PDA

View Full Version : V.a.f.b 3-22-08

IslandBoi
03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Saturday May 22, 2008

So I haven’t been out in the salt for like 3 months …. New House, Daughters and the wifey … not so easy to get out….. But, We were heading up to my Brother-in-laws for Easter weekend. Here is my chance….My brother-in-law is stationed at Vandenberg Air Force base …. Which the base is so damn big, it has a plentiful array of private beaches…..Come to find out, no one on the base fishes them….Can you say Prime fishing spot!!!!!! I’ve been up to my brother-in-law’s a couple of times and scouted out the beaches…..NICE!!!!!

So Saturday morning, I get to the beach about 9:00 am, bcuz that’s what time it opens…..Little windy, not to bad…..but it was very choppy….wave after wave after wave….So I decided to start out with some Kroc action…..Nothing was biting….Not sure if I was even fishing it right, since I’ve never tried to use my krocs from the surf….so I decided to rig up the good ole c-rig with the camo gulp wormy…..First cast, SLAM!!!!! Nice little perchy…..Second cast…..SLAMMED again but this time it was farmed….I caught 2 nice sized perchy and farmed about 6…..I did hook up with something big, my pole went bendo in a perfect U, but it broke off a couple seconds later, not sure if I was using to big of hooks or not…..I forgot to bring my 1 oz. weights, I only had ¾ oz. so I wasn’t able to keep my line where I wanted to, plus without waders, I wasn’t able to really hit the spots that I wanted to hit….. Only was able to fish for about 2 hours or so, had to do the Easter weekend BBQ with the fam bam but All in all, great time, Out on the beach, all by myself, NO SKUNK, great to be back on the salt…I picked up one of those fishing jackets, worked like a charm, way better then my belly pack I usually use.

Waders are a must and will be my next purchase…..

Any tips on how to fish krocs will be greatly appreciated…..

Pics to follow once I get my camera connected to the pc…….

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture251.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture252.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture253.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/islandboi671/Picture254.jpg

Troutman65
03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the report. That must of been so :cool: to have the entire beach to yourself.

Troutman65

IslandBoi
03-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks Troutman....it was a nice day, only real big problem I had was the dang bugs, they where flying everywhere around me....Next time, I'm going to bring al.ong some bug spray....

Oh yea, and I need to figure out how to use these dang krocs.....not really sure how to retrieve them, fast, slow medium......still working that out.....

Wingnut
03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
[quote=Oh yea, and I need to figure out how to use these dang krocs.....not really sure how to retrieve them, fast, slow medium......still working that out.....[/quote]

Work the Kroc very slow, dragging & bouncing it just off the bottom. Let it flutter in the back current. Use the 5/8 size in the green/mackerel or the new holographic patterns. Good luck! 8-)

Nice report and Perchies. Next time, use a smaller piece of CSW (about 2 inches), might get more bites! ;) :D

IslandBoi
03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
hey thanks Wingnut....

It was my first time using those Krocs, I do have I believe every color they make, I went on a shopping spree at Walmart right before I left and bought one of every kind....I will definately try your recommendation, nexttime I am up there. I'll be up ther ein about a month or so, niece's b-day, so I will definately hit that beach up again.

I picked up a pack of camo worms which I thought were the 6" ones but they were actually the 2" ones, I tried those at first but nothing, I didn't start getting hit until I put the bigger worms on....

Next time I'm going to try some MORF grubs as well, see if those do any good for me.....

Hopefully I can catch up with you one weekend, looks like your turning into the new Halijedi,

Brian_GSC
03-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Nice report dude. Family and fishing...that is about as good as it gets (well, unless your family sucks, then you just look forward to the fishing! :p).

I love that area up there. There is a beach just north of VAFB...I forget the name though. I used to fish that spot when I was a kid. I went back there after 20 years and it was PACKED! Shoulder-to-shoulder.

one_leg
03-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Dude, whassup? Long time no see.

At least the fish were biting up there, unlike that time at the Vine...:evil: :rofl:

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to some reports from the base someday.

I used to work on a lot of different military bases in California.
Never had the time to fish the ponds/lakes there though.
I used to just drive by them and sigh. I knew they had to be loaded with fish.

O_L

MarkyMark
03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I was stationed there too...got a lot of big BSP

FYI...you can't go into the water on-base because of the rip tides

IslandBoi
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
One Leg!!!!! howzit bruddah....know, it's been a long time.....

Belive it or not, when I saw u at the Vine that was the last time I went fishing up until Easter weekend.....Having a new house n stuff has got a bruddah busier then stuff......

It was great getting out there, I know there is plenty more out there, just with those ruff waves, I wasn't able to get out to where I wanted to be....Hopefully by the time I get up there eagain ,I'll have some waders to go a little deeper....... I haven't seen any ponds up there, and not really sure if I can fish them if there are.

I still am trying to get out there on the SPitfire with you and the troops, hopefully this summer, I can make a couple fo trips with you guys......

MarkyMark.... The water does look pretty tough out there, I wouldn't think about surfing it but fishing it, heck yea!!!!! I farmed about 5-6 fish, I had one that bent my pole into a U until it broke off.....I can't wait to go back....I'll be up ther ein a couple of weeks for my neice's b-day....

GeordyBass
03-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Great Job Island Boi!
Nice perch you got there!