PDA

View Full Version : 3/21/08 Pacific Dawn - Santa Rosa

k3vin_kim
03-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Couldn't have asked for a better day of codding. Went up north to Ventura Sportfishing on an overnight rockfish carnage session. A couple of my old friends and clients chartered the Pacific Dawn.

First of all, Captain Pat Cavanaugh and the crew (Mike, Opie, Apollo and Blue in the galley) were awesome. Pat put us on the fish and the deckboys were on top of things and Blue actually got me to eat fish. who'dda thought? Not only does Blue make great hamburgers... but he even has Chicken Sandwiches on the menu!! That was a first. After we finished up our deep codding, the crew filleted up about 6-7 rockfish and he hooked up fish tacos that would make Rubio's look like a roach coach.

Outta the 23 guys on board, we all got out limits. Every rockfish you can imagine was coming over the rail...

Red Snappers
Starry eye
Yellowtail Rockfish
Boscos
Widows
Sheephead
White Fish
Barber poles
Boc's
Everything else...

I caught my limits in about the first hour but being so selective about the size, I ended up giving away about 15 fish. The grade of fish that I gave away was the biggest models you would see from our local spots. I caught 2 lings, one legal and one short but they went back in the drink.

For setup I used shrimp flies with squid and a 10 oz weight. Some of the fish that I kept were up to 5-6 pounds.

Some guys were catching fish on orange and copper jax jigs and the new Lucanis jig didn't produce a single fish.

After about 3 hours of drifting 220-250 feet, we headed towards the island into more shallow (90 feet) and caught whitefish and goats.

My final count for keepers was...
6 reds
2 starry
2 whitefish
1 widow
1 yellowtail rockfish

Gave away the rest of the catches. After fish cleaning was done, my fillets were nicely sliced and placed into 4 - gallon sized freezer ziplock bags. Too much fish still.

The bunks on the Pacific Dawn are the best and most comfy I've ever slept in by a mile. They are air conditioned and the layout is daigonal so you hardly feel any swells. I recommend this boat to anybody. Thanks.

BIGRED KILLA
03-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Looks like you guys had a good day out there those are some nice reds you got.

Bigred

Funjunkie74
03-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Not too shabby...

Uh, what do you mean "Blue actually got me to eat fish. who'dda thought? "
You eat fish all the time....

Nice Team NBU Pelagic Jacket!! Looks tight!!
I might have to breakdown and get one for myself too!!

FJ74

k3vin_kim
03-23-2008, 01:39 AM
I'll take that as a complement coming from Big red Killa - telling me that my reds are nice.
Thanks Big.

Joe, yeah yeah yeah, not too shabby I know. When's the next trip Joseph?

Ricky-Ray
03-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the report and pics Kevin. Looks like a great day out on the big pond. Thanks for the info about the Pacific Dawn. I've got to give that boat a try one day.

k3vin_kim
03-23-2008, 02:45 AM
Ricky - I highly recommend trying it out. It was a perfect day.

Oz
03-23-2008, 06:06 AM
sweet report kev :cool: thats rockfishing when its good...limits and nice quality sized.

ghetto dad
03-23-2008, 07:15 AM
nice report kevin, im proud of you baby boy.....damn, i gotta get up north to catch some real rockfish man.....i love your gangsta pic man....lol.....later...peace

GD

k3vin_kim
03-23-2008, 09:54 AM
yeah oz, it was the bomb *** trip.

And you know I keep it gangsta rite steve? I'm just a natural born thugg.

I punked those little fish to get on my hook. And the ones that ranked out, I ended up blasting their azzes.

5000's.

cappo
03-23-2008, 04:01 PM
way to go bro, those are some nice rosa reds

Brian_GSC
03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Kev,

Sounds like you had a great time...Pat always produces! The 'Dawn is a nice ride, and you can't beat the berthing! A/C bunkroom and big bunks!!!

