PDA

View Full Version : float tubing PVR

fisherkid47
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey everyone,
I need some info on float tubing PVR. I'm going to enter the lake on the road above the powerplant and I don't know where to launch from, and don't know where it is good fishing from a tube. Also, should I use an anchor or not?
Help would be appreciated, thanks
fisherkid47

aboos
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
if you enter by the power plant, youll have to walk a good..i dunno..3/4 miles (not exactly sure how far, i always bring my bike) to get to open water in order to lauch your tube. you can pretty much launch anywhere as long as you can walk down the rocks.

imo, an anchor isnt needed. i never used one there.

chris
03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
if you enter by the power plant, youll have to walk a good..i dunno..3/4 miles (not exactly sure how far, i always bring my bike) to get to open water in order to lauch your tube. you can pretty much launch anywhere as long as you can walk down the rocks.

imo, an anchor isnt needed. i never used one there.

how cold is that water right now? would my breathables and thermals work? i knew i would evenrtually want the neoprene pair i sold

aboos
03-21-2008, 02:18 PM
not sure about right now..but i went pres weekend and wore boardshorts underneath my breathables. so i think youll be okay with breathables and thermals.

Devious 1
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I was up there tubing last weekend and the water is very, very low right now. In fact, most of the locals say this is the lowest it has ever been. I think they must have let a bunch out anticipating a good melt off this year. We walked in from the PowerPlant and jumped in the river not too far down (maybe 1/2 mile or so) and slowly made our way down to where it opens up. If I had to do it again, I would suggest coming in from the bottom, walking to the far end of the dam (where the little beach is exposed), and launch there and just swim over the bouy line. This should prove to be a much, much shorter walk.

The water wasn't too bad last weekend, the wind was more of a problem. We all went with breathables and thermals and nobody complained of their feet or legs getting cold.

Good luck and tight lines!

SDJHawk
03-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I was up there tubing last weekend and the water is very, very low right now. In fact, most of the locals say this is the lowest it has ever been. I think they must have let a bunch out anticipating a good melt off this year. We walked in from the PowerPlant and jumped in the river not too far down (maybe 1/2 mile or so) and slowly made our way down to where it opens up. If I had to do it again, I would suggest coming in from the bottom, walking to the far end of the dam (where the little beach is exposed), and launch there and just swim over the bouy line. This should prove to be a much, much shorter walk.

The water wasn't too bad last weekend, the wind was more of a problem. We all went with breathables and thermals and nobody complained of their feet or legs getting cold.

How does a person get to the bottom of the dam? I never know which road to take off the 395 to get there? About how much of a shorter walk is it as I am thinking about bringing my tube as well?
Thanks

chris
03-21-2008, 08:00 PM
i think i might try to hit that up this coming week

Devious 1
03-22-2008, 07:26 AM
How does a person get to the bottom of the dam? I never know which road to take off the 395 to get there? About how much of a shorter walk is it as I am thinking about bringing my tube as well?
Thanks

By dam I meant the bottom of the resevoir which is actually the easiest road to find to get into the place, just turn off of Hwy. 395 @ Plesant Valley Dam Road (It is just after the turnoff for Mill Pond) and drive all the way in to the gate and hike up the hill and when you get to the top go left and hike to the base of the rock dam. The water is so low right now there is a nice sized beach by the face of the rock wall over there that is ideal to launch from.

SDJHawk
03-22-2008, 11:26 PM
By dam I meant the bottom of the resevoir which is actually the easiest road to find to get into the place, just turn off of Hwy. 395 @ Plesant Valley Dam Road (It is just after the turnoff for Mill Pond) and drive all the way in to the gate and hike up the hill and when you get to the top go left and hike to the base of the rock dam. The water is so low right now there is a nice sized beach by the face of the rock wall over there that is ideal to launch from.

Shucks. I was hoping you meant the other side of the dam was shorter and easier to get to. Thats quite a trek from the gate to the dam carrying poles and a tube. BTW, how does a person enter from the back end of the reservoir? I have heard people coming in from that direction but never know which back road off the 395 to get there?
Thanks

retired/lasd
03-23-2008, 06:38 AM
There are only 2 ways to get to PVR, one is by entering at the Pleasant Valley turnoff which will take you to the South end of PVR and the dam. The other is to enter at Gorge Rd. which will take you to the north end near the power plant. No matter which way you go you still have a good distance to walk.

Devious 1
03-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Shucks. I was hoping you meant the other side of the dam was shorter and easier to get to. Thats quite a trek from the gate to the dam carrying poles and a tube. BTW, how does a person enter from the back end of the reservoir? I have heard people coming in from that direction but never know which back road off the 395 to get there?
Thanks

No, its a trek no matter what but the water is so low right now that you have to walk a lot further from the top to get to a place to launch which is why I suggested coming in the bottom. Even thought you have to hike up the hill, its a much shorter walk distance wise.

The road to get in to the top of PVR is easy to miss. The only indication is a small wooden sign with yellow letters stating "Power Plant ----->" .The sign is just before you start climbing the grade. Make a right and follow the road until you come to a large pipe, make a right and follow the road down to the power plant. Park next to the plant and go through the gate. Its a nice flat walk, but I was really sore after carrying my gear about 1/2 mile each way to get to a place where there was enough water to launch the tube...

Mike274
03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Most tube manufacturers have back pack straps which makes thing a lot easier, and there is always more room to launch above the power plant regardless of water levels.

Like they said look closely because the sign is small.

My two cents

Mike

Kunihiro
03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
There are only 2 ways to get to PVR, one is by entering at the Pleasant Valley turnoff which will take you to the South end of PVR and the dam. The other is to enter at Gorge Rd. which will take you to the north end near the power plant. No matter which way you go you still have a good distance to walk.

"Retired LASD?"

10-37....I'm active right now....

atkunihi@lasd.org

snoman
04-05-2008, 12:13 PM

i was debating doing that last time i float tubed, but wasnt sure if it was a good idea. i allmost fell in the water with my waters on trying to get out of my tube. those rocks are really slippery and move alot.