PDA

View Full Version : New to O.C.

McMeathead
03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey everyone, just moved out here to the 'beautiful' Orange County. I've been doin the typical pier and dock fishing for several years now, hittin bat rays and halibut. My true passion has always been freshwater, but I have recently taken a strong interest in shore fishing, especially for those legal 'butts and the huge leo's I've been seeing on here. I live 10 minutes from Newport and about 25 from Del Mar. I went to Del Mar yesterday just to hang out with the gf, and was kickin myself in the ***** for leavin my gear home. Any tips, pointers, and LOCATIONS CLOSE BY that anyone recommends? Seems like shore fishing is the only type I really haven't ever tried, so anything will help. Thanks.

boxl0bster
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
give bolsa chica a try and before you head out check the surf fishing 101 thread to get tips and pointers on baits etc... what i like to do there is toss out a chunk of mack or some suid on a 3-4oz pyramid sinker and let it sit like if you were fishing for cats or trout. you can get some decent sized shovel nose there and various smaller leos and smooth hounds.

IslandBoi
03-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the O.C ..... Ur right around my hood, I'm over here in Costa Mesa.....

Anywhere on the shore from here to L.A, you can almost certainly find something.....

Here is a couple of pointers, I can't give you all the good since, wll, ur new here and rookies gotta learn the way of the force by themselves sometimes, but this should help you get going.

This is what I have:
7" Quantum I8A Tourny Rod med. action 6-12lb w/Shimano Sonora 4000FA,spooled with 6lb P-Line Halo. - This is used when fishing plastics

7" Quantum I8A Tourney Rod heavy action 12-15lb w/Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6000 spooled w/8lb. P-line halo. This is used when fishing lures

4lb. Berkley vanish for my leader

1/2 oz. - 1 oz. egg slider weights
orange beads
black swivels

Carolina rig my spinning setup, with a morf grub or some fish crack.....

Throw my Krocs & jigs with my baitcasster setup.....

All up and down the coast you can easily find BSP (Barred Surf Perch) Bolsa Chica, Huntington Beach, Sunset Beach are prime locations, Seal beach will get you some Leo's, Long Beach u can find some butts and Further north, malibu, zuma, you can find an array of everything, just ask Wingnutty, he's are Team FNN Pro.....

Newport Beach you'll find some perch and corbina....haven't heard of any butts being caught but I know down in Dana Point n such, there are some big one.....

Just get out there and try it all....see what works and what doesn't...I've learned, it's all about trial and error and of course a little help from my fellow FNN'ers......

Fisherman 57 has a very good article on surf perch, I would highly recommend reading it and trying it.....http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=13495

P.S....
We are a big family who likes to share and have good times.....Add your reports and thoughts and you will for sure get some great responses,tips and advice.....

McMeathead
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Awesome, I have been fishing since I was 3, lol, and like I said, shore fishing is the only type of fishing really new to me. Thanks for the info, if there's anymore, lemme know. Also, I'm always up for fishing anytime, so if anyone ever wants to go, hit me up!!! I work at night, which is perfect for evening and especially early morning sessions. Hope to here more soon.

GeordyBass
03-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Awesome, I have been fishing since I was 3, lol, and like I said, shore fishing is the only type of fishing really new to me. Thanks for the info, if there's anymore, lemme know. Also, I'm always up for fishing anytime, so if anyone ever wants to go, hit me up!!! I work at night, which is perfect for evening and especially early morning sessions. Hope to here more soon.

Hey i'm the same,i did start fishing when i was when i was 3 and im new to ocean too!!LOL...im gonna try what island boi said...Thanks for tips....

Wingnut
03-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Islandboi just about covers it all! :thumb: Read through all the reports and you will get tons of info. to start from.

Welcome to FNN and good luck out there! :cool: :D

DiskoCrisco
03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
welcome to the board. a great start that will cost you nothing is take your light trout gear from the freshwater. hook up a carolina rig with a 2 pound leader. hook up a gulp cam sandworm and chuck it next to the jettys in newport. 10 minutes from your house you will hook-up some fish. they're little right now. but they're fun to catch on 2 pound test! that should get you started. you'll have the fever in no time. sit back and watch as your surf gear multiplies.