PDA

View Full Version : Lopez lake pics and adice needed

fishfinder
03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a reservation for lake lopez memorial day weekend, and have never been there before. plan on water skiing and fishing. was wondering if any-one has any tips and advice on this lake. i heard it is windy, but i am used to that in southern california mountain lakes it seams to be the norm.
mostly intrested in crappie and bluegill.
we are also thinking of spending an afternoon at pismo, and want to drive the truck on the beach. i was wanting to fish for perch and halibut from the beach. any-one have some pics of the beach or the lake?
where do i go to park on the beach?

sky
03-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Lopez Lake is a really nice lake, but it has a few drawbacks:

1.) It is way too crowded and the campsites are too close together and they allow too many people in one spot.
2.) The entrance line is extremely long. Make sure you bring your reservation confirmation.
3.) It gets really foggy.
4.) The wind, well let me just say this. By 11:00 in the morning the lake is packed full of out of control windsurfers. I never seen windsurfers move so fast. Don't get in their way because they'll run you over. They had to be moving at least 30 m.p.h.The wind was so strong on that lake I almost couldn't get back in, and I needed a couple of extra people to help hold onto my kayak, so it wouldn't fly off of my car, while I was tying it down.
5.) Every time I have been to Lopez Lake there's always been a fishing tournament, with LOTS of fast moving bass boats which were moving way too fast in the fog. The fishermen were mainly fishing in the cove to the east of the marina, by the dam, and on the far end of the Lopez arm.

Bring your ear plugs so you can sleep at night. Memorial Weekend is going to be nuts....

Now that I rained on your parade...I hope you have fun....I forgot to mention they had a bear problem the last time I was there.

BBfish
03-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Fish finding is an art at that lake....

Crappie and bluegill like the marina area a lot. and at the back of the wittenberg arm.

I wouldn't be worried about the bears... I have heard of 2 bear sightings in the past 15 years of living here. I would be more worried about your rowdy neighbors and the racoons. Unless of course you are the rowdy neighbor, then I'd worry about the family of 4 next to you trying to sleep.

Remember to bring plenty of layers for the fog, sun and wind.

BB

johnsfishing
03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
is there a trout derby coming up in April at Lopez?? What day?

johnsfishing

fishfinder
03-24-2008, 05:02 AM
is there a trout derby coming up in April at Lopez?? What day?

johnsfishing

The Friends of Lopez Lake & San Luis Obispo County Parks'

7th Annual Reel 'Em In Trout Derby
May 3 & 4, 2008

http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/fish.htm

sky
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Bear warning signs are posted on the restrooms at Lopez Lake
which clearly state: You are in bear country....

The area also has bob cats and mountain lions due to the abndance of deer in the area.

BBfish
03-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Whats funny is that even though this is bear area and there have been sightings... there are no bear boxes for your food and stuff...

sky
03-25-2008, 01:01 AM
I've been to a couple hundred lakes in California, most of which don't have bear food boxes.

The funny thing is, the majority of those that did, they were these filmsy wooden boxes, which a bear could easily break into. The few boxes I saw that were metal you needed to bring your own lock to secure.

I was just talking to my girlfriend the other day about a video I saw of a bear breaking into a car by ripping off the door. I told her you're not suppose to store your cooler in your car, yet none of the bear food boxes I have seen were big enough to hold a cooler.

It all comes down to $$$$$$$$$

fishfinder
03-25-2008, 05:04 AM
guess i better keep a close eye on my chihuahuas

soe18a49
04-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Bear warning signs are posted on the restrooms at Lopez Lake
which clearly state: You are in bear country....

The area also has bob cats and mountain lions due to the abndance of deer in the area.

Dar be Bears in dem dar hills huh??? :eyepop: Glad I'm fishing in SoCal!!!

DaFish
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I been there before. It was windy one night and the campsites are average. It was kinda hot too on memmorial. There are two many people to enjoy the fishing except early if you can wake up early after all the party in the night.

The best thing I remember is they had a strawberry festival there. It was great.

However the traffic was horrible back down the highway going home.
It is a far drive from So cal.

I like Lake Isabella for MM weekend. It has better facilities.