PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe this...Are you sitting down!

sky
03-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Lake Pardee - Lake Camanche
Quagga/Zebra Mussel Prevention Program
Quagga and Zebra Mussels are invasive, non-native mollusks that have been discovered in some California waters recently. State officials say the spread of the mussels threatens water delivery systems, hydroelectric facilities, agriculture, recreational boating and fishing, and the environment in general.
To prevent the destructive mussels from potentially shutting down the water delivery system, EBMUD will severely restrict boating on its reservoirs this recreational season and turn away all boats from outside of California, southern California and those from nearby San Benito and Santa Clara counties.

http://www.ebmud.com/services/recreation/quaggazebra_mussel.htm

EBMUD also controls Lake Chabot, Lafayette Reservoir, San Pablo Reservoir, and Briones.

I spoke to the Department of Fish and Game yesterday. This is the solution he said a number of lakes located in northern California are beginning to do to try to control the quagga mussel problem.

They are not allowing boats from southern california on the lake at all....

He recommended that I check the day prior to leaving to see if the lake is open to outside boats, because things are changing that often.

I think I need to rethink my plans for this summer.

Granny Fish
03-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess this is something that we will get used to seeing more often. :(

chris
03-29-2008, 11:26 AM
yeah that's really unfortunate i got a list last week with the bodies of water that had quagga's or zebra and these weren't on there yet so they must be finding 1 or 2 lakes a month that are invaded. really sad

sky
03-29-2008, 01:25 PM
yeah that's really unfortunate i got a list last week with the bodies of water that had quagga's or zebra and these weren't on there yet so they must be finding 1 or 2 lakes a month that are invaded. really sad

Chris, Pardee and Camanche Lakes do not have quagga mussels. The man from the Department of Fish and Game, said this is what a number of lakes will most likely do that are operated by the Water District, to PREVENT from getting quagga mussels in the lake, by restricting vessels from southern california. They are doing this to try to prevent from having to pay millions of dollars to repair the damage the mussels cause to the pipes.
They will be checking your drivers license and car license plates....