PDA

View Full Version : Great Whites at Catalina

Tail Chaser
03-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Heard there's been a FEW sightings at Catalina this year already.
Scary for us who like to dive/spearfish.
Could be a good thing for cutting back on the Seal population though.
Nature is taking care of its own.

Had toyed with the idea of some Mako fishing in the past.
Been told they get pissed and chew on your boat/swimstep etc.

I really don't want to learn how to do Major gelcoat/fibreglass repair.

So after seeing this shark pic
That decision is confirmed.

Looks like a nice pvt boat that caught that beast
Could cost $$ if it turns and chomps down.

bchbum54
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
It could just be me but that looks like a photo shop job. that is one F@$KING huge shark if it isnt.

matt duarte
03-28-2008, 12:54 PM
ya i say its fake the guy can do a cannon ball in the sharks mouth without touching anything lol

ThemBastards
03-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Faker McFakerson

Ricky-Ray
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Definitely a photoshop job.

sansou
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Either the shark is "supersized" or that's a 6ft Grady White with midget anglers....:p

Tail Chaser
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Your probably right.
Thought them guys looked kind of calm standing there with there light tackle.
Saw a documentary a few years back.
They wanted to know if GWS jump.
This other pic looks exactly like what was showing on TV a few years back.
At a glance, Figured the big one was a legit pic too.

Another quick glance.

Looks like Cat in the background.
Guess there both phony. Big ones kinda cool though.

Both pics were posted together on a Mutable GW sitings at CAT report

Nasty fish off Catalina all the time
They don't usually eat the divers
They don't like the diets were on :)

one_leg
03-28-2008, 03:47 PM
The second one is, I believe, the Farallon Islands up North, or maybe in Africa?

The first one, well, lets just say that there is a lot of room for improvement in the photochoppers skills set.

Tail Chaser
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Faker McFakerson

Does he go by a username of DOCKRAT ?

IslandBoi
03-28-2008, 03:57 PM
The second one is, I believe, the Farallon Islands up North, or maybe in Africa?

The first one, well, lets just say that there is a lot of room for improvement in the photochoppers skills set.

You are correct One Leg ..... Only place in the world where GWS will actually jump out of the water to catch prey, the reason being, becuz they hunt from bottom to top, the speed they reach by the time they get to the prey, the prey has no chance. Saw this episode on shark week, they clocked the GWS,i believe 60 mph, crazy ish if you ask me!!!!!

Tail Chaser
03-28-2008, 05:26 PM
ya i say its fake the guy can do a cannon ball in the sharks mouth without touching anything lol

If you were to be eaten alive while diving. Being eaten by a shark that size could be a good thing.
It would swallow you whole without taking a bite out of you.
Then just grab your dive knife, Cut yourself out of its belly. Then continue on with your WSB hunt :)

Brian_GSC
03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
GWS at Cat? Nice. I would LOVE to see some seals get munched on. :twisted:

vanillagurilla
03-28-2008, 06:42 PM
im gona catch one top water using a live seal trolled behind a boat :)

Ambassadorhawg
03-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I released a Great White shark sized sewer trout this morning. Should be swimming out of the Hyperion plant pipe anytime now...

GeordyBass
03-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Either the shark is "supersized" or that's a 6ft Grady White with midget anglers....:p

LOL!
Thats exaggerated Jaws!

BIGRED KILLA
03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I want those white sharks to stay around Santa Barbra island thats were theres tons of seals let them kill all the seals around there i want to train one to bit them and spit them out and get more.

Bigred

Nhatster
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Damn! :shock:

Tail Chaser
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
The report states the sharks 15' to 17' chased divers out of the water on the 23rd.
From the dive boats Sun Diver and Sand Dollar.
From Ship Rock and Blue Cavern Point.

No big squid around and seals getting chomped. :)
This could be a good thing.

Been reports of dead seals with there heads missing.
Do the GWs bite the seals heads off ?

dodoman
04-01-2008, 03:44 PM
DAMB, thats mad

ikeman
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I was surfing last Friday morning at Salt Creek and someone said a Whitey is cruising Huntington Bch recently! Did notice the HB crew was in South County lately! There was a female and a juvie around the trails at San 'O just a few years back.

Oz
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
You are correct One Leg ..... Only place in the world where GWS will actually jump out of the water to catch prey, the reason being, becuz they hunt from bottom to top, the speed they reach by the time they get to the prey, the prey has no chance. Saw this episode on shark week, they clocked the GWS,i believe 60 mph, crazy ish if you ask me!!!!!

i seen this on the discover channel shark week...its crazy how they do that and how they got them to charge a fake seal to just take picz of it doing that. mother nature at its best :cool: