PDA

View Full Version : Dana Halibut update 3/30

ikeman
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Went down to Dana around 3:00pm and decided to throw some LC's for halibut off the rocks. I met some guys in the parking lot that were at Irvine lake all day with only 1 catfish for the efforts. One of the guys, Brendon, asked what I was using for bait and I said I was going to throw some hardbaits. He had a few freshwarter Rapalas and decided to try one on his trout pole. Within 20 min. he had 2 legals both over or close to 30"!!! Murky water color with a little more clarity out further.

I was fishing with a buddy and two others around him with no love whatsoever. Not a tap! He couldnt believe it and I don"t think he is much of a saltwater guy.

His lure was a Rapala, around 5" Chartreuse/Orange body. A crazy looking paint job maybe like a Countdown Fire tiger or a Shallow shad rap Fire tiger pattern. I was just looking on Rapala's website and that's all I could find. The body didn't look like a shad body but I was 110' away, so I couldn't tell for sure. I didn't get a good look at it but the crazy thing was that he was ripping it on a very fast retreive! He didn't know what it was, just bought it at Sport's Authority.

We were throwing the usual LC"s, different suspending depths and patterns, with no avail. We tried anything with the orange green patterns, leadheads even skirts, the same exact spot he was at, nada. Tried Dropshotting peal patterns, nada.

Bizarre. Just goes to show, you never know what may work!!

I went to Mission Bay last week with my son and had a good day with a nice sized scooter to get the day started. I'll post some pics later.

Jeff

Fisherman57
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
A couple of legal Hali's always makes for a great day no matter what they bit on! LOL!...... thanks for sharing the report!

Looking forward to seeing the Mission Bay pics too!

Bwood
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I think i was fishing next to you for a little while. Did not catch anything on the doho side, caught 2 Sand bass over on the railing after you left in the harbor.

ikeman
04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I think i was fishing next to you for a little while. Did not catch anything on the doho side, caught 2 Sand bass over on the railing after you left in the harbor.

Yeah, that was me. I fit the currado on a med/fast action and went to Long bch yesterday, got a short on dropshot pearl berkley jerk shad. Nothing else. Had some time after an L.A. Meeting
Big difference in sensitivity.

The harbor's waking up recently on the bass! Throw those tiny mojo's with a 1/6 jig head.
Deadly!

Pm me if you want to hook up to fish sometime.

Jeff

steve092
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Nice job catching some hali's!