PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Rides???

coachb44
04-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey All, I stumbled across a website called "ShareYourBoatRide" dot com this evening. The whole premise was about private boaters sharing costs with strangers/friends/whatever for a day of fishing, all done legally as opposed to being a charter boat for hire. They had posted a copy of the laws concerning boats for hire, and the whole damn thing made sense to me...there shouldn't be a problem with a few guys sharing the costs of a trip with a boat owner when he wants to go out.
I bought a great little sportfisher last year for a great price, but just today I picked it up from my marine service guys that went through her from stem to stern, diddied her all up and made her more dependable than she already was, and it wasn't cheap!!! AS ARE today's fuel costs!!! So again, this whole idea of sharing boat rides makes perfect sense to me.
My boat, "Outlaw", is a 26' Hydrasport with a cuddy, portapotty, electronics, bait tank, outriggers, 200 gallon fuel tank, pretty much full blown all one needs to fish comfortably, but with the twin Johnson 200's, it's expensive to run for just myself when I want to go out. I would LOVE to have a few dudes share those fuel expenses with me from time to time!
Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts from all of the SoCal saltwater fishermen and the administrator of this site about "shared cost trips". Maybe set up a board just for this kind of thing?

hakaveli
04-04-2008, 12:43 AM
thats a good idea with share cost section

IslandBoi
04-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Coach B .....

It's always nice for a PBer to offer his boat for trips .... This happened once before and unfortunately things happened and it just didn't work out.....

My advice to you is this ......

Come to a couple of our events .... meet some Team 57 guys and gals, enjoy the friends/family atmosphere .... Once we get to know you a little better, I'm sure people will possibly take u up on your offer ...... Don't take anything personally, Like I said, this has come about in the past and unfortuantely it didn't work out.....

Good luck though!!!!

IN2DEEP
04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Not a bad idea to pick up passengers to help share the cost of your trip.
I think you should at least meet the guys before inviting them out with you to avoid personality conflicts. Well, if that matters to you that is.

I'd be concerned about being sued if something bad happens on one of your fishing trips.
Maybe have them sign a waiver so you will not be liable (just a thought)

Anyone else agree or disagree with my thoughts?

Tail Chaser
04-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Not a bad idea to pick up passengers to help share the cost of your trip.
I think you should at least meet the guys before inviting them out with you to avoid personality conflicts. Well, if that matters to you that is.

I'd be concerned about being sued if something bad happens on one of your fishing trips.
Maybe have them sign a waiver so you will not be liable (just a thought)

Anyone else agree or disagree with my thoughts?
I agree 100%
Living in a sue happy state really sucks.
Can get rough out at sea at times
Don't want to get sued cause some stranger stubs his toe.
Getting together with strangers that have the same hobby. (Fishing)
Should usually work out pretty good.
Unless someone is a major A Hole.
Its probably like blind dating.
Try out different boats and boat Ho's
Through the good bites and slowbites.
Hopefully you find a good fish killing buddy.

If I didn't already have a boat.
I would want to go on that 26' Hydrasport. Just for the boat ride :)

Tail Chaser
04-06-2008, 08:04 AM
If your up to San Clemente island or the Cortez Bank when the yellowtail show.
I would be happy to help on the cost of running YOUR faster boat going to them waters.

Your Hydrasport must cruise at 30kts+ im guessing. Weather permitting of course

FNN
Has the Rendezvous section for hooking up on fishing trips.
May find some Boat Ho's there

chris
04-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree 100%
Living in a sue happy state really sucks.
Can get rough out at sea at times
Don't want to get sued cause some stranger stubs his toe.
Getting together with strangers that have the same hobby. (Fishing)
Should usually work out pretty good.
Unless someone is a major A Hole.
Its probably like blind dating.
Try out different boats and boat Ho's
Through the good bites and slowbites.
Hopefully you find a good fish killing buddy.

If I didn't already have a boat.
I would want to go on that 26' Hydrasport. Just for the boat ride :)

is that why you never pm'ed me back about shark fishing in 2006. i thought you heard something from someone.j/k

Tail Chaser
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
is that why you never pm'ed me back about shark fishing in 2006. i thought you heard something from someone.j/k

Really? Chris
I never got back to you?
Totally sorry if I didn't?
Its not like me not to get back to someone.

