PDA

View Full Version : First Bass In South Korea!

dbae23
03-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Currently I am in South Korea planning my wedding with my fiance and her parents. (She and her family live here, and this is where we met 2 years ago). But as much fun as this may sound, I needed to fish so badly I went to a few local tackle shops and purchased three shimano spinning reels along with three 6'6" rods. Surprisingly they had all the Japanese Domestic Market reels and rods in stock. Of course I didn't get any of them but it's nice to know that they are available here in Seoul (at a much better price than the U.S).

Anyways, once I got to the local lake tied on a LC Staysee jerkbait (Japanese model) and spent much of the hour casting. Then I get a phone call and as I'm answering my cell, I feel a 2 quick tugs. I set the hook and reel her in. After a short but, oh so sweet battle, I bring her in. I lipped that sucker,took the treble hooks off, and threw her back in. At last my first 2008 bass and it was in international waters! I continued to fish for a few more hours and farmed 2 more fish. I don't have any pics, but I'm going to a well know bass lake tomorrow night. I'll be sure to bring the camera. Hopefully we'll catch some more bass so that i can post some pics on FNN.

Thanks for reading.

noob@fishing
03-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Nice, but I don't know if you are aware of this. In Korea people consider LMB as pests. Since, they're not native species and the LMB kill native species so, they're trying to get rid of them... lol. You should've killed it. FYI. I release all my bass whenever I catch them in US.

fish4anything
03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Really? Pests?

Greg Madrigal
03-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Congrats man! Thanks for thinking of "lil ol' us" while in Korea. Been there myself, I'd bet its quite cold there right now! Good luck, we await the pics!

GM><

FISH_HUNTER
03-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Really? Pests?

I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S TRUE BUT IF IT IS IM SURE IT'S BECAUSE THE LMB EATS THE BETTER TASTING FISH. NOT THAT I'VE HAD LMB. BUT IF YOU'VE EVEN CAUGHT A LMB EVER NOTICE HOW "FISHY" IT SMELLS? IT PROBLY TASTES THE SAME. GREAT YOU CAN GO FISH IN KOREA TAKE LOT'S IF PICS. AND POST THEM ASAP

one_leg
03-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Kill em, kill em all, kill em dead, all of em.

O_L

mth1997
03-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Nice! Congrats and good luck with the wedding preparations!

BBL2Baja
03-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Nice, but I don't know if you are aware of this. In Korea people consider LMB as pests. Since, they're not native species and the LMB kill native species so, they're trying to get rid of them... lol. You should've killed it. FYI. I release all my bass whenever I catch them in US.

:shock:

Really? Wow. Maybe we can arrange a trade. We'll send a few boatloads of carp over there.

Anybody have the number to Korean F&G? ;)

Congrats on your engagement, by the way. Health and happiness.

Later,
Scott

jeff4321
03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
No Lets Hang Lmb In The Trees Just Like Carp And Catfish. Goozokhae!!<< korean for "arrest them"

dbae23
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
The bass are considered invasive species both in Japan and in Korea. Although many kill them in both countries, I did not. The bass were never native to Korea and Japan. The bass were all brought in from the states and introduced to the local lakes. They rapidly spread eating all the local game.

dbae23
03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm so happy I found such a great girl!
And her family is awesome too.

dbae23
03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Congrats man! Thanks for thinking of "lil ol' us" while in Korea. Been there myself, I'd bet its quite cold there right now! Good luck, we await the pics!

GM><

It's pretty warm now. i've been fishing in shorts and a tshirt.

noob@fishing
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
It's pretty warm now. i've been fishing in shorts and a tshirt.

By the way, congratulation on your wedding, you found your match pretty far away.
It's been 4 years since I went to Korea. Lots of fun places to go and have fun... lol..
But, everytime I visit Korea I get wasted first day on till I come back. I have to train myself to be able to finish a bottle of whisky per night for 7days.... lol Next time I visit, I'm going fishing!!!

Cap'n Ron
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
How much did you pay for your fishing license in Korea?

CR

dbae23
03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
By the way, congratulation on your wedding, you found your match pretty far away.
It's been 4 years since I went to Korea. Lots of fun places to go and have fun... lol..
But, everytime I visit Korea I get wasted first day on till I come back. I have to train myself to be able to finish a bottle of whisky per night for 7days.... lol Next time I visit, I'm going fishing!!!

haha it's been the same way for me too. It's non stop drinking in Seoul. normally i don't drink at all back in LA. Whenever I'm here, it's tough not to.

dbae23
03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
How much did you pay for your fishing license in Korea?

CR

you already know the answer to your own question! why even ask?

Troutman65
03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm so happy I found such a great girl!
And her family is awesome too.

Hopefully she don't mind you going fishing.;)

Glad your happy.

Congrts on your Bass.

Troutman65

dbae23
03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Hopefully she don't mind you going fishing.;)

Glad your happy.

Congrts on your Bass.

Troutman65

Thanks troutman. She doesn't mind me fishing at all...that's why i'm marrying her!

SOSO
03-20-2008, 12:38 AM
David, congrats getting married... Next time i go to Korea, I'm bringing my fishing gear. Probably fish hungover from drinking soju.

dbae23
03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
David, congrats getting married... Next time i go to Korea, I'm bringing my fishing gear. Probably fish hungover from drinking soju.

HAHA, that's exactly what i've been doing, drinking pok tan joo w/soju and beer all week....then fishing the next morning with alcohol on my breathe. But anyways, thanks! We're getting married privately in a few months but the official wedding is going to be in 2009.

sansou
03-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Congrats on getting married!

Your mini report brings back a lot of good memories for me. I spent a few years there at Seoul International School. I remember carp fishing in the Han river, and fishing for freshwater eels around Sorak mountain, not to mention ocean fishing for bizarre looking fish off Missionary Beach (Taegu?). Itaewon was one of the places you could buy a crap load of fishing gear for cheap.

Good times......or as many expats call it: "The Soju Experience".

Good luck to you!

dbae23
03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Sansou! I just got back to L.A. 3 days ago...and I went to Lake Perris yesterday.
glad that you were able to reminisce about the good ol' days.

Crab
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Ahhhhhh SUSHI!!!!
Nice report

GeordyBass
05-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Kill em, kill em all, kill em dead, all of em.

O_Lyeah,yeah,yeah!:twisted::twisted::twisted: