PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Lopez

JFisher
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Wen't up to Lopez Lake on the 30th with my family to have a relaxing trip. I had never been there before so I had no idea about the fishing there. I read a few reports about smallmouth and trout so I packed my gear for them. When I arrived there I got my stuff and headed down to Cottonwood cove to see if there was any action. I tried a few spots and left releasing only 1 fish. I thought it was a carp but I learned It was called an arroyo chub. The next day I decided to find one spot and stick with it the whole day. I found a nice drop off and stayed there for hours. I baited up mostly with nightcrawlers. I got my first hit about an hour after I cast in. After all the fish I had seen caught the day before, I believed a 12 incher was a good size for the lake. Throughout the day I caught a few more stockers. At about 6:00 in the evening I had a big hit. It took me about 2 min to reel in. When I got the fish in I was amazed. The day before I saw people fishing for hours pulling in stringers of fish only under 12 inches. This fish I pulled in was about 18 inches long and extreamly fat. It weighed in at 3 lbs. This fish had about 3/4 0f an inch extra tail growth. sorry no pics. Lopez is a very beautiful lake and a great place to visit.

johnsfishing
04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
cool!! nice job on your trout!

Were private boats being launched at the lake?

Ill be up there this week coming up! :cool:

johnsfishing

BBfish
04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Nice job on the fatty

They are beginning to plant some Calaveras trout for the upcoming trout derby the first weekend in May. They will approach 24 inches and 4 - 5 pounds. You probably got one of those.

Private boats are still being allowed.

I'll be out there in the next 3 - 4 weeks a couple of times looking for some of the derby fish.

BB

johnsfishing
04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
thanks BBfish.

vagabond
04-03-2008, 10:36 PM
jfisher,any word on the crappie????in going tue morning for the day,nice job on the stockers...

BBfish
04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
The manager at the marina's name is Jerry, He said in the paper today that the crappie bite is taking off.... He caught 20 in an hour this last week. Go to the marina store and ask him where exactly

vagabond
04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
The manager at the marina's name is Jerry, He said in the paper today that the crappie bite is taking off.... He caught 20 in an hour this last week. Go to the marina store and ask him where exactly
thanks for the info ill call the marina and see whats up...

fishfinder
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I have reservations for memorial day weekend. can't wait, never been there before, and it will be nice to go somewhere new. Any-one got any pictures around the campsite i would like to see them. i will pm you my email if it would be easier to send pics.
Any-one else going up on memorial day let me know and maybe we can hook up for some fishing. I have a boat, and would like to get some panfish.

JFisher
04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
If you go on the Lopez Lake website you can find actual images of the campsites. I stayed in the Blue Jay site and loved it. All of the sites looked relatively nice when I visited. Hope you have a great time when you go!!!

fishfinder
04-14-2008, 07:56 PM
If you go on the Lopez Lake website you can find actual images of the campsites. I stayed in the Blue Jay site and loved it. All of the sites looked relatively nice when I visited. Hope you have a great time when you go!!!

yea i saw the website and picked out one of the last campsites in beaver by it, but they dont show a wide view, like how close they are to the others, but i will post some when i get back. we will have fun, just beeing there as a family. cant wait.

BBfish
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
They did start the intensive check on private boats... standard clean and dry stuff...

BB