PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Guitar Lesson in N. Zuma - Another Multi-Species Day 3/30

Wingnut
03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Had a little BBQ get together with some friends at the pad Saturday night and decided to hit the surf for a couple of hours Sunday morning. Inspired by Kevthecatfishstudent 39 inch Flat Boy report, I wanted to get out there to see if any Butts were willing to play. Checking with the tide chart only to find that the conditions will be less than ideal this morning. A very stagnant low tide was in effect. A constant drizzle was falling with an occasional gusts of wind. Half way there my cellphone rings... it's Big Dave (DFish) asking if I was still going. I'm already out the door I told him and he says that he'll meet me out there. Perfect timing, got to North Zuma at seven, right when they were opening up the gate. Put on my waders and headed for the beach.

A cold drizzle was coming down and the wind was already blowing. I put on the LC in the BSP color pattern and started casting into the retreating surf. Lots of salad in the water today and the water clarity was fair at best. As I was working the surf near the gate entrance, waiting for Big Dave to arrive, the rod tip on the Cumara dipped sharply and the fight was on! This fish fought a lot like a Halibut with plenty of head thumping and a strong & steady pull. A couple of minutes later a small 2 foot Shovelnose washed onto the sand. I managed to snag this strange looking fish on its back. My first Guitar Fish even though it didn't really count, due to being foul hooked. :evil:

What an odd looking creature. :shock: The thing would not stop moving... very strong fish.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture010-15.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture005-17.jpg

I started throwing the Holographic Kroc on my other rig and a few minutes later... the ol' reliable spoon produced yet again! :D A good sized YFC.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture022-8.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture023-7.jpg

Just as I was sliding the Croaker back into the surf Big Dave shows up. The nicest surf fisherman I know. ;) :D
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture011-14.jpg

DFish and Wingnut.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture016-10.jpg

We spent the next two hours throwing everything except the kitchen sink into the surf without even a strike. The bite completely shut down. The outgoing tide produced shallow, tough to fishing conditions and the surf was full of salad. The wind intensity picked up a few notch and it was getting a little chilly.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture014-12.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture019-9.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture021-9.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture017-10.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture015-12.jpg

We decided to head to one of our go to spots... nothing but a few Perch there. It finally started to heat up quite a bit but the wind remained pretty strong. Stripped down to a T-shirt and enjoyed fishing in the warm sun for awhile. We decided to call it a day at around eleven and headed home.
No Flat Boys today but there's always the next time. ;)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture035-4.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture024-8.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture023-8.jpg

Nothing too exciting happening today, it was nice just getting out. Got stuck in traffic coming back home on the 101S. They shut down the freeway due to a shooting. Took me two hours just to get back home when it should have been a 30 minute drive. :mad: :evil:

Great fishing with you again Big Dave! You're definitely one of the "Good Guys". :cool: :D

Until my next report, have a great week everybody.

Arthur (Wingnut) :mrgreen:

"Be slow in choosing your friends, and even slower in changing them..."

Z-TUNAKILLER
03-30-2008, 06:47 PM
HEY NOW WN, SWEET PICS & REPORT :thumb:

LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A FUN DAY-O-SF !

Z

FISH ON !

flyngby
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Congrats on the new species!!! Shovels have fooled me before in NPH to think I had a nice Butt. Not exactly the flatfish you were looking for but another personnel best!!!!!!!!!

Great job again and look forward to fishing with you soon if I can track you down.

Steve

chansen49
03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
WHAT? NO fly rod? I'm telling dean..... hahaha

I gotta try some of that... surf fishing that is.. do you eat any of them?

Chris

Native Gal
03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
WN,
Cool looking shovel nose, I have been wanting to catch one of those.
Looks like you gents had a great day, Congrats!
Love your hat, you don't need to remind us that you are on fire when you fish ;)
Hmmm, great pixs, do you now have a personal photographer, LOL.

Tight Lines,
NG

BBL2Baja
03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
To think, before today I had done something Wingnut hadn't accomplished in the surf. I've caught a ton of those SNGF. However, never as big. So, not only did you catch up with me, but surpassed me as well! :wink:

Arthur, as always great report! And yet another nice hat! :)

Later,
Scott

Fisherman57
03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
SNAGGER! :rofl: J/K LOL!

SNGF!.... they are strange looking indeed. At the very least...... you get to check off another species!

Ya know, I was gonna ask ya how ya like that LC in the BSP color pattern and if you've had any results with it?..... The one you gave me is still in the wrapper.... I was kinda holdin off until we were out on a good Hali bite before I threw it......

Nice to see Dave out there too!..... hope to do some fishing with him soon!

See ya next Sunday morning!

Santa Fe Eric
03-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Awesome fishing buddy! You da man!

Eric

sansou
03-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Great report again & great pics! Congrats on your first shovelnose....your the only person I know who catches their first shovelnose on a lure!! :shock:

I predict a 45 inch halibut coming from you!!

IslandBoi
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Nice going Wing my boy.....your truly an inspiration to all us new guys starting to surf fish, it can be done.....One of these days, I'll have to catch up with you and steal some tips, hahahahaha j/k

tacklejunkie
03-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Nice croaker WN! Those are neat fish too. Weird stuff on the sngf. You think he went for it before he got snagged up? Sometimes that'll happen too..
Looks like the treble went in as if it was pulled from the front area of the fish?

Great report as always man. Keep up the good work!

City Dad
03-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Wingnut,

Sincerely,
City Dad

FishNFurious
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
That's not an exciting day surf fishing? If I caught a croaker, a shovelnose & a bunch of perch in a same day I would be doing cartwheels! :lol: :D

I just noticed in your pix that you carry both a right-handed AND a left-handed baitcastting set ups. Doesn't it feel a little strange switching from one to the other? I know that you can write with both hands and I've seen you play golf with both right and left handed clubs and that is just plain weird to me! :shock:

btw, The barbeque was awesome, so much food, the giant prawns on the grill was a nice touch Art. It's funny how we decided to play Mahjong all night instead of cards. Didn't help me though, still lost money. :evil: See ya next week.

Vince :cool:

blackwater
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Nice going Wing my boy.....your truly an inspiration to all us new guys starting to surf fish, it can be done.....One of these days, I'll have to catch up with you and steal some tips, hahahahaha j/k

You and a zillion other people. :lol: I know you're probably kidding but I've been out fishing (fresh & salt) with Arthur and having people come up to him and say, "You're Wingnut!" or "You're that guy on FNN..." and proceed to follow us around all day. :evil: Arthur is a nice guy, but I can see that it annoys the crap out of him sometimes. Give the guy some space... SEND HIM A PM!!! Trust me, Art is nice enough, he WILL help you. ;)

Nice job again Arthur, I haven't seen Big Dave in a long time. Is he going to be there this Sunday? :cool:

Phuong
BW

Wingnut
04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Z-Tunakiller wrote: HEY NOW WN, SWEET PICS & REPORT :thumb:
LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A FUN DAY-O-SF !
It was a fine day Z, all it was missing was Mr. Flattie. ;)

Flyngby wrote: Congrats on the new species!!! Shovels have fooled me before in NPH to think I had a nice Butt. Not exactly the flatfish you were looking for but another personnel best!!!!!!!!!
Great job again and look forward to fishing with you soon if I can track you down.
I wouldn't mind tangling with a SNGF once in awhile. This little one fought pretty good. I would imagine that a 3-4 footer will really give you a run for your money.
I'll make you a deal Steve, you give my buddy Surf Master Mike (Kichigai1) an interview for your Fire Engine, and you can name the time & place that you want to fish with me. ;) :D

Chansen49 wrote: WHAT? NO fly rod? I'm telling dean..... hahaha
I gotta try some of that... surf fishing that is.. do you eat any of them?
Stay tuned, another fly fishing surf venture is in the works. ;) I haven't kept any of the surf fish that I caught, not even a Perch, all CP&R so far. I may keep a legal Butt one of these days, but who knows.

Mleegal wrote: Cool looking shovel nose, I have been wanting to catch one of those.
Looks like you gents had a great day, Congrats!
Love your hat, you don't need to remind us that you are on fire when you fish :wink:
Hmmm, great pixs, do you now have a personal photographer, LOL.
Those Shovelnose really pulls hard! It was cold out that morning, the flames on the beanie kept my head warm. :mrgreen:

BBL2Baja wrote: To think, before today I had done something Wingnut hadn't accomplished in the surf. I've caught a ton of those SNGF. However, never as big. So, not only did you catch up with me, but surpassed me as well!
Arthur, as always great report! And yet another nice hat!
Thanks Scott, my "hat of the month" came in the mail. See ya Sunday, you're going right?

Fisherman57 wrote: SNAGGER! :rofl: J/K LOL!
SNGF!.... they are strange looking indeed. At the very least...... you get to check off another species!
Ya know, I was gonna ask ya how ya like that LC in the BSP color pattern and if you've had any results with it?..... The one you gave me is still in the wrapper.... I was kinda holdin off until we were out on a good Hali bite before I threw it......
Nice to see Dave out there too!..... hope to do some fishing with him soon!
See ya next Sunday morning!
Guilty as charged... I snagged the sucker. :lol:
The BSP pattern LC did okay that day, a couple of cannibal Perch. I caught a couple of shorties on it so far, it has potential, that's for sure.
Big Dave says hello, I gave him his Team 57 shirt that day.
See ya Sunday!

Santa Fe Eric wrote: Awesome fishing buddy! You da man!
Thanks Big E, I bet Kev hasn't come down off his high from that big Flat Boy yet.

