PDA

View Full Version : NPH Spotties

flyngby
04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I had the pleasure on Monday to take a new member Eddie from the HESBROS on my ride in the harbor.

Since hooking up with him on New Years Day on the HESBROS out of Dana and several successful combo Hooping and Fish trips in the La/Long Beach area I was able to get him to go on my smaller ride for his expressed desire to catch a Spottie!!!

Arrived at his door at 0500 with boat in tow and launched around 0630 at the Dunes. Tried several of the usual spots on the way out for nothing but some short bites on the plastics. Stopped at a few of the public docks to make the normally easy live bait for nothing. We went to take a look at the outside to maybe get out of the harbor all in frustration on my part.

The water quality and tides were not in our favor all morning.

I was on a mission to accomplish the goal to get Eddie his first Spottie so keep working it hard and moving around. It was about 1200 or so that I managed to entice a just legal Spottie and an hour or so later get another on a soaking ghost shrimp as we moved along.

As the tide turned inward we went to the upper turning basin and set on a drift due to Eddie believing the area looked good for a Butt. He was right and I got my first butt on plastics.

Still determined to get the primary mission accomplished I moved to an area we had success a couple of weeks ago and was able to get a quick spottie.

As I moved to take care of something on the rear of the boat Eddie jumped into the Bow and began to throw while being distracted by how to work the trolling motor and alow me a little relax time to stretch out myself.

That is when the magic happened and bendo for his first and very beautiful Spottie.

We continued to work the area to pick up on 1 more each.

It was a slow day but as Eddie always says and I agree that is not always about the catching but spending time together.

Congrats Eddie on checking another species off you list and not your last SPOTTIE!!!

All were CPR'D

Some Pics and Eddie has some on his camera I assume he will post also.

Wingnut
04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Well done Steve, nice job on the swimbait Hali and those are some great looking Spotties. See ya Sunday. ;) :D

HESBROS
04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Stevo, thanks again for the guided tour and Spottie lessons. I had a great time, it may have taken me all day to finally hook up, but it was worth the wait. Hope you did not mind me taking over the controls those couple times, your welcome to captain the "Hesbros" anytime.

sansou
04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the succesful outing and adding a few more species on the list!

tacklejunkie
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Good work guys. Grats on the new species!
I gotta get out there and search down my first spottie sometime!

chris
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
that's a real nice first spotted bay bass. in the halibut thumbnail it looks like eddie is holding a huge halibut i was shocked at first then saw the hand under the fish.
i have a 1985 force outboard 85 horsepower like the one on your boat.

Wildhorse1966
04-02-2008, 09:25 PM
nice job out there guys .. i fish the same dock from time to time and there are alot of spotties in that area ... one time i had a spottie hit my lure while i set the pole down and he took the whole pole in the water LOL i got lucky and snagged the line and pulled the rod back on the boat or it would have been a $400 loss between the rod and reel

Fisherman57
04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Way to hang in there Steve.....

Always nice just being out on the water and good job having HESBRO Eddie on board with ya!

I received your PM and no worries my man, I totally understand and look for a PM from me tomorrow.

Thanks you guys for the TEAM 57 representation, we appreciate it!

Dana
Fisherman 57

TShaffer
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
beautiful place to fish... got into some action a couple years ago on my friends boat. we probably caught and released 40 fish between us, al on swimbaits and trolled rapalas.

good job, tshaffer

spiceguy
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Wtg Steve. Butts on plastics is fun, eh?

one_leg
04-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Butts on plastics is fun, eh?

Must....resist..........cannot...reply............ ...................:neutral:

Nice going! Thanks for the report.