PDA

View Full Version : Owens & PVR 3/25-27

mth1997
03-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I went to Bishop to meet my dad for some fishin' this week. Got to Owens around 1PM on Tuesday and hooked up with a few nice browns, about 12 inches. Those guys fight like crazy, awesome experience. They were all caught on a gold and black floating Rapala, barbless. That thing was the magnet until I lost it in the weeds. Waders would have saved me 4 lures on this trip!

Went to PVR and got skunked on Wednesday, farmed one on the kastmaster though. Had no bait and forgot about my trout worms. Went to Owens after and caught another brown on the same Rapala. I hooked myself really deep letting the fish go. Luckily it was barbless cuz the hook went in past the barb. Amazingly painless though, just a little sore. Scared the crap out of me to get stuck that deep. Nothing but the IRS has penetrated me that deep!

Went back for revenge at PVR early Thursday morning and got one on PB, and two on the Berkeley Power Worm in natural color. That thing was also a magnet, two fish, a farmed fish, and many bites in about 10 minutes. Kept two that took the hook deep so my dad could have a trout dinner. Had breakfast and went back to Owens. Second cast, got me a nice 14 inch brown. Dad got one on a rainbow pattern Rapala too. Other than a few farmed fish, nada for the rest of the day.

One crazy thing, a few of the browns came out snagged. I don't know if he spit the hook close to shore only to get stuck in the head (see the pic), or if he got stuck in the head and that's how I brought him in. The one that stuck me was hooked in the back!

Here's a pic of part of the recent burn area too. And one of the mountains for some scenic value.

Trout-Slayer77
03-28-2008, 10:37 AM
those are some nice looking browns !!!! thanks for the report and info ! good pics too. cant wait to get up there again ;-)

tacklejunkie
03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Lucky dawg! :mrgreen:
I will make it up there this year, I promise!
Killer report bro, glad to hear you guys had a good trip!

They're going for it when they get snagged. The bass do that all the time on the jerkbait. They just don't get the whole thing in their mouth when you set the hook and it's all over the place hooking them in the head, gills etc.

You got to check out that LC lure made for fishing creeks!

FISH_HUNTER
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Man You Are Lucky To Go Up Their And Spend 2 Day's Fishing
I Rather Get A Bunch Of "those 12"-16" Trout" Then Get A 10# Frankenstein Trout
Down Here.

FishnSierra
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Nice Brownies...Nice Scenery pictures too.

Ragetron
03-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Nice job on the browns, I probably saw you up there. just got back last night. I was up there for a week. it was awesome to get away and snowboard and fish for a week. I've had alot of experience with trout and bass getting foul hooked when fishing jerkbaits. Its like TJ said. You're not snagging them they just don't get the whole bait in there mouth. I killed it with the jerkbaits this week. Great report, i'll get mine on here soon.

steve092
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Nice fish!
Man, I gotta get up there soon.

mth1997
04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks y'all. What an awesome trip!

Yo ragetron, I was in a red Toyota pickup or a dark blue Chevy S-10. If you saw a chubby fella with a short beard and a big ol' long bearded fella, that was us.

fishfinder
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
pretty fish and very nice mountain pics. thanks for sharing.