Sansou wrote: Great report again & great pics! Congrats on your first shovelnose....your the only person I know who catches their first shovelnose on a lure!! I predict a 45 inch halibut coming from you!!
I like that prediction Rich! Let's see if I can make a prophet out of you. See ya Sunday!

Islandboi wrote: Nice going Wing my boy.....your truly an inspiration to all us new guys starting to surf fish, it can be done.....One of these days, I'll have to catch up with you and steal some tips, hahahahaha
If I can do it, anybody can do it... still learning something new every time that I go out there.
If you have any questions, shoot me PM, I will answer it to the best of my ability.

Tacklejunkie wrote: Nice croaker WN! Those are neat fish too. Weird stuff on the sngf. You think he went for it before he got snagged up? Sometimes that'll happen too... Looks like the treble went in as if it was pulled from the front area of the fish?
Great report as always man. Keep up the good work!
I don't think the SNGF took a swipe at the LC, they're basically scavengers and feed on stuff that's on the bottom. It probably was just laying there on the bottom and the low running LC brushed up against it. I caught it in pretty shallow water, so I know that's what happened. See ya Sunday Casey.

City dad wrote:
Wingnut,

Sincerely,
City Dad
I hear you C.D., no need for words, you and I pretty much communicate telepathically anyways.
Are you ready for the Butt hunt? See ya Sunday Tim.

FishnFurious wrote: That's not an exciting day surf fishing? If I caught a croaker, a shovelnose & a bunch of perch in a same day I would be doing cartwheels! :lol: :D
I just noticed in your pix that you carry both a right-handed AND a left-handed baitcastting set ups. Doesn't it feel a little strange switching from one to the other? I know that you can write with both hands and I've seen you play golf with both right and left handed clubs and that is just plain weird to me! :shock:
btw, The barbeque was awesome, so much food, the giant prawns on the grill was a nice touch Art. It's funny how we decided to play Mahjong all night instead of cards. Didn't help me though, still lost money. :evil: See ya next week.
I guess I'm a little spoiled Vince, I wanted Mr. Flattie.
I usually carry both right & left handed with me. It's nice to be ambidextrous because when my arms gets tired from working the surf, I switch from one to the other. Maybe I'll see ya on Sunday buddy.

Blackwater wrote: You and a zillion other people. :lol: I know you're probably kidding but I've been out fishing (fresh & salt) with Arthur and having people come up to him and say, "You're Wingnut!" or "You're that guy on FNN..." and proceed to follow us around all day. :evil: Arthur is a nice guy, but I can see that it annoys the crap out of him sometimes. Give the guy some space... SEND HIM A PM!!! Trust me, Art is nice enough, he WILL help you. :wink:
Nice job again Arthur, I haven't seen Big Dave in a long time. Is he going to be there this Sunday?
I really don't have a problem with people I meet out there, most of them are really nice. They just want some tips & information to better themselves. I've been with Dana (Fisherman57), Big Dave (DFish) and Mike (Kichigai1) and have people come up to say hello, most are very nice and courteous. But on occassions, there are a few just looking to poach fish and raid your spot. Like the one time you and I were at Redondo and that guy walked up to me on the beach. He seemed really nice at first, but proceed to fish shoulder to shoulder with me. He was watching me intently trying to see how I work the lure. All he had to do was ask. Then when I caught a small 18" short butt, he begged me to let him keep it. That's when I told him to get lost. :evil: When we got back to the car to head for another spot, he started to follow us. You pulled over, got out and started walking towards his car and he took off. These are the lurkers that you have to worry about, not the ones that just want to improve on their angling abilities. There's good and bad individuals out there... that will never change.
See ya Sunday Phuong. ;)

steve092
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Good report!
Looks like you guys had a great time!

Nhatster
04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Weird looking things those shovelnose guitar fish. Some people eat those things. Nice job again bro! :cool: :D

crivera175
04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
great report:thumb:i go to malibu almost every weekend,maybe we could hookup and you could give me lessons.ive tried surf fishing but nothing yet:cry:.sooner or later i will get something.
crivera

Wingnut
04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Steve092 wrote: Good report!
Looks like you guys had a great time!
Thanks Steve, it was a fun day. :cool:

Nhatster wrote: Weird looking things those shovelnose guitar fish. Some people eat those things. Nice job again bro!
I wouldn't mind hooking up with a big SNGF, like a 3-4 footer. The little one fought hard, similar to a Halibut style thumping. I'm not surprise people eat these things. Juts about anything out of the ocean is edible.

Crivera175 wrote: great report:thumb:i go to malibu almost every weekend,maybe we could hookup and you could give me lessons.ive tried surf fishing but nothing yet:cry:.sooner or later i will get something.
Where in Malibu are you fishing and what techniques are you using... bait or artificial? If you want some tips and/or advice send me a PM, I'll try to steer you in the right direction. ;)