PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go for LOW tide?

City Dad
03-18-2008, 12:16 PM
As a surf newbie, I've had my best luck around high tide.

I'm wondering if there are certain types of areas which fish well at low tide?

I'm not looking for specific spots to poach, I'm just curious as to what types of places you've had success in at low tide.

Appreciate any help.

Oz
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
i dont think there any specific spots man..u just have to try different areas and go for it..try by jetties or any rock piling...or by the sides of piers.

JSAUCE818
03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
straight back to the car....and straight home.....

fuj
03-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I've had some great Corbina trips during extreme low tides. During the summer months, Corbina stage in shoreline holes waiting for the tide to rise a bit so they can surf in and suck up sand crabs.

LiveweLLunker
03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I love surf fishing during low tide so here are a few things that I like to do.
I always like to find areas that are harder to get to during high tide, drop offs that are too far to cast to. During low tide a lot of fish push up on the edges of these drop offs and wait for the tides to push food towards them. Look for darker water to find steep drops then cast to the edges. Thats where I usually start fishing when the tide begins to change.
At the peak of low tide, when the water is at its lowest, I look for rock outcroppings. I like to fish where I can see the water swirling around the rocks. I lose quite a few lures but I've caught a bunch of fish doing this. Thats the trade off.
Lastly, something that I like to do about an hour after the tide switches back towards the incoming high tide is go back to the dropoffs I fished when I started and try to throw back to the edges. I really dont know why but I tend to catch the biggest fish of the day when I come back to these dropoffs.

Good Luck fishing, hope this helps.

P.S.
I also like to strap my gear to my surfboard and paddle out past the breakers. I have a 7'-7" longboard. All you really need is one tackle box with a bunch of leadheads and your favorite plastics, a couple of Krocs (or kastmasters), and a pair of pliers. Strap it down with some bungee, bring along one or two rods, sometimes I'll take my ultralight gear and a plastic container with some recently caught sandcrabs. Its a hell of a fight to bring in YFC and bass on light gear.

rusty6
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
i stopped surfboard fishing after i had an experience with a shark at the reef off of carpenteria...and losing a lot of gear.

Tail Chaser
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Thats a very good question City Dad.
Had a curious thought of that subject myself.
Pondering the thought of bringing the boat on the shore side/east side of a reef with a outgoing tide. If I could find such a thing.
Kelp fishing and speargun hunting the kelp forest till the tide comes back in the evening would probably be the most productive.
Been some nice WSB takin with the gun already this year.

Wingnut
03-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Low tides are for recon missions only. ;)

Brian_GSC
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
straight back to the car....and straight home.....

:rofl:

I like Wingnut's advice too. Recon, baby!

Skyler
03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
From what i've been told, rocky beaches with a steep drop off and a lot of cover fish well at low tide, and the less steep sandy beaches with a more gradual grade fish well at high tide. There's probably more to it than that, but i've notice it to be a pretty accurate assesment, even if a bit simplistic.

bigfish420
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I was always under the impression that fishing high tide would always be better then low tide but I live on the water in the HB harbor and fish it every single day in the morning before work and when I get home so the tides are always doing different things when I get on and off the water at the same time each day. Anyways I have had really great success fishing low tides inside the Huntington Harbor. I find that as long as there is a good current coming in or going out its a good time to fish. I can only say that about the HB harbor so I understand if others may disagree but the best time to fish is when you have time!! I dont care about the tide, just being out on the water is great and relaxing for me.

Good luck

FishNFurious
03-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Harbor fishing is much different than surf fishing. ;)