PDA

View Full Version : Name the fish

Lightline
05-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,

I need help with identifying some fishes. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve attached some pictures which I have and also some which I found on the internet.

Can these fish be fished in Socal?

SanDimasLMB
05-13-2007, 05:39 PM
1. Halfmoon
2. Halfmoon
3. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
4. Kuro Dai (Black Snapper, only in Japan)
5. Halfmoon
6. Halfmoon
7. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
8. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
9. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper

Lightline
05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
1. Halfmoon
2. Halfmoon
3. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
4. Kuro Dai (Black Snapper, only in Japan)
5. Halfmoon
6. Halfmoon
7. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
8. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
9. Tai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper

thats pretty good sandimaslmb. thanks for your fish ID.

Your right about the tai/sea bream/ red snapper. so can we catch those in so cal waters?

but I'm not sure about the halfmoon. The picture i have of the guy holding the fish was caught in japanese water. Are they also called halfmoon in japan? or is it a different species of fish.

The black snapper, i dont think it is tai. its a different type of fish and not tai, I could be wrong but the shap of the fish is different. also the red one might not be a red snapper either

SanDimasLMB
05-13-2007, 08:10 PM
The biggest snapper is a Sea Bream. The black one is called Kuro Dai or literally translated, Black Tai. Sea Bream / Snapper are of the same genus but differnt species which is why they look like cousins.

SanDimasLMB
05-13-2007, 08:15 PM
oh yeah about if you can catch Sea Bream over here the answer is no. You can catch Red Snapper out deep or structure such as oil rigs. I've heard people call Vermillion Rockfish Red Snapper so its up to the person I guess. Just like how everyone calls Boccacio Salmon Grouper :roll: I'm sure however that you can't catch Sea Bream in our waters (SoCal)

SanDimasLMB
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Another correction.

This is a mature Black Sea Bream (Kuro Dai in Japan)
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/mvc_070f_532.jpg

Here is a juvenile Black Sea Bream
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/photo-kurodai1.jpg

As the juvenile Black Sea Bream matures it loses it verticle stripes similar to a juvenile White Seabass

Lightline
05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks

I know you can catch the halfmoon in so cal water, but are the ones in the picture a halfmoon?

n1ckxlam
05-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Red Snapper is more of a tropical warm water fish
dont think they come up much in socal.
those vermillion rockfish you speak of are a completely different species, and are very plentiful in socal.

kenopi
05-14-2007, 04:12 AM
I have a different opinion.

1. Kuro-Mejina (in Japanese)
2. Kuro-Mejina
3. Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
4. Kurodai (in Japanese)
5. Kuro / Mejina (It's called in both names depending on where you fish in japan and yes, it's very similar to Opaleye we can catch in here so. cal)
6. Kuro / Mejina
7. Akadai or Madai (not sure)
8. Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
9. Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper

The differences between Kuro-Mejina and Mejina(or Kuro) are tail shape (KM has loner tail), size of scales (KM has finer scales), POWER (KM is the greatest fighter among these species), Teeth (KM has sharp teeth), and size (KM can grow up to 30 inches and M can grow up to 24 inches)

Hope this helps,
John

Lightline
05-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a different opinion.

1. Kuro-Mejina (in Japanese)
2. Kuro-Mejina
3. Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
4. Kurodai (in Japanese)
5. Kuro / Mejina (It's called in both names depending on where you fish in japan and yes, it's very similar to Opaleye we can catch in here so. cal)
6. Kuro / Mejina
7. Akadai or Madai (not sure)
8. Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper
9. Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper

The differences between Kuro-Mejina and Mejina(or Kuro) are tail shape (KM has loner tail), size of scales (KM has finer scales), POWER (KM is the greatest fighter among these species), Teeth (KM has sharp teeth), and size (KM can grow up to 30 inches and M can grow up to 24 inches)

Hope this helps,
John

so your saying Kuro-Mejina is simular to opaleye, but Kuro-Mejina does not have a white dot on the back. Where as the opaleye does and the halfmoon look much more like Kuro-Mejina. So which one is it? are they different or are they the same fish.

Can you eat sashmi with opaleye and halfmoons?

And your saying Madai / Sea Bream / Red Snapper is tai correct? that is the traditional sashimi fish that you eat when they are half alive. And the picture in number 3 is an adult madi?

Kurodai is the black version of tai?

number 7 is also a tai the picture is not that good. you said it is either Akadai or Madai. its is most likley a madai because i did a search and that picture came up.

What is a Akadai?

kenopi
05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
ok, I think I made you confused on this one.

Kuromejina (called as one word, but I wrote Kuro-Mejina in order to describe its meaning.) and Kuro/Mejina (called either Kuro or Mejina) are two different species.

I've never thought about similiarities between Halfmoon and Kuromejina.
They have apparently different looks if you see them in real.

Yes, I tried only Opaleye for sashimi.
But people I know say Opaleye tastes way better than Halfmoon.

It's not necessary to relate Kurodai and Madai. They are just two different species. In Japan, many ocean pan fish are called "Dai." (except perch)

Akadai is similar spiecie to Madai. It has white spots on the body.
It's found in warmer areas in Japan.

BTW, Aka means Red, just like Kuro = Black.

Lightline
05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
thanks for the reply,

I think i have to try opaleye for sashimi.

How about halfmoon, can you eat sashimi for halfmoons?

Has any one else tried halfmoon and opaleye for sashimi?