PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Rey-Chase Park -late start-great finish

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Went to Marina Del Rey Chase park again in search of Halibut and Toad Bat Rays, it did deliver at least one of the desired targets.

Barbiregirl aka Marina Del Rey bat slay extraordinaire met up with me about 8:30pm

took a little while to get going but when it did, it was drag singing time.

Started out with Barbie warming up on a small sandshark, she seemed to be impressed by the lil feller but I knew what just may be lurking out there, a carolina rigged "sliced" chovie in about 25' of water was responsible for the 1st catch.

The camera battery died out so I ran to the truck to get some fresh juice, somehow I knew this would happen but as I approached the dock again, Barbie was on, and it was a big-un !!
She was battlin away and the fish was running for the pilings so I lent a hand to try and steer the fish away from the pilings, well I steered 'em out but unfortunately the hook pulled out...Damn !!! I'm pretty sure it was a real nice halibut, it didn't fight like a ray...Damn !!!

Well, all this time the lil sandshark is on the ground and we had all intensions of photographing and releasing....then.........WHAM....the other pole goes bendo and almost goes into the drink ! Barbie slams the hook home with a gut wrenching hookset...one that almost brought a tear to my eye ! and proceeded to battle her 1st Ray.....what a trooper, that was a real toad, drag screaming....that sucka took her for a ride...finally after a long drag singing battle (it was only 15 lb test on that pole) she landed it like a trooper....finally, we can take a photo of that lil sandshark ! we photograph release..then photo the Batray (look how she holds it boys...that's a lesson to all ya that are afraid of them rays ! they aint gonna hurt ya).

Well it get's released, a little while goes by, I discuss what might happen when the "big bait" pole get's hit and describe how the rays run like hell with it in free spool....then 5 minutes later...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
there it goes, and I mean it was running, I set into that sucka then all hell broke loose, it was peelin drag from hell, I couldn't stop it so I tried slowing the baitcaster down with my thumb....DAMN !
my fingers are burning up ! but I still do it then the hook came out DAMN ! that was my 50-60lb class I'd been chasin it was big ! : (
After reelin up, I found that it straightened the hook out some, thats why the hook pulled out...

Next up Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Barbies turn, Drag screamin from hell again, this time one that I'd guess in the 35lb class, she battled it well...like she'd done this stuff b4....quite a long battle...then SNAP....busted off...on 50lb test....DAMN !

The bigger models were nailing cut Mackeral in about 25' of water.

I got slammed one more time, it was running like hell but when I set, the fish must have had the edge of the bait cause I didn't hook it.

Some damage was done, but we'll get more again sometime soon, congrats to Barbie on her personal best fish, it was a great bite and a great night !.

Gary

barbiegirl
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks Gary I had a blast! Falling asleep I kept hearing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. lol Wow what a fight those creatures put up. I have bruises to prove it! I'm hooked, lets do it again soon! Here are the pics.

cappo
04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Awesome job out there. Looks like a fun night.

troutdog
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Congrats on the shark n rays BG (BatrayGirl)...you were pumped up lastnight/this morning Barbie! what a great way to spend the evening, glad you guys had so much fun and success. Keep the reports coming!

TD

one_leg
04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
That's a great start! Thanks for the report Gary.

Do you have better success with the fin bait rather than squid?

Barbie's is bigger than your's, but not by much, right Gary?

Looks like you kids, as Hitts0n would put it, 0wNeD!!!

O_L

Fisherman57
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry the big boy got away, but those are still some nice size BR's that you guys managed!.... cut mack eh?

Looks like you two had a fun evening!........ thanks for sharing!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
CENTER]

[CENTER]Do you have better success with the fin bait rather than squid?

[SIZE=4]SIZE]

O_L

You can get 'em on squid too, they love that as well, mackeral is just one of my "confidence" baits. at least in that area.

Yes, Barbies toad towered over mine by at least 4lbs probably more ! and quite a battle on only 15 lb test, I saw my pole double over at one point, I watched as she fought it in, I thought for a moment my pole would break but that would have been a small price to pay for the great action.

I think the bite was better cause we were fortunate enough to have a good tide working with us.
I really need to schedule my visits there around the tide, I've not been doing that, I've been just going whenever the wind points me there.

I think the surface fish should be picking up there as well during the day.
Gary

breeze71
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
WTH!!! Ray Chasers :rolleyes:

Hey Gary if you want a decent fight on your rod you're more than welcome to attach your hook around my tow bar and I'll reenact leaving work to go home! :cool:

Good job Garlic Gary & Barbie!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
WTH!!! Ray Chasers :rolleyes:

I'll reenact leaving work to go home! :cool:

Good job Garlic Gary & Barbie!

Forget leaving work to go home !
Leave work to GO FISHING !!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta try that garlic sauce on more than the trout, maybe a couple chives thrown in couldn't hurt either !

Hmnn...I wonder how that crave garlic gravy tastes if you cook 'em with it ?

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-10-2008, 05:51 PM

I take that back, mine towered over hers ......

klocked
04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Great catching there Gary and Barbie!!

I see a chain link fence in the background, was that between you and those rays?

ghetto dad
04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
good job gary....and brabie!!!!!

JSAUCE818
04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Another gary post, with another big fish....
Good job out there...

ghetto dad
04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Another gary post, with another big fish....
Good job out there...

spark plug fishing at its finest sauce......

Wingnut
04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
What a thrill! Well done on the Rays. :cool:

JSAUCE818
04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
spark plug fishing at its finest sauce......
lmao...you crack me up when you say that...lol....all i can picture is drop shotting with a "autolite" spark plug.....lmao...

ghetto dad
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
lmao...you crack me up when you say that...lol....all i can picture is drop shotting with a "autolite" spark plug.....lmao...
LOL!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ok, sorry for post jacking gary....peace