PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Maui

BiG~FiSh
03-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Hello All,
Long time no talk to..... So I'm finaly taking some verry needed time off of work and headed to Maui. I went 2 years ago when the hurricanes were thrashing the islands with horiable weather. That made for horrable conditions, alot of rain and water clarity was 0. Hoping for some better luck this time. I will be staying in Kaanapali and fishing from shore, i also wanted to do some spear fishing with a hawaiian sling (any good places to get one of these for cheap over there? I know there is a tackel shop on the lower road in kanapali, do they have them?). Has anyone been over there recently or have any advice. I would love to catch and eat my own sushi. Are their any fish markets that prepair your catch for you to eat? Wow... i dident relize i had soo many questions. Thanks for reading. I will be sure to report with pictures when i get back.
B~F

willis949
03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
There is a tackle shop in Nipili called Truth,Lies Bait and Tackle. Which is just up from Kaanapali .There is a dive shop near there too that rents all kinds of gear.I didnt have any luck surf fishing but I was on my honeymoon and didn't have a whole of time to fish.

baadfish69
03-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I dont have any advice on tackle shops, but when I lived in Maui, we used to go watch this guy slay the fish with a spear at night. He would come out of the water with a pole just stacked with all sorts of fish, and he would sell them to Mamas Fish House Restaurant. The spot was about 100 yards north/west of Baldwin Beach. I guess there are some very productive reefs right there.

Maui No Ka Oi!!

Good luck!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
03-30-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't have any suggestions for where to get tackle for your fishing or where to fish, but as for taking your fish to a restaurant for them to prepare, try Got Fish Fish Market and Restaurant. Their phone # is (808) 665-9895 and they are just up the road from Kaanapali at 3600 Lower Hanoapiilani Rd.
Was there on Maui over New Years and I did go offshore fishing. Very small big eye tuna only on that trip. Cooler water temps, so not much there.
Have a great trip. Mahalo

BiG~FiSh
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
thanks for the advice, I will deffinantly hit up the fish market weather it is with my own fish or to purchase some. Today is my second day here. I went out spear fishing from the surf yesterday, but dident see anything i wanted. weather is perfect over here and the water is great. I will let you all know how things progress.
Thanks,
B~F

CASTAWAY
03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Me and my girl just booked
a flight to go early May,:cool: to Kona
Island.:cool:

BiG~FiSh
04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
hit up the beach in front of our place today (Kahana Villa). Ran into a big school of O'io, probably 100 or 150 worth. all 14+ inches in length. I was appx 80 yards off shore in about 8 feet of watter. I got one on my first try. Went out agin after bring the fish to shore appx 16" in length. saw the school in the distance a few times but couldent get close enough. I also saw 5 BIG Turtles!!! one of which scared the S##T out of me when it just appeared 3 feet in front of me. i will post pictures in my final post when i get back to the main land. I do not have the cabel for my camera with me. Mahalo.
B~F

ikeman
04-01-2008, 02:00 AM
You can usually pick up a spear at the local hardware stores around the island. Also check out www.foldspear.com Kinda interesting.
I'm headed over in June for a buddy's wedding. Good luck!

ikeman
04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Hello All,
Long time no talk to..... So I'm finaly taking some verry needed time off of work and headed to Maui. I went 2 years ago when the hurricanes were thrashing the islands with horiable weather. That made for horrable conditions, alot of rain and water clarity was 0. Hoping for some better luck this time. I will be staying in Kaanapali and fishing from shore, i also wanted to do some spear fishing with a hawaiian sling (any good places to get one of these for cheap over there? I know there is a tackel shop on the lower road in kanapali, do they have them?). Has anyone been over there recently or have any advice. I would love to catch and eat my own sushi. Are their any fish markets that prepair your catch for you to eat? Wow... i dident relize i had soo many questions. Thanks for reading. I will be sure to report with pictures when i get back.
B~F

You still have tickets, I hope so !!!
My tickets were with ATA and a week ago I got the NO GO "we 'otta there" from the airlines. I am fighting Amex for a refund and now the all the new prices are double!!!! I hope your plans were not altered. Best of luck and Mahalo! Maybe a Costa Rica trip instead!??

Jeff