PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Crabs

pyronut
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey there Guys,

Well only got to go for buggs once this year. I still want to use my Hoops during the off season and I know rock crabs are open year around. I am looking for some good areas to try for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You don't have to give me the exact spots but general areas would be great or if your willing you can PM me some gps numbers would be really awesome. I am coming over the week of the 4th and will be fishing all weekend. I hope to see some of you guys out there.

Again, Thanks guys,

Pyronut

JSAUCE818
03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey there Guys,

Well only got to go for buggs once this year. I still want to use my Hoops during the off season and I know rock crabs are open year around. I am looking for some good areas to try for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You don't have to give me the exact spots but general areas would be great or if your willing you can PM me some gps numbers would be really awesome. I am coming over the week of the 4th and will be fishing all weekend. I hope to see some of you guys out there.

Again, Thanks guys,

Pyronut
Santa Monica Blvd.....youll get plenty of crabs there, good luck.....
lol..jk

chris
03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
ventura harbor is always good

pyronut
03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey there,

Guess I should have been a little more specfic in what I am looking for. I am looking for areas around Long Beach and also around Dana Point. These are the two areas that I ferquently fish and I am just having a hard time find the ROCK CRABS.....

Thanks again..

laznbboi
03-24-2008, 04:01 PM
No one will tell you their secrect spots, you have to search and find your own spot. I tried many places around long Beach never got lobster or crabs.

ZenDragon
03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Try a pier! I've had my best luck their...

CoffeaRobusta
03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't have a boat so I can't help you there.....but Newport Pier, Seal Beach Pier, and Belmont Pier have always been good to me.

Maybe a little reading will help....
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/dungeness_crab.asp
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/status/rock_crabs.pdf

i was at belmont Pier on Tuesday and picked up three rock crabs.......mmmmmmmmmmm yum

pyronut
03-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Yes I have a boat so I wont be fishing on a pier. I am looking for places outside of the harbor and around Dana Point. I have 5 hoops that I will be working. I dont want anybodys secret spots just a litle help on general places. We are coming over from Las Vegas and we dont ge out as much as we would like to.

WaterBound
03-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't know if this will help you, but here it goes. Last time I went to Oceanside with my family we saw TONS of crabs along the rockwall there. Also I used to catch a lot of lobsters and crabs off one of the rockwalls in Newport. This was on rod and reel so you know I was not fishing for them nor did I keep them. It was kind of a nuisance really since I did not know anything about hooping then and just thought it was out of season or needed a special license so I just threw them back. You know how it goes if you don't know throw it back. Good Luck!

Wildhorse1966
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
anywhere you find rocks you will find crab ... i hardly hoop Dana but try the oil rig islands inside the breakwall in LB

ahhvtec
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
anywhere you find rocks you will find crab ... i hardly hoop Dana but try the oil rig islands inside the breakwall in LB

Or in your pants buddy.

WARRIORMIKE
03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Santa Monica Blvd.....youll get plenty of crabs there, good luck.....
lol..jk

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ruger
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Caught a stone crab while fishing for rock fish out of Avila. Thought it was a giant red...

lucky catch
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I hope you had a successful trip. Just saw your question and for the LB area the inside oil islands are a good spot or any breakwall. Ventura has a ton of crab but they are very muddy compared to most other areas. Once your boat is back on land and you have been inspected by DFG, tear off the right claw and throw the crabs back to catch again next time.

vince champion
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Best spot for me is redondo beach pier... The illegal parts of it where you cant fish for them. so the question is do you want to fish for crabs and losber illegally or legally?

*try to find a spot where the deep end of the water touches the shallower part of the water. drop your hoop down from the pier there.*