Thanks for the report and pictures!

deanhall32
03-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah Kevin. Ditto on the report and pictures. It's always cool to see you sashimi up the fish you caught that day. How does the rockfish taste as sashimi or should I check your recipe section?

one_leg
03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
So let me get this straight. You went fishing and failed to invite Ghetto Dad?

k3vin, how could you? :roll: ha ha ha ha ha

j/k

Thanks for not including a pic of the bunk? :twisted: LOL

O_L

k3vin_kim
03-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Brian, the pac dawn sure has a great operation going.

Coach, I don't eat fish.

Alan, I don't think GD is gangsta enuff to fish Rosa. LOL. And I didn't snap any shots of the bunks downstairs never really crossed my mind i guess.

Aite guys off to work we go. peace

Ambassadorhawg
03-24-2008, 06:22 AM
There, now you can see just how good the outer Channel Islands can be. San Miguel is even better and so is San Nicholas.

Next time, save a spot for me on any outer island cod trip you plan for...that area is my home away from home...

Later, Mike

mrjonez
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
dude, that whitefish is a monster.

tykim717
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
damn kevin! soju and sashimi on the boat! FOB style! Did you get the coordinates? I'll probably head out there in the next couple weeks....stand by.

k3vin_kim
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah Mike, it was a charter unfortunately but I'm going back up there for the lings for sure soon. I'll hit you up.

Mr. Jonez, I swear that thing was pulling and pumping like a lingcod. I actually called off the deckhand because I was sure it was a ling. But it was this huge whitey.

Thomas, I didn't have my gps on me but that's a good idea.

ghetto dad
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah Mike, it was a charter unfortunately but I'm going back up there for the lings for sure soon. I'll hit you up.

Mr. Jonez, I swear that thing was pulling and pumping like a lingcod. I actually called off the deckhand because I was sure it was a ling. But it was this huge whitey.

no, its NOT a good idea to take a handheld GPS on a sportboat kevin to fish their spots bro...

4g63power
03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
nice...i like the Dawn and those huge whitefish...good job brother...

ghetto dad
03-24-2008, 05:26 PM

:rofl:called for a gaff on a WF,,,lol..i remember another certain person who screamed for a gaff on a 2 lb bass....:rofl:

ymin72
03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Awesome report as usual Kevin.
Thanks for the invite but I had prior plan to fish on Freedom with Bob and crew from Chaeil tackle. First time fishing San Nic. island. Very impressive RF'ing as well at S.N.I.
Let me ASAP about Island Tak trip on April 19-20th.

JapanRon
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi K3_vin_kim,

Nice report, bunch of fishys, and pics. thanks for adventure.

Pacific Dawn ..... yes ..... I keep confusing it with the Pacific Star.

JapanRon

MikeW
03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Nice job on the fishies! I'm going on the Pacific Dawn April 4th. I can't wait! Pat and crew always make it a great trip. Interesting news on the Lucanus jigs, Shimano is sure good with all the hype they put out. The way they hype them is that you might as well stop using anything else. Again, thanks for the info.

BBL2Baja
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Awesome report! Nice job on the reds! :thumb:

and the new Lucanis jig didn't produce a single fish.

Probably because the anglers that were using them didn't match them up with the $200 Tescata rod and the $450 Calcutta reel that was specifically made for the new system. :roll: :roll:

Later,
Scott

karlow
04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey that sounds like a great trip!
I have a club trip scheduled on that boat, but we have been blown out twice!
I think it's rescheduled for June now!

KP

k3vin_kim
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Fishrap again...

http://www.fishrapnews.com/news/newsarticles.aspx?y=14&x=6104

ghetto dad
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
dude, youre soooooo into yourself, its funny!!!:rofl:

k3vin_kim
04-04-2008, 03:35 PM
just another day at the office gd <3

ghetto dad
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
dude, i miss you bro...when you coming fishing with me.....even though youre a superstar now, you know i still "got you" down here man...later bro..
GD

jeff4321
04-07-2008, 03:45 PM
i love the Pacific Dawn. best boat i have ever been on for sure.

crew is great, bunk room is great.. everything is great