PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Halibut area

Sinjin Kim
03-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Tail Chaser
03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the great tips for catching some halibut.
Looking forward to trying my luck out there for some butts very soon.

Mike274
03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Sinjin,

Thank you so much for your time and effort. By the way weren't you on Ronnie's show about a year ago?

Mike

troutdog
03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
That was an excellent post, very good information. Thanks for the time and effort to help others catch fish. Very cool.

TD

ThemBastards
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
That was an excellent post, very good information. Thanks for the time and effort to help others catch fish. Very cool.

TD

Despite TD's lack of skills he is correct about this being a great post. Thanks

IN2DEEP
03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the tips, that's some good info!

Sinjin, Have you heard of anyone having any luck dropshotting from a boat in deeper water? Like 40-70ft.?

Sinjin Kim
03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the tips, that's some good info!

Sinjin, Have you heard of anyone having any luck dropshotting from a boat in deeper water? Like 40-70ft.?

I dropshotted a lot for sand bass and calicos a few years back. Dropshotting for shallow water rock fish is also very effective. I use braided line with a fluorocarbon leader when dropshotting in deeper waters.

JSAUCE818
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Great post!. As usual SinJin helping out others on how to put anglers on halibut. I never knew a damn thing about halibut fishing until I read your sticky articles they used to have up way back in the day. Seems like you were the one that put the "LC 110" on the map. You need to finish your book and dvd man!

troutdog
03-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Despite TD's lack of skills he is correct about this being a great post. Thanks

Thanks Ryan...:rofl:

TD

tacklejunkie
03-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Good read Sinjin.
Never realized a shad robo would do the trick!

I know this may sound odd,
But if you don't care about size in your hali's, what is the best rig to search them down before targeting a "hole" with say a d/s rig?
It would seem I have troubles finding the flatties :lol:

kingjester13
03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks sinjin, you diden't mention the "gulp Alive" baits are they worth using for halis ? I was about to invest in the bucket of smelt to use for dropshotting.

thanks in advance,
KJ138)

Sinjin Kim
03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks sinjin, you diden't mention the "gulp Alive" baits are they worth using for halis ? I was about to invest in the bucket of smelt to use for dropshotting.

thanks in advance,
KJ138)

A lot of people have had success with Gulp! products (Shrimp, Minnow, etc.). I personally do not like Gulp! products at all. They are way over priced, messy, try up too quickly and can't compare to plastics in action. It does catch fish, but I feel more confident fishing with plastics and scents of my choice.

Another thing about Gulp! It doesn't rest on the hook properly. Especially the jerkshad. Can't really nose hook the bait. Nose hooking is fine for the first couple cast. Texposing it is fine for a few cast, but a single fish would tear up the bait entirely.

Sinjin Kim
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Good read Sinjin.
Never realized a shad robo would do the trick!

I know this may sound odd,
But if you don't care about size in your hali's, what is the best rig to search them down before targeting a "hole" with say a d/s rig?
It would seem I have troubles finding the flatties :lol:

I almost always start off with the hardbait. If I have trouble getting bit and locating fish, I will switch up to dropshotting 5" plastics. If that fails, I will nose hook a smaller/thinner plastic. If that fails, I usually return to the hardbait and look for one big bite.

Brian_GSC
03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
You need to finish your book and dvd man!

I agree! Any news on that?

chris
03-28-2008, 11:37 AM
thanks for the tips sinjin. I'm glad to see you posting info again. i remember one of the big reasons i liked this sight initially was your info on halibut a couple years ago!i haven't fished from shore for hali's very much but i do rip and troll hardbaits in the harbors and i love drop shottin in the skinny from my boat

IslandBoi
03-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Some more great tips Sinjin .....

Hey man, what ever happen with the DVD & Book? things never feel thru? Hopefully everything is going good....Still looking for that first copy :)

Wingnut
03-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Sinjin is waiting to release a Bass + Halibut combo DVD. ;) :mrgreen:
Some good tips there Sinjin, might have to try that swimbait boiling trick. What do you think about putting a few drops of scent into the boiling water... hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Sinjin Kim
03-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Some good tips there Sinjin, might have to try that swimbait boiling trick. What do you think about putting a few drops of scent into the boiling water... hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Since oil and water doesn't mix, I'd think adding scent into boiling water would be ineffective.

Just add scent of your choice once the plastic cools down.

bsp
03-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Maybe you could try adding some garlic cloves or pieces of anchovy to the boiling water to make a scent broth for the plastics?

sansou
03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I've heard of bass guys rolling their heated plastics in rock salt...

spitbreaker
03-30-2008, 11:04 PM
is 12lb test to heavy or i needed to go something lighter with calcutta CTE200GT for dropshot for halibuts and bass and which for rod? Sinjin?

Sinjin Kim
04-01-2008, 04:25 AM
is 12lb test to heavy or i needed to go something lighter with calcutta CTE200GT for dropshot for halibuts and bass and which for rod? Sinjin?

I personally use 6# fluorocarbon 90% of the time because I mainly dropshot when the fish are not biting the hardbait. If I plan to fish most of my day from a jetty, I will go up to 8# fluorocarbon. I use spinning tackle when dropshotting. 7" rod rated 6-12# and a 1000 sized Shimano or 2000 sized Daiwa. As for sinkers, I go with the lightest possible; 1/4oz. When it is windy or the current is strong, I move up to a 3/8oz.

If I am fishing my plastics Texposed, I may go up to 10# test, but I've noticed the higher you go up on the dropshot line, the less you will get bit. It is odd because they don't seem to mind when they bite my hardbaits on 50# braid. I think a lot of it has to do with action.