PDA

View Full Version : 15.10 LB 39 Inch Halibut NPH by Kevthecatfishstudent

Santa Fe Eric
03-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I did not write a rap because this is a significant event for my #1 fishing partner and I just want it to stand on its own merit. Kev called me on Friday and let me know that The Flat Boyz were hitting Newport Harbor that night. I decided that I would roll. Santa Fe in the Portabote, Getn2fishin in the Pontoon, Kevthecatfishstudent and Three in the float tubes.
We fished from like 5 PM to 3 AM. We caught many different species:
Spotted Bay Bass
Sand Bass
Leopard Shark
Croaker
Halibut
It was a great night of fishing. We fished mostly plastics on lead head and drop shot, some “fresh dead” as well. At about 2:45 AM the Big Barge came through and we all moved practically out of the water (much respect for the Big Barge (particularly in middle of the night).
Kev and I get about 35 feet from shore and his pole bends like a horse shoe. He says, I think this may be my best fish. Kev fights the beast for like 15 minutes, while kicking back to the shore. This fish would not be subdued and turned that landing net into paper clips. Finally, Kevthecatfishstudent becomes Kevthehaliprofessor.
The coolest thing is that during that whole time four fisherman floated in the dark in NPH fighting one of natures wonders, all of the references were about Kevin, his biggest Halibut, and one of the coolest fishermen on FNN Wingnut! Kev, one of the best fishermen I know was saying, “This might be one of those Wingnut type Halibut”

Sinjin Kim
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
WAY TO GO! That is one hell of a fish! That channel consistently produces large halibut this time of the year and well into summer. I've heard of guys spear fishing at night. With their flash lights, they look for the eye of the halibut and the rest is history. They've told me that they see a large amount of halibut in the 30" range but only try to stick one that is 40" or better. Would I ever try something like this? Hell, no. Sharks love to feed at night and are known to enter harbors. :shock: To many other dangerous as well.

It is amazing how much weight a halibut adds on after it reaches the 26-28" mark. My halibut weighed nearly double what Kev's 39" fish weighed. Kev's halibut was on the thin side, because that fish should have easily weighed 20+ pounds for its length.

BIGRED KILLA
03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice job out there guys way to go on the hali.

Bigred

tacklejunkie
03-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Nice Kev! :shock: Awesome job mang!
Killer report guys, must have been a heck of a night.

Tail Chaser
03-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Sweeeeet.......
You payed your dues out there at them hours.
Nice fish

one_leg
03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks Eric.

Congrats to you, Kevin!!!

O_L

Wingnut
03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
AWESOME!!!! Congratulations on the BIG BUTT! Bigger than any Hali I ever caught! Very well done, must have been so exciting. Next is a 40+ then a 50+ ;) :mrgreen:

BTW - I appreciate the nice gesture guys. Well deserve Kev! :D

ghetto dad
03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
GREAT job kevin!!!!! thanks eric...
GD

calico killer kevin
03-29-2008, 08:46 PM
AWESOME!!!! Congratulations on the BIG BUTT! Bigger than any Hali I ever caught! Very well done, must have been so exciting. Next is a 40+ then a 50+ ;) :mrgreen:

BTW - I appreciate the nice gesture guys. Well deserve Kev! :D

Soon you're probably gonna book a trip to Alaska. BTW nice fish Kev.

sansou
03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Outstanding!

Well deserved for a nice group of gentlemen anglers! :thumb:

TunaChaser469
03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Nice job out there. beautiful fish. And kudos to you guys for float tubing in the dark like that.

FreeWilly
03-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Holy crap, very nice on the Hali.

:D

steve092
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Congrats on the nice fish!

Thanks for a report.

Fisherman57
03-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks Eric......

and CONGRATULATIONS Kevin on a EPIC fish! :thumb:

CASTAWAY
03-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow, that's a humongous Halibut! Congrats Kev.

Thanks for the report Big E.....

Nessie Hunter
03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Big CONGRATS to Kev the man!!!!

Nice catch dude, good job....

Eric, thanks for the report, Great job to you all.. !!!!

chris
03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
allright nice catch i love that spot

Native Gal
03-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice Hali, Congrats :thumb:

NG

flyngby
03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
:notworthy::beer::appl::appl::appl::appl:

First of all great job braving the night and some BIGGGGGG boat traffic.

Very nice Flatty!!!!!

Steve

Z-TUNAKILLER
03-30-2008, 08:00 PM
hey SFE, VERY NICE HALI :thumb:

Z

FISH ON !

Kevthecatfishstudent
03-30-2008, 11:19 PM
First of all I wanted to say thank you to all of you for the congrads and big ups to my boy Big E there is no one else I would have wanted to share this event with. E forgot to mention that he and I had commited to staying for one more fish before i caught that fish and E really wanted to staybut becuase we were having such a good night of fishing we have ever had and not having food we came to the conclusion to stay for one more fish. I say that to see that even though he wanted to stay and fish after I caught this fish he I wanted to keep fishing and Big E had to put me in my place and say "Naw dawg we through thats the way to end the night." E is the man but also forgot to mention that he caught 4 different speciies of fish andI think he had his best night offishing as well. Big ups E

troutdog
03-31-2008, 12:29 AM
That is one heck of a fishing adventure topped off by a sweet hali! Whats the old saying..."it don't get any better than this";)

Congrats to both of you on a nice evening out on the water!

TD

IslandBoi
03-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Holy Cow Batman....That fish is huge....Nice catch Kev, that is right in my backyard,I gotta get out there and try to land one of those big ones.....

crappie stalker
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Darn nice HAli
the time out at night paid off big time for you..
Sounds like an adventure..

CS

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a real great night out there, congrats on that sweet Flattie and all the other catches, I used to take my skiff out there many years back for those spotted bay bass by the pch bridge tressles...how big were the spotted bay bass???

...I love eating them suckas, they are usually toads in that bay.

I am assuming you fished the incomming tide right ?

Again congrats, I gotta get back out there one of these days it's been way too long.

Let me know when you guys do another getogether, maybe I'll join you.

Nice fish : )
Gary

ikeman
03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice flattie!!

Kevthecatfishstudent
03-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks again. I have to add that Big E Getn2fish and I have become very close fishermen and are dedicated to keeping fishing fun and full of memories. Some times great fishing and other having more time than we needed to conversate. E and Joaquin are my dudes. I hate sound all sensative but I had a conversation with E the other day about why we developed an ever growing passion for fishing and how sometimes we foget it. We get so stuck on catching our next toad that we forget to fish and enjoy your conrads and fellow fishermen. I love fishing and love fishing with people that enjoy fishing and not being overly concerned about outfishing the next person, the kind of fishermen that will go out there way to make sure your using the bait that is hitting and where they are hitting. E and Joaquin (Getn2fish) both were using the hot bait that night and tried telling me to switch but it took 7 fish between the both of them in a 15 20 min period to my 2 for me to swicth. I just wish more fishermen would remeber the corp values of fishermen more often.

That was my official acceptance speech.

fishincrave
04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
WTG man that's a nice HALI thanks for the pics and report