PDA

View Full Version : Gorge N. of PVR

netdawg
03-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Guys,

The gang and I come up every April and want to see if those of you in the area that week (4/10-4/13) are thirsty for a Barley Pop...

Also, VERY MUCH NEED info on fishing the Gorge. We've been told that Power Plant Rd to the T and then north, but what areas should we target to cast in? Maps don't do the area justice and verbals don't give enough info.

Any of you boys fished the gorge, and if so what pitfalls should we be looking out for? Does the gorge have any barb or bait regs that aren't readily known? I know its a wild trout section and to be prepared for a harder catch (or even OHHHHH a skunk), but what should those never visiting there be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

retired/lasd
03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
The gorge is general regs. be prepared for a very serious hike down to the water from the rim. Make sure you take some water and watch out for rattlesnakes.

ttplt
03-25-2008, 08:04 AM
I usually go south when I hit the T. The road winds down to the power plant and there is parking right by the fence. Tons of fish out there but mostly depends on the power plant as to what the water level is like. You could be slaying em and all of a sudden a bunch of water is released and your day is over. I usually walk in about a mile (the road is paved so if you have a bike, it's easier) and walk to where the bushes clear out.

I hope the water level is good for you. Last summer the water was constant for the two days we were there (which is extremely rare) and we C&R'd over a hundred between my brother and I.

Devious 1
03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
My pops and a buddy of his were down there last week and it was very, very slow. They have a buddy who works for the DWP at the power plant down there and they ride their bikes down and he gives them a ride back up in his truck. If it wasn't for their buddy, I wouldn't even fish there, the hike back up is brutal no matter who you are. The fishing can be awesome if the conditions are right and that can vary from one day to the next up there so don't take my word for it, check it out and let us know how you do!

netdawg
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the posts so far. I'd like to ask for a little more details around the Gorge if I may...

I'm looking for info on how far north at the "T" on gorge rd should i head for access, what types of artificials work best in the area, and where a good place to take a nap under a tree is ;-)

LARiver
04-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Very interesting place but not a good bet for any fish of size. All the fish are self-sustaining. No planting in this region. They are unusually spooky. As the weather warms the stinging nettles are thick and the rattlers come out. Fascinating place because it looks so weird. Real popular with rock climbers. I go once a year or so just to trip out on the place. Otherwise, for size or take-home fish I'd recommend other waters. Let us know how you do.
B

seal
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
We normally follow the pipe north until it goes underground, the next dirt road go right until you will eventually find some parking along the ridge. Follow trail down, very steep, be careful. Many holes up above 'North' but be prepared for rock hopping and creek crossing.

netdawg
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
you guys are awesome, I'll post the pics and the follow up Monday 4/14 when we get back