PDA

View Full Version : Owens River 3/23-3/25

dooblehaul
03-31-2008, 10:16 AM
It was my spring break from teaching this past ten days. A friend and I decided to drive up to Bishop and fish the Owens. We are both die hard fly fisherman and refuse to catch trout any other way. It was my first time in the area and I was pleasantly suprised that a place like this exists here in CA. I am not a native resident and moved to this state in the fall of last year. It's been a challenge to find some sort of serenity in the outdoors here. In Bishop I finally found the peace and quiet I've been looking for. The people who recreate and live in Bishop are friendly and for the first time in a while I felt comfortable in my surroundings. We fished for three days straight taking breaks here and there to have some lunch or just take in the beauty of the place.
We mainly fished the burn section in chalk bluff, which was frustrating due to the ash and charred remains of trees and cattails. Even though everything was burned the fishing was supriseingly still good.

Day one: Fished Chalk Bluff burn section. both of us caught 6 browns, none over 15 inches.
-most fish were caught on dries, water was fairly clear.

Day two: Chalk bluff again....We decided it was big fish or nothing on this day. So, we started with deep nymphing and after catching many 14 inchers we got frustrated and switched to 3x for some streamer stripping. My fishing partner caught and 18 incher the day before on streamers. We fished them for 2 hours hitting nearly every deep outside bend we came to. (that produced nothing). It was a good idea, but just didn't produce any fish. So, for the afternoon we switched back to deep nymphing landing and releasing many fish throughout that evening.

Day three: We got frrustrated with not breaking the 20 inch mark over the course of 2 days and took an unplanned side trip to the upper owens (pics included) This proved to be a bad choice because the water was in the begginning stages of blowout-murky and discolored. I put on the flashiest nymphs I had and both of us ended up landing 2 ten inch browns each. It was a real bummer that the upper Owens was blown out, but at least I know where to go later in the season. We ended our day back on the lower and my fishing partner hooked into what we thought was going to be the fish of the weekend.....Instead in was a 23ish inch sucker. Toooooo bad, I really thought we were going to break the 20 inch mark.

Overall my Owens experience was awesome, and I plan on making a few more trips later this spring and maybe even this summer. Bishop and the surrounding area were like a little slice of home for me. Hope you all have tightlines this spring and keep posting those great reports.

one_leg
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Tyler, I am really glad to hear that you have finally gotten to see the area up there. The people are the salt of the earth. Real nice folks.

Nice looking fish there too. Too bad it was a sucker though. That would have been a real nice brown.

Just wait until the High Sierras open up again. I have fallen in love with that place. I can only imagine what it was like up there 100 years ago.

Congrats to you both.

One_Leg

Trout-Slayer77
03-31-2008, 10:38 AM
nice report and good pics.... glad to hear you enjoyed the bishop area, there are many great fly fishing spots along the 395 !!! cant wait to get back up there again myself. keep the reports coming !

Skyler
03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Nice. Nicer spot than the colorado would have been this time of year IMO. Think you picked a good spot to spend your spring break. Wish I could have made it, but my truck is STILL in the shop! Damn hard to find/rebuild computer systems! Good job on the fish, Tyler. Hit me up when you are ready for deep creek, he he. Tight lines.

chris
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
you have to go back further it gets nicer and more remote. they open most of the general area at the end of april. It really is like leaving southern california.
thanks for the report and the pictures

steve092
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Nice fish man!
Especially that brownie!

Carrie
04-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Nice report! Pretty much all the people up there in Independence, Lone Pine, Bishop and on up are really nice people!! I find the Sierras is my absolute fav place to fish. The Owens, I found, was a very challenging river to fish. Nymphing seems to work quite well there. I took an introductory lesson at Brock's Flyfishing when I used to live up near Bishop. Great people and great fishing! I miss it!! Nice report and it is a beautiful place!