PDA

View Full Version : How Do I get my Kayak to catalina??

fisheatfree
03-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Hey I am planning a camping/fishing trip with the wife and want to know if anyone knows of a way to get the yak's out to the island??
Thanks for any advise..
Brian

BakoBassin
03-21-2008, 07:15 AM
From what I understand, the ferry from Marina Del Rey is the only one that will do kayaks.

($69 fare + $39 kayak fee)

fisheatfree
03-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey I'm from Bakersfield..I assume that is where you are from?? I am in Iraq now doing the Army thing but Will be getting back around May 1st. Maybe we can paddle out sometime? I usually do the cen-Cal reds, butts and lings..(looking for bigger fish now).... Thanks again for the advice. Brian

BIGRED KILLA
03-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Just paddle across throw out a Rapala and troll for T Sharks all the way across.

Bigred

BakoBassin
03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey I'm from Bakersfield..I assume that is where you are from?? I am in Iraq now doing the Army thing but Will be getting back around May 1st. Maybe we can paddle out sometime? I usually do the cen-Cal reds, butts and lings..(looking for bigger fish now).... Thanks again for the advice. Brian
Cool man...I'm a kickboater myself.

Nessie Hunter
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
May want to check on rentals at the Island.. Could save a LOT of hassles....

Taking your own over would be a lot of work..???

sky
03-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey I am planning a camping/fishing trip with the wife and want to know if anyone knows of a way to get the yak's out to the island??
Thanks for any advise..
Brian

This company will take your kayak to and from Catalina Island: 310 549-4004 It's about $29.00 each way. You have to drop the kayak off in Wilmington, then pick it up by the helicopter's over at catalina Island.
They don't take people so you have to go over on the catalina Islander or the Catalina Express. If you have more than one kayak I think you need to make reservations at least a week in advance.

They have kayaks for rent over at Catalina, but I doubt they are rigged for fishing.

I personally would rent a kayak while I am there in case the weather sucks, and it is too foggy, you wouldn't have wasted the money to ship it over. Or I would look into going on a kayak fishing charter to catalina.

The Qualifier 105: Go long! Three to eight day options.
619-223-2786 or www.qualifier105.com (http://www.qualifier105.com/)
3-day Baja coast / islands, May 1 and 15
7 or 8-day West Coast Baja, May 30, June 7 and 14

Islander Charters: Overnight Adventure
1.5-day trips via OEX Kayak Center
619-758-9531 or www.oeexpress.com (http://www.oeexpress.com/)
San Clemente Island, May 2 and 16
Todos Santos, Baja June 6 and 15

Grander 5-Pack: Make Your Own Itinerary
Book via La Jolla Kayak Fishing
619-461-7172 or www.kayak4fish.com (http://www.kayak4fish.com/)
3-day San Clemente Island and offshore options

basscatcher
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM

thank yor for your service in our country May God keep you all safe as for the kayak deal i know that avalon rents out kayaks to fish in.

God Bless

basscatcher

fisheatfree
03-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you all for the info. I have decided to take my own kayaks. they both meet the length restriction's and are already rigged up. The rentals averaged $248 for 2 days (X2 people) where as the round trip shipping fee (for 2) on the Marina del rey (catalinaferries.com ) is ony $60 round trip.
I will be splurging for the guided trip though one day. The multi-day trips look awsome!
Thank you again for all the information.
Brian

LBSea
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
There is a service that offers rigged Ocean Kayak Prowlers for fishing at Catalina. I believe they are located at twin harbors but just google or go to www.RhynoBar.com. The owner is Jeff "Rhyno" Krieger and he does guided fishing trips at Catalina and can give you ALL the information you need including prices for rentals or trips. Check www.kayaksportfishing.com for an article about hooping Catalina from a kayak for more info on kayaking there. Also, I believe you can take a kayak on Catalina Express out of Long Beach but there is a fee and it may only be on weekdays not sure of all the details. Hope this help.

Doug