PDA

View Full Version : Cdm

McMeathead
04-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey all, I've been out and about between Newport Pier and the south end of CDM doin a lot of surf fishing, havin a great time. Haven't caught much, a few BSP and one Butt about 14", lol. That's why they call it 'fishing' and not 'catching' right? Haha. Anyway, always lookin for more tips and pointers. I'm actually really liking CDM lately, but not with a whole lot of luck. Something about that beach is very appealing to me though.... Anyone ever surf fish there? I'm headed down there tomorrow morning, wanna go? PM me... I have always been a very avid Flyfisherman, so I went to Sport Chalet today (I was right next to it, why not) and found a couple salt water flies that I had recognized from one of Wingnuts posts, and I'm excited about trying them out tomorrow. Also bringin the spinning outfit with my little collection of Kroc's. I'll leave a report (hopefully one filled with fish! haha) later tomorrow. Take care, and thanks again for the info...

Fisherman57
04-09-2008, 10:16 PM
CDM is one of my favorite places to surf fish........
Looking forward to reading your report!

Wingnut
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Hope the conditions are right and you can use the fly gear. Please let us know how you did! :D I bought a couple of Clouser Minnow flies from Sport Chalet, the Perch love them and the bigger versions might get ya a Hali. ;) Haven't fished the Corona Del Mar area yet so can't give you a heads up, but good luck! :mrgreen:

jplee3
04-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Maybe I'll seeya down there sometime! I used to go down there like every day after work last year, but then got a little tired of it + gas prices :(

I caught a few BSPs there and got a nice 19" Hali one time. It's nice because anytime outside of the summer time, you can park in the parking lot for free [well, at least last year]. I agree with you though - something about the beach is really appealing. I really want to catch something around the south end of the beach but it's inundated with kelp!

fightfan
04-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Maybe I'll seeya down there sometime! I used to go down there like every day after work last year, but then got a little tired of it + gas prices :(

I caught a few BSPs there and got a nice 19" Hali one time. It's nice because anytime outside of the summer time, you can park in the parking lot for free [well, at least last year]. I agree with you though - something about the beach is really appealing. I really want to catch something around the south end of the beach but it's inundated with kelp!

i've never fished the south end before but i've noticed that there is a sea of kelp there. so would this mean that there would be calico bass lurking about?

i'm a noob

sonarbp
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I really want to catch something around the south end of the beach but it's inundated with kelp!

The kelp is where alot of the bass will be......just use plastics rigged weedless with heavier line and you can get calico and sand bass with the occasional BSB!!!!!

good luck

sonarbp

4g63power
04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
hey McMeathead..i fish CDM here and there and yea..things can get very slow there sometimes..it should pick up once it gets close to summer time though..you will find bonito or cudas off the jetty...try to fish the harbor side beach for halis with LC or krocs..good luck to you out there

ddrahn
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
CDM is definitely either great or way off with no fish. I typically fish the jetty and am planning on hitting it up tomorrow morning (been a while because of the gas prices). Last year I nailed some good calicos (18" and 16") off the jetty using LCs.

Also had good luck on macks, cuda and bonies with kroks. Bonies probably won't show up until July but when (if?) they do it can be way out. They seem to alternate years for numbers and size. Two years ago they were running up to 18" in length and were plentiful. Last year a good size was about 14" and not that many.

You defintely can't go wrong for variety there - something different every week.