PDA

View Full Version : Sunday in Carlsbad, w/pix

Native Gal
04-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Hello fisher guys & gals,
We started a new remodel last week (weds) and worked hard until sat. Sunday is always the day off for us, so we set the DVR for Nascar and decided to hit Carlsbad for a lil fishing. Decided to bait & wait since we were beat from work. My husbands eldest son (Aaron) joined us for the first time and we had fun chilling in the sun and relaxing.
The bite was slow, we started fishing around late afternoon Aaron got the first nibble of the day. Did not see anyone catch anything. Got a few nibbles a little later but no takers. Later my husband decided to play with the lil bait fish at the edge of the weed bed. Tossed out a line by hand and ended up catching some lil bass instead, about 5 of them. Finally, an hour later we started catching some bass, still on the small side but fun nonetheless.
Next I catch something that is shaking my pole like crazy as I reel in, ends up tossing the hook near the shore. About 5 mins later I catch another fish that is going nuts and then starts to jump like a river trout in Idaho. We were all laughing because it was going nuts, 3 strait jumps and then a dive and he is off the hook. That was fun but I wasn't sure what it was. It was all silver and about a foot long. It was too far out to see. After about an hour and a half the bite slows.
The sun is almost down and we decide to see what night stalkers are out. Aaron unfortunately did not catch anything and he had to leave for home, it was fun having him there with us, he really wanted to catch a shark. So the night comes and we prepare for the catch.
After a lil while we are surprised nothing is out. Hmmm, a lil while later my husbands pole goes major, major bendo. His drag is screaming and he is pulled to the left. He says it is huge. I reel in his other line to his left and then his fish runs right. Now I have to jump over the rocks to get to my poles to reel in. Meanwhile his pole is still major bendo and the line is just peeling off like crazy. He keeps saying what ever it is, it is huge. As I start reeling in my line the fish dives down hard and his line slices clean right off. He says, "Why couldn't it have been on my heavy line". He caught a huge bat ray last summer and he said it was not a ray. Hmmmm, unfortunately the one that got away. We were left wondering the rest of the night what it was. It indeed was large, the largest either one of us has hooked into.
About 5 min later as he was calling Aaron to tell him about the fish I get a huge hit and start reeling in, it was something good but not the big one. We were hoping it was still out there and ready for some anchovies. It was a good fighter and ended up being a nice thornback ray. A half hour later I pulled in a cute lil smoothie to end the night. We were going to leave by 8 due to work but ended up staying several more hours. We wanted the big guy to bite again but finally decided to head home so we could wake up the next day for work. What a night we had. We fished with chovies most of the day and when we first got there I threw lures but did not have any takers. It was a fun day indeed. Enjoy the pixs, it would have been fun to have posted a pix of the big one, oh-well.

The fish count was good,
My husband decided he beat me because he included his 5 teeny bass, LOL.
Caught mostly bass between the 2 of us and I had my ray and smoothie I dedicated to Aaron, we called him the next morn and he was stoked.

Until next outing, tight lines to all :)
NG

FishNFurious
04-08-2008, 10:48 AM
That's a great report and nice pictures too. Very good job on all the fish, nice! :D

CoffeaRobusta
04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
All right. Nice report and pics as always. One of these days I'm gonna have to hit up some San Diego beaches when I head down there to visit my folks. Maybe I'll see ya out there!

Wingnut
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
That's a nice looking Ray NG. Admit it, you let your hubby win this time. ;) Excellent report and thanks for sharing your adventure. :mrgreen: