PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine / Bishop 3/29

fish'n fool
03-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Went with my fishing buddy to Lone Pine for some trout fishing. Fished the sand trap at Lone Pine Creek. Started at 0630 using brown PW's and #2 test line, a #12 Owner Mosquito hook with a small splitshot. Catching a few fish with them. Switched to orange and the bite picked up. As the day got brighter, switched to perch colored tube jigs with a brown PW trailer. The bite continued. Almost each cast was a bite. Lost a lot of fish due to my ineptness at setting the hook. The action was non-stop. The best fishing was at the outlet of the sand trap. Most fish 3/4 lbs with a few up to a pound. Finally left at 1130. Total: about 40 trout each. All C & R'd.
Continued to Bishop after lunch and fished the Owens River below the Pleasant Valley campground. This section is C & R using barbless artificial lures. Used a Cabela's 2-1/2" floating minnow (rainbow trout pattern). These are similar to Yozuri Pins Minnows except they are less than half the price. Began walking downstream, casting the lure out letting it drift down about 30 yards before putting the reel in gear and retrieving. The brown trout would hit the lure quickly, so you had to be ready to set the hook. Most of the browns we caught were about 3/4 lb but lost a couple that were probably bigger. Had fought them for a couple of minutes with line being pulled off my reel before they were able to spit the hook. Not sure how they could do that. Seemed like they were hooked well. Anyway, the fight is always fun as even the small trout seemed bigger as they would sometimes get into the river current making the battle more difficult. Finally stopped after 3 hours. Total: 14 brown trout, all C & R'd.

FishnSierra
03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
good job.

i went to the sand traps few times...its only about 30yards long and 5 yards wide right?? Yah fishing there is pretty chill, a good place for campers and local to get dinner for that night. Towards the end of summer it gets massive weeds tho.

Trout-Slayer77
03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
thanks for the detailed report.... glad to hear you got some nice browns !!

Carrie
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Sounds like you got some good numbers on fish there. I had a lot of problems setting the hook when I fished the Owens in the past. These fish get smart! I totally understand...it can get frustrating! I was going to fish below Pleasant Valley Reservoir last Oct but I saw all those rules and didn't want to deal with it...haha. Sounds like you did well!

fish'n fool
04-06-2008, 05:57 PM
The regs don't bother me that much. I don't use bait. Pretty much artificials lures. I always pinch down the barbs anyway on all my hooks. Makes it much easier to remove from clothing (without destroying your clothes) and your skin. The browns on the Owens are wily and can throw the hook in the blink of an eye. Quite a challenge. I'm looking forward to the general Eastern Sierra opener. I usually fish the Bishop creek drainage and Crowley (later).

Joshua
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
The regs don't bother me that much. I don't use bait. Pretty much artificials lures. I always pinch down the barbs anyway on all my hooks. Makes it much easier to remove from clothing (without destroying your clothes) and your skin..
BE careful with pinching down the barbs, that is not always enough. I was told by a game warden that he will drag a piece of paper along the hook, if the bent over barb catches the piece of paper you get a ticket. Seems a little harsh to me.
I have always bent the bard with pliers and called if GOOD. According to the MAN with the citation book that isnt enough. Be careful my brothers (and sisters)

Badfish2
04-15-2008, 12:29 AM
yeah, that's definitely true. The DFG up there are pretty strict, you have to run your finger over. Make sure you feel nothing when you do