PDA

View Full Version : What's a Perch Look Like? (No answer at BC)

City Dad
04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I've forgotten... I think I caught one once, a long time ago. I went to Bolsa Chica this morning to continue my string of skunkings. Threw crabs, bloodworms and crack. Nothing. Stopped by the jetty and saw a guy nailing walleyes, but I had to get back home...

I did run into Tackel Junkie today and he was absolutely slaying the hermit crabs.

All in all a good day. Learned a lot.

And oh, yeah, if anyone has a good recipie for sandpiper, you might want to forward it to Wingnut.;)

Wingnut
04-06-2008, 06:41 PM
And oh, yeah, if anyone has a good recipie for sandpiper, you might want to forward it to Wingnut.;)

:rofl: Hey now Tim, I thought that was "our" secret. Thanks for helping me unhook the beast... I mean the "bird". Fought better than anything else I caught all morning. Nice seeing all of you guys out there today... fun stuff. :cool: :D Dana will probably post up something later. ;)

howstar
04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I was nice to have met you today, sorry to hear the you got the old bagel. I hear the sandpiper tastes like Condor or Bald Eagle. LOL

tacklejunkie
04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Dude that hermit crab fought good! :lol: a PB new species!
I actually felt something on the line when I brought him up. (thought he was salad!)

1 big fat 12" football prego dropping babies from the surf and then it was partially WO at the jetty.

Sorry to hear of the skunk CD. That beach can be tough at times. Even tougher to find the hali's there :bang: I'm telling you, you guys have it good up north!

flyngby
04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Too all!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to pass on getting out there with you all today but had to give respect to some lost friends and fellow firefighters and families on Fri/Sat and this Mon/Tus.

Glad to see so far that fun was had even though the little creatures might not have cooperated..

Unbelievable!!!!!

Arthur must have been hit by a big wave and it took all of his gear away with it.

QUOTE=howstar;169416]I was nice to have met you today, sorry to hear the you got the old bagel. I hear the sandpiper tastes like Condor or Bald Eagle. LOL[/QUOTE]

Here is a recipe for his catch. The only problem is that it call for 2 Birds for each serving!!

• 8 Western Sandpiper (cleaned and rinsed)
• 1 cup fresh mushroom, chopped
• 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon table salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 1 teaspoon scallion, minced
• 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
• 8 orange slice (for garnish)
• cooking spray
Directions
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325-degrees F.

2. If the sandpiper has been hooked in the wild, inspect them all for hooks and lead weights, removing them with tweezers or the point of a paring knife.

3. Lightly rub all the sandpipers, inside and out with the seasoned salt.

4. In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the mushrooms, bread crumbs, and table salt until the mushrooms tenderize a bit. Stuff the sandpiper with this mixture.

5. Using the same skillet, make a roux by pouring in the olive oil and browning the flour in it. Then, add the chicken stock, scallions, red pepper, and parsley to the roux and saute the mix for about 5 minutes, until the onions are tender.

6. Next, spray a baking pan or large casserole dish with cooking spray and place the stuffed quail in it. Pour the sauce over the quail.

7. Baked, uncovered, at 325-degrees F. for 45 minutes, basting 2 or 3 times during the baking process.

8. Serve two sandpipers to a person and garnish each plate with two orange slices. Serve cooked white rice as a side dish.

Great job all!!!!

PS Arthur

Some one from the event PM'd me with this photo of your only hook up of the day!!

Wingnut
04-06-2008, 08:31 PM
:rofl: Great recipe Steve, that bird would have made two generous servings. :bigsmile:

Nothing but Perch today. I threw the LC until my arm gave out. The surf in the OC was rough! Hope all is well with the services and duty calls the last few days, been a tough week for ya. We'll see you at the next gathering. ;)

Hey C.D., back to our turf next weekend? :mrgreen:

CoffeaRobusta
04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Ha Ha.....I remember looking down the beach and going.....did he catch a fish or a bird?

It was nice meeting all of you today.

Fisherman57
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice seeing you out there Tim...... it was a tough day indeed.

I missed Wingnut's PB Sandpiper, but I heard it fought pretty good! :lol:
They can be tough! LOL!

Im glad all you guys were able to attend as it was my pleasure having you there......

Steve, although you couldnt attend, I certainly understand why and I extend my condolences to you and all the families involved. I will have something for you soon and the next time we go out, lunch is on me my friend.

and Tim..... pick a day that you and the others can head out and we'll take some little ones fishing. Hope to see you soon at Zuma.

IslandBoi
04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Don't feel bad City Dad....I felt your pain as well...I was out there Saturday and didn't even get a bite.....

one_leg
04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
I wonder if I would have been able to catch anything out there?

I guess I'll never know?

Thanks for the report.

olfishergal
04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder if I would have been able to catch anything out there?

I guess I'll never know?

Thanks for the report.

If I managed to catch (3) I am sure you would have done much better

Nhatster
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
A sandpiper?!? Hilarious, you didn't tell me about that bro. Reminds me of the time I caught a seagull fishing in San Diego once.