PDA

View Full Version : Sea Horse and San Clemente

pyronut
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Hey Guys,

Had to get some salt in the blood sence I live here in the desert. I headed out to Dana Point Sportfishing to fish on the Sea Horse overnight trip. So I left Vegas friday afternoon for the long drive down and got to the landing five hours later. Got checked in at the landing to find out that there was a nice load of 15 guys on the boat.

At 7:30 we loaded the boat and at 8:10 we were off. Tyler gave us his boat speach and said we were going to San Clemente in search of the yellows that they had seen there before all the weather. So off the Catalina for a tank of squid and the ride out was a little bumpy. Well after waiting a couple hours to get bait we were finally off to Clemente. We got there around 4:30 am and did a little fishing in the East end waiting for the sun to come up. At 6:45 am we are off for the back side looking for yellows and thats all we did for several hours with a really narly swell and a 25 knot wind that was nuts. The swells just kept building and the wind even harder with swells around 8 to 10 feet at times. Well as you expect no love from the yellows.

At noon we head back to the front side to fill the bags and DAMN the wind is just as bad here to. We set up for a few drifts and the boat was moving very fast. I used 16oz of lead and coud not stay down. After drifting from spot to spot and putting some quality reds and whitefish in the sack it was finally time to go home and it was like a Victory at sea ride for a while.

I had a lot of fun but didn't get any pictures because it was such slow fishing. The crew was very awesome and Tyler worked hard to find fish but the Snotty Weather just would not let it happen. I really recommend this boat and can't wait to head back over again for another trip.

Here are a couple pictures I did get to take and hope you all have enjoyed and take it easy

Pyront

deanhall32
04-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Nice report and I agree with you- the Sea Horse is a nice old boat for an overnighter. Tyler and his crew ( Butch) are hardworkers and fun to fish with.

Theedanimal
04-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I was on this trip as well. Weather was so bad.. but Tyler did his best. It can only get better from here!

Daniel

Jig-Guy
04-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Question? Does the Sea Horse (out of Dana Point) have bunks to lay down on during the travel to and from the islands. Their web site does not talk about the boats just how to purchase tickets.

Tight lines,

Jig-Guy

OH and thanks for the report. You guys can get those tails next time:).

deanhall32
04-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Question? Does the Sea Horse (out of Dana Point) have bunks to lay down on during the travel to and from the islands. Their web site does not talk about the boats just how to purchase tickets.

Tight lines,

Jig-Guy

OH and thanks for the report. You guys can get those tails next time:).

The Sea Horse has at least 40 bunks. They are your standard bunks, 3 high in the center and on both sides. No curtains if I recall.

FISH_HUNTER
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Those Pictures Look Very Calm, Must Have Been At First Light
Tough Luck On The Forkys. Least You Got Something To Fill The Sack. You'll Put The Gaff To Them Next Time.;)

Ricky-Ray
04-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the report. Too bad about the weather at least you guys made the best of it.

pyronut
04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the rplys guys,

That picture that looked really calm was taken in the east end where the wind and swells weren't t bad. Tyler and crew did all they could and tried everything in there power to get fish but I guess thats why they call it fishing and not catching..... The Sea Horse dose have buns that were pretty comfortable for being an overnight boat. Next time I will bring an extra blanket cause it got cold in my bottom bunk. The boat may not be the fastest on the west coast but a great crew and a comfortable ride makes me want to go back on that boat really soon again.

thanks again all

Pyronut

ThanksKK
04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the report. Long drive from vegas to the ocean. At least you had a good time. Ironic...It reminds me of when I went to lake mead last year and didn't catch anything and on the way back to so cal, the "produce" inspection near barstow inspected the s*** out of my boat for mussels.

pyronut
04-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the report. Long drive from vegas to the ocean. At least you had a good time. Ironic...It reminds me of when I went to lake mead last year and didn't catch anything and on the way back to so cal, the "produce" inspection near barstow inspected the s*** out of my boat for mussels.

yeah know the feeling. When we bring our boat over to fish the ocean I get stopped and it has never been less then a 20 minute ordeal with these people. The funny thing is they have absolutely no idea what they are looking for. Yeah its a long drive for a few fish but its nice to get out of the desert every once in awhile....