PDA

View Full Version : Rock Fish Fishing on 1/2 Day Boat.

GEO
05-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm heading out of L.B. Marina on Mon. 5/14 for half day. This is my first (cherry) time fishing out on an ocean boat. The boat is going out for Rock Fish, I am going to use a "Penn Long Beach" 6' med action rod with a "Penn" 209 Level Wind spooled up with 20 lb test. Will this rig be adequate??
Can anyone share what their set up is for going after Rock Fish,
1) leaders?
2) size type of wts.?
3) size type of hooks?
4) bait?
Basically what kind of tackle? I have stuff for the Surf and lake fishing.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks George :D

RL-IN-OC
05-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi George, the setup you have is perfect for local rock fishing. Here is what I like to use, 2 to 10 oz torpedo sinkers, hook size 2 or 2/0, J hooks or mutu (Circle), I'm a big circle hook fan. Thin shank if you can find them. Maybe even 3/0 or 4/0 if the lings are biting. I usually use a reverse dropper loop, I'm sure it has an official name. Make a 3-4 inch loop about 3 feet above the end of the line, tie your hook to the end, attach the sinker to the loop, its also easy to slip it out if you need to change weights. the boat will provide bait, either squid or fin bait, sardines or anchovies. If you really want to get fancy, use one of those knife jigs with a keeper hook attached to the top, this serves as a weight and a jig. Shimano makes them or theres another brand called Land2sea? or something like that. With this setup, tie the jig to the end of the line and make a loop about 3 feet above and slip a hook through it.
You are only allowed to use 2 hooks at a time. Good Luck, hope this helps.

hakaveli
05-12-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm heading out of L.B. Marina on Mon. 5/14 for half day. This is my first (cherry) time fishing out on an ocean boat. The boat is going out for Rock Fish, I am going to use a "Penn Long Beach" 6' med action rod with a "Penn" 209 Level Wind spooled up with 20 lb test. Will this rig be adequate??
Can anyone share what their set up is for going after Rock Fish,
1) leaders?
2) size type of wts.?
3) size type of hooks?
4) bait?
Basically what kind of tackle? I have stuff for the Surf and lake fishing.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks George :D

2 hook gangion rig with 8-12 ounce torpedo sinker size 4 hook