PDA

View Full Version : El Porto Halibut Hunting 3-29-08

bsp
04-02-2008, 05:49 PM
I know this is a bit late, but a late report is better than no report!

This Saturday I finally had an opportunity to go surf fishing on, so I took it. I got to the beach at low tide (11:30am) and started looking around for structure. I found a nice trough (4 feet deep) about 10 yards from the shore that I followed until it emptied into a big bowel. There were some scattered bait fish inside the area of the trough right next to the bowel, but nothing was chasing them. Outside the outer break near the bowel there were about 10 pelicans working a bait ball. I started casting a Sound Mute Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 in Metallic Iwashi. In the middle of my retrieve I noticed a pelican hovering over the water near where I had cast out. After watching it for about a minute, I realized that it was following my Lucky Craft! I burned the lure in and watched the pelican fly off. This happened to my two more times, and it was the only action I had for the next 3 hours. My cousin was using Gulp and caught 5 or 6 perch after showing up an hour after I did.
This may seem like a dumb question, but do you guys use a straight retrieve (just reeling) or do you use a twitch-twitch-pause retrieve? Thanks.

Sinjin Kim
04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
A slow/steady retrieve is all I do when using hardbaits. You just need to catch a few large fish on it and develop confidence in it.

Wingnut
04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
A slow & steady retrieve gets just about every fish in the surf.
Wouldn't hurt to pause it once in awhile. ;)

Fisherman57
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
No wonder I havent been catching anything!

OK..... I'm switching to a slow and steady retrieve.;)

DrGrnthmb
04-03-2008, 03:32 AM
You should hit me us some time BSP....I fish redondo to dockweiler surf weekly...mainly El Porto, and I got sum secrets....PM me

bsp
04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
It appears that I will be doing a slow steady retrieve from now on! Thanks everybody!
DrGrnThumb: I mostly go fishing on the spur of the moment (when I have some free time), so I do not really plan many trips. If I see you on the sand I will be sure to say hello!

DrGrnthmb
04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Thats cool BSP, probably see u out there....be sure to check out El Porto at extreme low tides, you will see the FAT holes those waves create, and the FAT fish they produce ;)