PDA

View Full Version : eastern sierras Question

fishrookie
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
i want to go fishing up there and i wanted to ask is it worth taking my bass boat for the lakes or is it better to fish from shore. if its better from shore then i want to take my camping trailer

Poseidon
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Ya it is better fishing from shore because you get more action.
Well with my experiences Shores is the best for me. I got limits in 15 minutes. For example Sabrina lake, last year I got my limit in 15 minutes. I went to there outlet(need a boat to go to the inlet, so we rent one) , and the fish hit everything. However, my dad is a boat person, he catches the trout on boat like no tommorw.
from My personal experience a boat with do u no good. Every one fishes from the shores. If you are really desperate for a boat you always can rent it. If you want to go to a lake like Crowley you need a boat for sure.
I haven't yet caught a lunker trout from the ES, and I have been going there for 5 years. Hopefully this year with more info i can score the lunker limit.

DreStyle
04-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Fishrookie. I have yet to have a good fishing experience in the Sierras since I have only been there once and didn't know jack when I went. Now that I've learned a little more I plan to make a few more runs on the Sierras and hopefully I'll have some more success. As far as your boat goes, alot of people like to troll up there in certain lakes so if you're into that and your boat is rigged up for that, then I definately think it's worth taking it. There are many lakes that are big enough for your boat and many that are not and some that don't allow them. I don't know the specifics on that but some people that might would be TroutOnly, FearNoTrout, or Sierra Smitty.

fishrookie
04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
thanks for the info guys. i think i will leave the boat and take my camping trailer.

diamondbear
04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
FR , taking your camping trailer early in the season would be wise even thou its not as cold as normaly would be this time of year . not knowing the launch ramp setups of each different lakes in the region and where you really want to fish , just fish from shore at the different lks. over the next year or so and look for reports of that lk. and check out the lnch. rmps. also so you know the skinny on getting in and out . Convict lk. can be tricky on a busy day as other sierra lk. ramps are narrow and short . good luck // db

socalfisherman
04-15-2007, 08:40 PM
i want to go fishing up there and i wanted to ask is it worth taking my bass boat for the lakes or is it better to fish from shore. if its better from shore then i want to take my camping trailer
i want to hit up that area to this summer :D

fishrookie
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
are they all good lakes to camp and fish at or is there some that are the choice ones to go to?

Brian_GSC
04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I usually take my boat, and rent a condo! Shore fishing is definitely fun and productive, however I usually do better in my boat.

Troutman65
04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
The June Loop Area is nice. Lakes , streams, a little bit of everything. I camped at Grant lake. It was nice. My Brother and I did rent a boat at the lake. I caught a nice brownie their.

DanKBecker
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
are they all good lakes to camp and fish at or is there some that are the choice ones to go to?

In all honesty, they all are nice. Some of my favorites is Gull Lake (in June Lake Loop), Rock Creek Lake, Virgina Lake, and the Upper Twin Lakes. Crowley is good fishing, but it is a pretty barren. . . and in my opinion. . . kind of ugly.

troutdog
05-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Troutman65 has a good suggestion...June Lake Loop offers quite a bit...I like Silver alot. Camping is also nice in the Bishop Creek area...fish in the stream right when you wake up and hit any of 3 lakes within a 10 minute drive, but check for lakes that are still iced over. Good luck.

TD

diamondbear
05-06-2007, 05:44 PM
HEY FR . the june lk. loop is good right now , fishing june lk. at the west end where it meets the north part of the lk. near the reeds and keep an eye out for grant lk. in the evenings coming this summer [ troll a hornsberg fly at the west north end , flat line no wt. ] when the sun goes down behind the mnts. you have a shadow over the lks. for a good hour or so , Convict is also a good spot , youll find the water is pretty clear so troll 8 colors of lead DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS with flashers and worm in the west north part of the lk. good luck , let us know on how you do // db

MrSteve87
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I take my pop-up trailer and my kayak on the roof. But I end up fishing from the shore - We go to Rock Creek lake (and the creek). Every year around mid september.

fishrookie
05-19-2007, 08:40 PM
thanks for all the info i think i am gonna head up there next week :D

INDOANGLER2
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
If you want quality fish, there is no place like Crowley, and you will need a boat. Fish Camp Marina has good rental boats but at $90 a day for a slow 30 hp boat, you'd wish you brought your bass boat. You can always fish from shore at nearby Convict or the June loop.

Have a great time.

DanKBecker
05-27-2007, 03:24 PM
thanks for all the info i think i am gonna head up there next week :D

Make sure to take some pics and write a report to let us know how it went.