PDA

View Full Version : Spro Bronze Eye Jr=Big Bass So Far & Then Some

Ghost
05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Okay, the little lake that's close to the house, the bass I've caught there are no more than 2+ lbs. I've seen bigger bass in the 5+ lb range cruise every so often.

I've been trying to land one of the bigger bass, well today was that day.

Let me start last Wed, I used a new Spro Bronze Eye Jr frog, used it in some weeds that is on the surface. I worked the frog & the biggest water eruption happens. I set the hook, the fish heads for deeper water & 5 seconds later the bass pops off the Spro Jr. I gotta tell ya, that bass was pulling hard, I didn't set the hook correctly, caught me off guard. I learned my lesson that day! I wasn't bummed, I was happy to see that a bigger bass will nail a lure, not just look at it at this little lake.

Forward to earlier this evening. Went to the same place, casted the same Spro Jr to pretty much the same area I missed the bass earlier in the week. Worked the frog a few feet & another big water eruption. This time I made sure the bass had the frog....then I set the hook. I GOT HIM!!! The bass started heading to deeper water, but I horsed him in. It wasn't a long fight, but I sure got the attention of some teenagers fishing from shore too. I was doing an "Ike" whooping & hollerin'. Didn't mean to, but I finally had a bass worthy of this little lake.

3 lbs, 10 oz, & 19"....here's the pics:

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/baugo1.jpg

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/baugo4.jpg

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/baugo2.jpg

You can see from the last pic that this bass practically inhaled the Spro Jr. That bass was goin to no deep water w/ that hookset!!!

Fished some more after that, the teenagers were congratulating me & asking if they could have the bass for dinner.....I think NOT! I told them that I catch & release....nuff said! About a half hour before the park closes, I chose a black Heddon Torpedo. I let the water settle before I worked the lure. Next thing I know it goes under, I set the hook...hmmm, not much of a fight must be a small bass. Was I wrong, it was a pretty big bluegill that hit the Heddon Torpedo. I didn't take a pic, just chuckled that a Torpedo will catch more than a bass.

Now, just before I left, I went back to the same place I caught the 3 lber. I see "eyes" popping out of the weeds checking out the Spro Jr. The "eyes" gets closer to the frog, I made the frog do a little "jiggle" & WHAM! Sumthin's got the Spro Jr, I set the hook & brought this in:

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/baugo3.jpg

A frog catches a good sized bullfrog!!!! Now I'm really laughing, this little 1/2 oz Spro Jr lure is amazing! It will catch almost anything!

I also bought a new Shimano Citica 201 from BPS last week & had it mounted on a 6'6" BPS Bionic Blade baitcast rod. I had 40 lb Power Pro braided line on the Citica. Nice setup, the Citica is a workhorse of a reel for its price. It's a nice replacement for the older Curado. I need to add that I got the reel cuz I had credit w/ BPS...just in case the wife reads this....Love you Honey!!! :D

So about a couple hours of fishing, not many bass, just one but it made up for this past week of catching dinks. Now I need to get the new float tube in the water & catch more!!!!

So that's how my day ended after working all day on a Saturday. I've been waiting for a fun day like today. Good fishing to you all!!! Ghost is goin' "night, night".

Troutman65
05-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Great post with pics. Frog legs are tasty

Nessie Hunter
05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Awesome Gino.. Way to get that big bass (gill & bull Frog) buddy... :lol: :lol:

I am a little disappointed that its not a TUBE report though.. :roll: :lol: :lol:

one_leg
05-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the pics.

That bass must have been starving!!!!

Sweet Dreams Ghost!

One_Leg

Ghost
05-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm getting there w/ the tube report.....soon.

I gotta tell ya Nessie, I'm a bit worried about a package coming from So Calif. A friend that works at Turner's sent me Hotspot fins almost a couple weeks ago, via postal. It's been almost that long & I haven't gotten the fins yet. I'm like worried that it got lost in the mail & my buddy can't find the tracking number. I've paid for them & I don't know what to do....sob. :cry:

Now I am in limbo till I get the Hotspot fins. I just "hope" that it's delayed cuz of snow....in May....somewhere in Colorado for why my Hotpsot fins aren't at my front doorstep ready to be played with.

Anyhoo, in regards to the bullfrog....I guess that bullfrog was lookin' for a little lovin', but ended up that the honey frog has hooks for that horny toad!!!!

New meaning to "love hurts".....

Nessie Hunter
05-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh Boy, Sorry to hear about the shipment.. OUCH ! ! !

I rebuild reels for Greg (Yakker) in Oklahoma. The first time I shipped back to him, I had the wrong address and it took about 2 weeks for him to find the package...

Small community, so it was delived to a neighbor.. ?? Nice folks...

After that it was about a 4 day turn around??

You need that tracking # Gino.!!!

ALBERT WHERE ARE YOU?? SAVE THE DAY BUDDY.... :lol: :lol:

steve092
09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
How awesome!!! You caught a frog with a frog.

britheguy
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I use the same frog! BAM, ur on, i once had a strike with it were i was reeling in and i was 3 ft from the shore and a huge bass fallowd it and BAM, right in front of me! Ausome Stuff!