You have the flying gaffs and that stuff. Right?
Ive never had a full enough chum bucket for the shark fishing.
Tried for the sharks one time shortly after our messages.
Small amount of chum with one frozen Mac.
Farmed it in about 2 mins flat :rofl:
After that, I sorta retired from Professional shark fishing :)

YEP!.... Bringing Internet strangers on board is a bit awkward. (Haven't done it yet)
So without follow up emails. Not sure if you were really serious. And me being a little spooked.
So I'm off on my solo adventures again.
No drama, Just good times :)

Would be awesome to have a cool person along to chase after the big fish though.
Usually having women on board. Don't make for fish catching #1 priority

Tail Chaser
04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Coach B .....

It's always nice for a PBer to offer his boat for trips .... This happened once before and unfortunately things happened and it just didn't work out.....

My advice to you is this ......

Come to a couple of our events .... meet some Team 57 guys and gals, enjoy the friends/family atmosphere .... Once we get to know you a little better, I'm sure people will possibly take u up on your offer ...... Don't take anything personally, Like I said, this has come about in the past and unfortuantely it didn't work out.....

Good luck though!!!!
Actually that one boat your thinking about.
The guy became a FNN celebrity. Taking guys out to the Horseshoe.
Unfortunately, His boat needed a lot of repair and maintenance. He barely kept it running at best.
He cut every corner possible to save money. Used non marine parts, Not Coast Guard approved etc. Boat was a dirty mess. But people wanted to fish on it anyway.
Then the really bad mishap happened. Which was totally preventable.
Usually a bad day on a pvt boat is having to resort to rockfishing, To beat the skunk

chris
04-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Really? Chris
I never got back to you?
Totally sorry if I didn't?
Its not like me not to get back to someone.

You have the flying gaffs and that stuff. Right?
Ive never had a full enough chum bucket for the shark fishing.
Tried for the sharks one time shortly after our messages.
Small amount of chum with one frozen Mac.
Farmed it in about 2 mins flat :rofl:
After that, I sorta retired from Professional shark fishing :)

YEP!.... Bringing Internet strangers on board is a bit awkward. (Haven't done it yet)
So without follow up emails. Not sure if you were really serious. And me being a little spooked.
So I'm off on my solo adventures again.
No drama, Just good times :)

Would be awesome to have a cool person along to chase after the big fish though.
Usually having women on board. Don't make for fish catching #1 priority

i was just giving you hard time. i remember you posting about a girl fishng with you shortly after our conversations via e-mail and lets face it i can't compete with boobs. Then i got my lil metal dinghy harbor worthy, it's a mackeral killer, hahaha. i freeze a lot of macks for the lobster season and occasionally get into some leo's or rays with them but haven't braved the seas to try to get a mako or thresher in it yet.

Tail Chaser
04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
i was just giving you hard time. i remember you posting about a girl fishng with you shortly after our conversations via e-mail and lets face it i can't compete with boobs. Then i got my lil metal dinghy harbor worthy, it's a mackeral killer, hahaha. i freeze a lot of macks for the lobster season and occasionally get into some leo's or rays with them but haven't braved the seas to try to get a mako or thresher in it yet.

At least you have a boat you can take out any time you want.
Been some threshers takin on YAKs at La Jolla.

I'll treat some women on a boat ride occasionally
But most my trips are multi days at the islands.
Little to hardcore for the lady's.

Plan to step it up this year.
Spending more time at the offshore banks late after dark.
Not seeking shelter in the coves till midnight or so.
Makes ya kinda wonder if there's one of them Rogue waves with your name on it.
Sneaking up on you after dark

coachb44
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey All, thanks for the responses and especially the thoughts/ideas. ISLANDBoi, thanks for the tip...I defenitely will have to try to get to a couple events...IN2DEEP, thanks especially for the waiver idea, I never even thought about that. Hopefully by the end of this season, I'll have a few buddies where waivers won't be a necessity!
BROKEN, yep, she's a helluva ride in nice water. 30 knots, well, I haven't run her that hard yet because I'm too cheap on the gas ;), but I'm pretty sure she's capable. DEFENITELY want to run to Clemente this year a few times. I'll let you know when. Maybe have to trade you a trip to Clemente for a trip on your boat with women I can ogle ;)

Tail Chaser
04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I thought the twin 200 hp outboards have a top speed around 50 kts on a 26 ft boat.
With the sweet spot cruising speed around 30 kts

Must be the 250 Hp twins in FL that do 50 kts in there nice calm waters.
We got it a bit more bumpy out here.
20 kts in 6ft seas is very comfy on my 26 fter.