PDA

View Full Version : Owens River 4/1 to 4/6

retired/lasd
04-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Drove up Tues morning to fish the Owens. The desert along 395 was covered with wildflowers, mile after mile of carpets of yellow flowers.

Hit the Owens south of line st. and fished for 6 hours, using a Red Rooster Tail yielded a beautiful 4 1/2 pound rainbow. I lost another one that was the same size when my line snapped.

During the next few days I fished the same area and was rewarded with some of the biggest wild/naural rainbows I have ever caught in the Owens. The stretch of water I was on was filled with nothing but big fish. I caught 9 fish that ranged from 18 to 24 inches using either Worms or various lures. The big fish really put up a fight,taking 5 to 10 minutes to get them to the net. I only kept 3 to bring home to eat, all in the 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pound range. The meat was almost orange in color.

On Sat. afternoon had a scary incident when some bozos about 600-800 yards away were parked on a hill shooting guns. Standing along the river I suddenly heard 4 bullets go whizzing by and 30 seconds later I see 3 rounds hit the river about 10 feet in front of me.
I grabbed my gear and drove to where the idiots were shooting and asked them if they knew that I was down there fishing. They said no, I read them the riot act as I was highly upset. I told them where they could safely shoot without endangering other people.

The weather was perfect, low 70's and a light breeze. There were very few other people fishing and had the entire river to myself. The burn area south of Warm Springs allowed access to areas that you normally couldn't get to, but the new growth of vegetation is already coming back.

Overall I didn't catch alot of fish over 5 days but the fact that I caught so many big fish made up for it.

Sorry no pictures

chris
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
nice report sorry about those idiots i have had that happen to me while out camping! it's amazing how some people manage to make it through life

FISH_HUNTER
04-07-2008, 02:13 PM
GLAD YOUR HERE TO POST THE REPORT!! MAN IMAGINE IF......:shock:
AMAZING HOW PEOPLE JUST DON'T THINK BEFORE THEY ACT:angry::smack:

tpfishnfool
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Great report, I would have wrapped the barrel of that gun around those fools neck ! WTF ?
Idiots !!

sierraslam
04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Very nice trip! Being an x police officer I bet you read them the riot act! what IDIOTS! I Enjoy your posts no matter what board they are on. You have to get some pics. with your posts and make us all drool over your days on the Owens. good fishin!