1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
3 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
2 limes, cut into wedges
2 (8 ounce) packages dried rice noodles
1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 dash hot pepper sauce
3 tablespoons fish sauce

DIRECTIONS
1)In a large soup pot, combine broth, onion, ginger, lemon grass, cinnamon, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.

2)Arrange bean sprouts, mint, basil, and cilantro on a platter with chilies and lime.

3)Soak the noodles in hot water to cover for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain. Place equal portions of noodles into 6 large soup bowls, and place raw beef on top. Ladle hot broth over noodles and beef. Pass platter with garnishes and sauces.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 538

Total Fat: 13.8g
Cholesterol: 51mg
Sodium: 2844mg
Total Carbs: 74.8g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1g
Protein: 28g

tacklejunkie
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Mmmmmmmm! Pho! I love that stuff!

Wingnut
03-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Ha Ha, time to open a restaurant Larissa. :mrgreen:
You can call it "Pho from the Philipines" ;)

one_leg
03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd like some Peelapino pho rights about now.

I'd also like a Peelapino mail-order bride too.

O_L

~larissa
03-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Ha Ha, time to open a restaurant Larissa. :mrgreen:
You can call it "Pho from the Philipines" ;)

hahaha A... I only put it up cause we were jackin Oz's thread. So if we continue with the Pho talk.. we can take it from here. HAHAHAHA... lookin forward to the PHO A....

besides, your bro said your mom's got the best pho... maybe i'll go there.

one_leg
03-19-2008, 05:40 PM
~Larissa has the coolest avatar ever!!!!!

O_L

FishNFurious
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
hahaha A... I only put it up cause we were jackin Oz's thread. So if we continue with the Pho talk.. we can take it from here. HAHAHAHA... lookin forward to the PHO A....

I had Arthur mom's pho before and I agree, it's the BEST! ;)
Oh yeah, her egg rolls aren't bad either. I just don't know what's in them. :rofl:

~larissa
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I had Arthur mom's pho before and I agree, it's the BEST! ;)
Oh yeah, her egg rolls aren't bad either. I just don't know what's in them. :rofl:

Oh man... i love Vietnamese egg rolls... specially with the fish sauce mix that they make, with the lemon and carrots.

hung380
03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
INGREDIENTS
4 quarts beef broth
1 large onion, sliced into rings
6 slices fresh ginger root
1 lemon grass
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 pound sirloin tip, cut into thin slices
1/2 pound bean sprouts
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
3 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
2 limes, cut into wedges
2 (8 ounce) packages dried rice noodles
1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 dash hot pepper sauce
3 tablespoons fish sauce

DIRECTIONS
1)In a large soup pot, combine broth, onion, ginger, lemon grass, cinnamon, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.

2)Arrange bean sprouts, mint, basil, and cilantro on a platter with chilies and lime.

3)Soak the noodles in hot water to cover for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain. Place equal portions of noodles into 6 large soup bowls, and place raw beef on top. Ladle hot broth over noodles and beef. Pass platter with garnishes and sauces.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 538

Total Fat: 13.8g
Cholesterol: 51mg
Sodium: 2844mg
Total Carbs: 74.8g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1g
Protein: 28g
Thats the quick american style Pho. No where near the vietnamese style cooking.
If you want real flavor beef broth. You have to boil beef leg bones for hours then add what ever spices you want.
The onions has to be flamed under fire to get the cooked onion smell.
Dont forget a grip load of MSG for stronger flavor. Im hungry now, time to hit up pho 999 on sepulveda blvd.

~larissa
03-20-2008, 11:50 AM
If you want real flavor beef broth. You have to boil beef leg bones for hours then add what ever spices you want.
Dont forget a grip load of MSG for stronger flavor. Im hungry now, time to hit up pho 999 on sepulveda blvd.

Yah i know its the american style... but all the talk about Pho in the other thread... i had to post something to continue the Pho Fever

kpn
03-20-2008, 11:54 AM

I totally agree with you Hung. The recipe Larrisa posted....I call that's a Fastfood PHỞ.......:) .
The traditional way takes about 4+ hrs to make.....I have a very good recipe, but too lazy to post :).

KPN.

hung380
03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
You can go out to the asian markets and buy those little cubes of beef broth that says "Pho" and just add water and buy some fresh pre-made pho noodles and add them in along with thin slices of beef. All together will take no more than 30 minutes and will cost no more than 3 bucks and can feed up to 4 people. LOL

kpn
03-20-2008, 11:58 AM

Oh man... i love Vietnamese egg rolls... specially with the fish sauce mix that they make, with the lemon and carrots.

I have a very good recipe for Vietnamese egg rolls........Does anyone
want it :) ? It's very easy to make.

KPN.

BakoBassin
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
What the pho, I might try this.

kpn
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
What the pho, I might try this.

Bako,
That's the Vietnamese Beef noodle soup, that we are famous for. If you head south some day (in San Fernando Valley area), PM me I'll take you.

KPN.

BakoBassin
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Bako,
That's the Vietnamese Beef noodle soup, that we are famous for. If you head south some day (in San Fernando Valley area), PM me I'll take you.

KPN.
For sure...Some people I know down there always talk about it.

~larissa
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a very good recipe for Vietnamese egg rolls........Does anyone
want it :) ? It's very easy to make.

KPN.

Hook it up.... :D

FishNFurious
03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
What's with all the Pho hype all of the sudden?
This stuffs been around forever.
You go down to Westminster and they're on every corner. ;)

~larissa
03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
What's with all the Pho hype all of the sudden?
This stuffs been around forever.
You go down to Westminster and they're on every corner. ;)

Lee's Sandwiches... mmmmmmmm

Wingnut
03-20-2008, 02:35 PM

You can never top mom's authentic Vietnamese cookin'. :mrgreen:

Hey, we better keep all this "Pho" talk on the DL... I wouldn't want lurkers to poach my Pho spots! :twisted: :rofl:

WaterBound
03-23-2008, 02:47 AM
As Hung380 said that is not wonderful Pho. This awesome Chinese/French cuisine needs to have the onions and ginger charred or braised into the stock. And of course you need to have that Cha Giao on the side. Another point is that to get a clearer broth you need to simmer the stock for hours just under a boil. Also use good quality femur bones. When I am trying to impress my guests I use a whole cow head cleaned with the brain left inside as well as femur bones. Simmer the stock for over 10 hours and refresh the stock at least 4 times. I try to use Rib Eye or Tenderloin thinly sliced on the side. If you are on a budget forget the sirloin and get the TriTip it is a better buy for similar quality beef. No mater which supermarket you go to for the beef be it Asian or American, try to ask the butcher for fresh meat and have them slice it for you there. That presliced stuff can be pretty nasty. They don't tell you but you got to look for good color that is not TOO red. That dye is nasty **** full of nitrates meant to tenderize and refresh old *** meat. It is not beneath a butcher to repackage redye and redate the meat. Another thing Pho is a northern vietnamese dish, however as I found out , each village can have their own version. So there really is so much more variety than the Pho you can buy in a restaurant. As someone said in another post, some places use canned Pho. YUCK! And since someone mentioned Lee's I think I will get some this morning. Thank god they open at 5:00am. I usually go to the one on Valley and Rosemead. If you guys get me started we can really get down with some awesome asian cooking.

Troutman65
03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
PHO good.

Thanks for the recipes.

Troutman65