PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

Metalfisherdude
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey guys I'm planning on going out on one of the half day boats out of Newport Landing as soon as they start their A.M trips during the week. So what kind of gear, lures, weights, hooks do i need? I also plan on renting a rod there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ymin72
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Most of the landings sell terminal tackle as well.
Usually with rent rods, they also have a package of terminal tackle offered for sale. Ask the landing office. They'll know best.

Oz
04-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey guys I'm planning on going out on one of the half day boats out of Newport Landing as soon as they start their A.M trips during the week. So what kind of gear, lures, weights, hooks do i need? I also plan on renting a rod there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

on all terminal tackle just call the landing a couple days prior to when u want to go out to find out what they will be fishing for so u can go to ya local tackle shop and get the right stuff...or like said most sportfishing places have there own tackle shop and u can pick it up there or on the boat. but you are limited to what they have tho.

good luck with that.

Ricky-Ray
04-02-2008, 01:58 AM

Newport rent's both conventional and spinning gear, it's your choice on what you want to get. If your going right now on a 1/2 day trip most likely you are going to be fishing for rockfish or maybe bass. Hook size would probably be a 1/0 or 2/0 would be most likely the common size used and some torpedo sinkers 3-8 oz maybe even up to 12 oz's, couldn't hurt to get a couple of lead heads also if your bass fishing. That would be basically it, but I would still call the landing at least a day ahead of when you are going and ask them what's the tentative game plan and what are the tackle recommendations, and they will be more than happy to tell you.

RL-IN-OC
04-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi Noob, if you rent a rod from Newport Landing, they include a small pack of terminal tackle, hooks weights and plastics, if you lose your tackle they have plenty on board, if you plan on fishing a few times, you might want to invest into a 20#-25# setup, Check out the fishing Swap meet this Sunday off of Ritchey in Santa Ana, you might be able to find a decent used setup. I fish out of Newport Landing regularly, the staff will take good care of you. Good luck !

Metalfisherdude
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Is there any color plastics I should get before going?