PDA

View Full Version : Keepers

halibuthunter
03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Went to visit my brother in Mission Viejo on Tuesdy. On the way south I figured I would try Long Beach for halibut. Two other fisherman were doing their thing with swimbaits while I started off throwing a 5/8 Krocodile. There was lots of weed in the water. Every attempted retrieve would almost instantly result in being fouled with junk. Figuring I might have a little bit more time in the "fishing zone" if I tried drop shotting, I changed outfits. I was still getting hung up quite a bit on the kelp but miracle of miracles, two of the "snags" became agitated and began taking out line. The end result: a 25-incher and a 26-incher. I promised my brother if I caught a halibut I would bring it to his house; ergo, the first one caught, the smaller fish, went south with me. As far as I know the other two gentlemen caught nothing but kelp balls. Sure nice to get that first keeper of the year. I wasn't planning on drop shotting and the only plastics I had on me were BPS quiver minnows. I have caught dozens of shorts on this plastic. Today must have been my day, two fish and two keepers. Let's hope these two were the advance guard of a very large army of flatties that are heading our way. Taut lines.

CoffeaRobusta
03-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Super nice. I fished LB last night for nada but kelp and WSB! White sea bags that is.