PDA

View Full Version : I like big buts I can not lie..

ToadsToadsOnly
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I dont really fish the surf very often but decided to hit long beach yesterday to chase some Halibut. I have not been out surf fishing since last summer. Fished a couple hours in the evening caught a 27inch halibut on a 5 ft trout rod 6lb line boy what a battle on the light takle. Didnt have a camra at the surf so had to take on in the kitchen right before it hit the grill.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/toadstoadsonly/halibut27in.jpg

blackwater
04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Nice job! and report...
look forward to my first butt...:)

sansou
04-07-2008, 10:43 PM
That's a great looking halibut on 6lb test & shorty trout rod!!

Nice job!

tacklejunkie
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice job! and report...
look forward to my first butt...:)
I hear that! I'm lookin' for the big kind! :lol:
If gas wasn't so much right now I might be out looking for them more often.
Nice fish man, congrats on the light line! Must have been crazy!

Wingnut
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Nice job! I bet you had your hands full with that big butt on light line... Bill Varney would've been proud! ;) :D

ToadsToadsOnly
04-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I hear that! I'm lookin' for the big kind! :lol:
If gas wasn't so much right now I might be out looking for them more often.
Nice fish man, congrats on the light line! Must have been crazy!Depends which Butt your looking for if you find a bigg one just feed her beans and you wont have a gas problem.

jerryG
04-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Ok so Toads Only and I were standing on the rocks trying to figure how the hell we were going land that fish. We had no gaff, no net, and no posibility of a beach landing. We needed come up with a plan quick. So I hand toads a swimbait which was tied to set up with some heavier line.

He used the swimbait to gaff halibut. We didn't bother trying to lift the fish out of the instead toads used the heavier line to guide the fish in to position. By this time the fish was exhausted. Toads was able to get his hand in under the fishes gills and then lift the fish out of the water. We left the flying gaff (swimbait) attached just incase until we got fish safely off the rocks. Everything went according plan...

JerryG

crappiemike
04-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Good Job In The Lbc!

Sinjin Kim
04-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Very nice.

Sometimes I wish I never got involved in bass fishing and continued to pursue saltwater game fish (especially halibut from the surf). Much cheaper and less tiresome.

Surf fishing is just awesome. No need to hire a party boat skipper to find you fish, no need for a boat, no need to stay up all night preparing tackle for an outing, cheap, peaceful, and most of all... very rewarding when a trophy fish is caught.

Bassripper2000
04-08-2008, 07:55 AM
What did you get him on? Lookin for some tips for big butts.

spooks
04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Very nice.

Sometimes I wish I never got involved in bass fishing and continued to pursue saltwater game fish (especially halibut from the surf). Much cheaper and less tiresome.

Surf fishing is just awesome. No need to hire a party boat skipper to find you fish, no need for a boat, no need to stay up all night preparing tackle for an outing, cheap, peaceful, and most of all... very rewarding when a trophy fish is caught.

sounds to me like you are ready to come back and feel stuck in a commitment to the bass thing.
you need to go where the fun is. fishing is a hobby to be enjoy not a jog to be committed to.
unless is your full time job.

ToadsToadsOnly
04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
What did you get him on? Lookin for some tips for big butts. Berkly minnow I think it was called Not sure i bought it a long time ago It works great for the shorts, with the occasional legal mixed in. The pattern I was using was green back with blueish purple flake it works for me often when fishing the surf. My #1 choice over this would be the gulp sand shrimp the small one Nuclear Chicken pattern. If fishing the surf all the surf guys would recomend is Crocodile, and the luckycraft flash minnow, Auro Black would be one of the favorites of the surf guru's oh yea and fish the tide sings <hour-2 after the incoming and outgoing tides it will increase your chance of cathing big fish. This is just a couple of tips to fish the surf hope you get the TOad that your looking for and TOADSONLY.

ToadsToadsOnly
04-09-2008, 02:27 AM
sounds to me like you are ready to come back and feel stuck in a commitment to the bass thing.
you need to go where the fun is. fishing is a hobby to be enjoy not a jog to be committed to.
unless is your full time job. Its hard to leave ocean fishing you always come back especially when your the pro at catching the biggo.. butts..Yellowtail is my forte and i would never stop fishing those brusers, and would rather catch a 30plus pounder over a 10 lb bass anyday.

Cangler
04-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Berkly minnow I think it was called Not sure i bought it a long time ago It works great for the shorts, with the occasional legal mixed in. The pattern I was using was green back with blueish purple flake it works for me often when fishing the surf. that your .

Those Gulp swimming minnows are pretty good.I use the watermelon ones.
They have a great action ...

pescado abajo
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
What did you get him on? Lookin for some tips for big butts.

a big stick is usually the preferred method. if you have some $$$, that goes a long way too. :)

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice flattie, congrats.....Hmmn some great eatin too to boot.

Nice work

jerryG
04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Its hard to leave ocean fishing you always come back especially when your the pro at catching the biggo.. butts..Yellowtail is my forte and i would never stop fishing those brusers, and would rather catch a 30plus pounder over a 10 lb bass anyday.\

Toads and I have discussed this topic many times and I couldn't agree more. Catching big largemouth is fun and all but it doesn't even come close the excitement of fishing saltwater.. Especially a good bite on the yellows, tuna, or seabass.

JerryG