PDA

View Full Version : Crowley - Mandatory Zebra Mussel Inspections!!!!

Sierra_Smitty
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
That's right folks. If you're planning on taking your boat up for the opener, you better be prepared for a mussel inspection. I just got wind of the press release and it sounds like it's going to be a very big deal.

Here is what I know so far....

1. Inspections will be taking place in the Kmart parking lot in Bishop beginning April 23rd and at Crowley Opening Day.
2. Completion of the inspections and paperwork will take aproximately 1 hour.
2. No boats will be allowed on Crowley without proof of passing an inspection.
3. CF numbers of all vessels who fail inspection will be recorded by the DFG and communicated to all local lakes - use of launch facilities anywhere in the area will be denied.

No word on whether Kayaks, Float Tubes or any non-motorized craft will be subject to mandatory inspections.

I'm expecting the complete press release to be emailed to me shortly and will post any other pertinent details as they become available.

-Smitty

one_leg
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow!!!, That is good to know. Thanks Jared.

See you soon.

ONE_LEG

FISH_HUNTER
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
"3. CF numbers of all vessels who fail inspection will be recorded by the DFG and communicated to all local lakes - use of launch facilities anywhere in the area will be denied."

DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:shock:

I GUESS THAT'S A GOOD THING.

Sierra_Smitty
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
"3. CF numbers of all vessels who fail inspection will be recorded by the DFG and communicated to all local lakes - use of launch facilities anywhere in the area will be denied."

DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:shock:

Yeah, this is going to really shake things up for us up here. The big question I have is in situations like our at South Lake, where we don't monitor the launch ramp or charge launch fees, who is going to enforce this? We're not the only landing in that situation and it's tough enough to staff our dock without having to babysit the launch.....will have to wait and see I guess. Luckily we won't be set to open for at least another 6 weeks so time will tell.

retired/lasd
04-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I think thats going to keep alot of boats off Crowley for the opener considering many won't know about the new regs.

Sparky70
04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Is this Zebra Mussel that dangerous? I've heard pro's and con's on this thing.

greeper
04-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Is this Zebra Mussel that dangerous? I've heard pro's and con's on this thing.

I was told buy some biologist from Wyoming that they can be dangerous, but they usually just kill themselves off and dissappear over time and everything is rosy..

INDOANGLER2
04-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for posting this report and keeping us informed. My guess is that boat rentals will be busy this year.

Will Crowley be ice free for the opener?

netdawg
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Gang,

PLEASE PLEASE do your homework on the zebra mussels! As a transplant from NE Ohio I can tell you these little buggers are rediculous to an aqua ecosystem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_mussel <---here's a link to just the wiki of these suckers, but make no mistake they are far more evasive than just out bidding the local mussels for food. They strip the area of almost all algea level vegetations and cause a lot of damage. Not to mention there are little to zero predetors to assist with the control. They reproduce at an alarming rate and as I mention damage the smaller end of an ecosystem to non-repair status once induced. More info can be found on the USGS site as well!

Everyone that's been in a water way with any exposure to the zebra's should take every precaution to rid your boats, boots, tubes, fins, ANYTHING that touched the water, of the mussels and their eggs. Please take precaution because our fishing areas will never be the same if we can't keep them out.

Sierra_Smitty
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for posting this report and keeping us informed. My guess is that boat rentals will be busy this year.

Will Crowley be ice free for the opener?

Crowley is already ice free....cleared out over the weekend after some heavy winds.

fishin417
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Will they still be holding the inspections at Kmart on the Friday before the opener? And at what times??
I live down in so cal and we have gotten real used to the inspections for the quaggas down here. A real pain in the butt, but understandable.

Clean & Dry!!!

Sierra_Smitty
04-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Will they still be holding the inspections at Kmart on the Friday before the opener? And at what times??
I live down in so cal and we have gotten real used to the inspections for the quaggas down here. A real pain in the butt, but understandable.

Clean & Dry!!!

After reading the entire press release, I'm still not sure. I sure hope so....a lot of folks stay down in Bishop for the opener so having additional inspection locations would make a big difference in this all going smoothly.

flytyingreloader
04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I won't be hitting the Opener, but will be heading that way a few weeks later. Hopefully by then some sort of system or procedure is in place and running to make the gig go smoothly. It's not bad at Diamond Valley Lake, and Big Bear Lake appears to really be getting ahead of the curve by having a hot-water spray rig available at one of the launch sites to nuke the little monsters with.

The whole thing makes the ocean look better and better for fishing as time goes on.

Flying
05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Anybody have any updates or comments on how the inspections went for Crowley?

I'm really interested in what was done with float tubes. I haven't found anything mentioned on them at the LADWP website (or anywhere else yet).

http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp010475.jsp

Flying
05-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Just found this about tubes

http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1208473407/4

http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/xx.gif (http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1208473407/0#0)
Float tubes on Crowley, good news for now.
Apr 17th, 2008, 4:03pm
As you all know, Crowley Lake now requires boats to pass an inspection before they will be allowed to launch. Floats tubes are not required to be inspected. According to Lori Gillem of the LAWP, there will be no restriction to tubes this year on Crowley Lake and you should be able to launch at most areas. However, they are requesting that you clean and thoroughly dry your waders, tubes, and equipment.

Desiccation, or thoroughly drying everything that comes in contact with any other body of water (infected or not) is very important. It is the only way to prevent the spread of Quagga Mussels.

Your cooperation and diligence is very important in keeping waters open to float tubers. If any water body becomes infected while boat inspections are in place, the finger will point to float tubers even if they are not responsible.

Dry everything and then dry it some more!

I will be using the potassium chloride solution found at the LADWP site for cleaning my gear too.