PDA

View Full Version : 2 speed vs single speed

hooklinelunker
03-18-2008, 05:13 PM
hey guys,

im looking into buying an Avet reel to add to my sw arsenal. I dont really understand the difference between the single and the two speed reels other than the price, and the torque power. I dont plan on going on any really long range trips, so i dont know if i need that extra torque. I was told that with the two speed, other than the torque, it also offers better presentation while jigging... Is that true? does the two speed have that advantage over the single speed as well?? thanx for your input!!!

Ricky-Ray
03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
hey guys,

im looking into buying an Avet reel to add to my sw arsenal. I dont really understand the difference between the single and the two speed reels other than the price, and the torque power. I dont plan on going on any really long range trips, so i dont know if i need that extra torque. I was told that with the two speed, other than the torque, it also offers better presentation while jigging... Is that true? does the two speed have that advantage over the single speed as well?? thanx for your input!!!

Aside from price you kind of getting 2 reels in one. Most of the Avet 2 speed reels are a 6/3 or 6/4 ratio (I am assuming you are going to get either an SX, MX, or JX 2 speed since you said you don't plan on long range). The low gear will help you winch in that fish if your ever in that situation where you can't gain any line back while still in high speed. Or if the fish is deep down and it's straight up and down that's where the low gear will come in handy.

With the high speed you can use that as a jigging reel also if you need to and you can always use the low gear option when you are rockfishing.

Having a 2 speed reel gives your reel alot of options to what it can do and make the job easier.

I fish almost all Avet's now and almost all of my avet reels are 2 speed reels. I'm also finding out that since most of my setup's are 2 speeds there's more versatility in the setups and I'm actually bringing less setup's on some of my trips because that one 2 speed setup can do the job of several setups.

All in all some people will say for short trip's it's not necessary and some say yes it's great. My 2 cents is if you can afford it go for it, you've got more versatility with it than with a single speed reel.