PDA

View Full Version : Oceanside Surf 4/3

Possman
04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, being very excited after a good outing the other day, I geared up yesterday after work and ran down to the same spot I got fish in the other day. However upon arrival I quickly realized today would be different. First of all they were dredging the harbor and as I was only about 400yrds south, the water was muddy and stunk. I figure this could be good or bad, cause if they're pumping mud out of the harbor there'd be a lot of critters (bait) sucked up too....but the water was pretty gross. It also messed up the sand really bad and the spots I scouted at low tide last week were clearly messed up. Second I brought my 6lb setup (used 10 the other day), but I hadn't used it in a while and got a massive birds nest on the 2nd cast! Got it cleaned out, but didn't have much line left. A few casts later and my Bimini broke (guess I need some practice). Decieded to go home and lick my wounds.

You guys have any input on the dredging issue? Have you found it to turn the bite off? I kind of assue the fish avoid the brown stinky water....

Wingnut
04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
I fished a few months back in the Santa Barbara Harbor right after they finished dredging. The water was stained and smelled pretty bad. We vacated the area real quick & hit up some other spot after catching a few Smelts & Perches. Plenty of spots to hit up without having to put up with the smell and off colored water.