PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody catch sardines from the pier?

spitbreaker
04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
i read some posts from other website they are saying that they caught nice size sardines for bait at balboa pier, newport beach for halibuts. they catch at least two legal size off from the surf using live sardine. How do u toss its out?

Sinjin Kim
04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
i read some posts from other website they are saying that they caught nice size sardines for bait at balboa pier, newport beach for halibuts. they catch at least two legal size off from the surf using live sardine. How do u toss its out?

Light C-Rig or a split shot if the current isn't too much of an issue and the swells are down. I personally would fish with smelt as they are hardier in the bucket than sardines. Make sure you change out the water often.

spitbreaker
04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
thanks bro i going to get more info on sardines from pier which coming in and out

makersmark
04-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Sinjin is right, the smelt will outlast the sardines. You can catch both from the pier using a sabiki rig or a salmon egg hook with a very small piece of bait. As for presentation, you should listen to Sinjin, he knows his stuff on the surf.

chris
04-02-2008, 08:52 AM
i don't use much live bait but my smelt patterns are the go too not the sardine's

Hottuna
04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi, I went out off of belmont pier recently. I used a sabiki rig with pieces of squid. I went and cast off of the right side of the pier by the bathrooms. Anyhow, anytime I dropped the rig into the water I would get a bite in less than 5 minutes. Mind you, this was about 2 hrs after sundown, so I am not sure if it was the time of day that mattered most. We had bait whenever we wanted. The sardines were a little too big for my liking. We caught nothing on them though.. However, I am sure we would of if we stayed longer. Looong story short: get a sabiki rig and you will get your sardines and anchovies.. :)

rockbass
04-03-2008, 10:10 PM
sabiki rig

Yep.....

the smelt will outlast the sardines.

double Yep........