PDA

View Full Version : WSB Hunt

kanco
04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
WSB hunting but no catching

Jerry, Rafa (my fishing buddies) and I decided to head to Catalina on Thursday night on our first WSB hunt on the Off=Track.
Met up at my house around 6 p.m. Loaded up the boat and headed for the Davies' ramp for the ride across.

Once we left the harbor we saw that we were in for a bumpy ride across. 10MPH almost all the way....2 1/2 later we got the the V's and found about 8 other boats trying to catch squid.

Dropped the anchor and started setting up our squid lights....pulled out the little generator and tried to crank it up but no dice. Pulled off the carburetor and cleaned it up but it just would not start. After trying to start that damn thing for about 1 1/2 hour I gave up. Jerry and Rafa knocked out in the cubby and I stayed up and hoped to hook a fish using the frozen squid we picked at Albertson's. Dropped two rods and within five minutes, I heard my clicker going off. Grabbed the rod from the holder start working the fish toward the boat. Get it to the boat and find out the it was huge betray. This scene repeat it self about twelve times through out the the night.

Around 5:30 in the morning I decided to pull the anchor and go in search of the squid boat to purchase some live squid. Bought half a scoop and headed back tot he back side of the island. Made several drifts on different spots but we were not able to hook any fish. No one around us seem to be hooking any fish either so around 10 a.m. we decided to head back and take advantage of the flat conditions. 35MPH all the way back to the oil rigs for some rock fishing.

Made two drifts and three rock fish came on the boat and that was it. The ride back to the docks was as bumpy as it was when we left on Thursday night.

No WSB this time but I am hopeful that I will hook my first this season once the weather and water warms up.

plumbertom
04-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Better luck next time.
I wish My boat was ready to go.
Til then I have to rely on the party boats.

Tail Chaser
04-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the detailed report.
Seems like the WSB bite has stopped for the last couple of weeks.
Could be,
They are just gathering in numbers waiting for me to show :)

ThanksKK
04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about going to Catalina this week, but I better wait and do some closer-to-shore fishing.

kanco
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
yeah the bite is pretty much non existent at the island. We couldn't even hook a bass....using live squid, strips and nothing!

Doing rockfishing for now :)

Greg Madrigal
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Nice try anyway Kanco. That's how you catch em! Another day, another time, you'd be reporting that lunker croaker-45lbs +!

Keep on it, you'll get her.

Thanks for the great report.

GM<><