PDA

View Full Version : Rocks and Getties

calvaryguy23
03-16-2008, 10:47 PM
i have a quick question well a confirmation or not what's the law about having a license on gettys and rocks? is it man made that you don't need one? IE: seal beach rocks?

Cal

Ricky-Ray
03-16-2008, 11:00 PM
You need a license.

calvaryguy23
03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
thanks ricky ray that's what i thought

Fish Dog
03-16-2008, 11:06 PM
The rule is if it's a harbor mouth jetty (the two jetties the boats sail out of leaving a harbor) you don't need a license. Any other rocks or jetties you do need one.

Ricky-Ray
03-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Just FYI a public pier is the only place where you do not need a license to fish.

ThemBastards
03-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Actually the Wedge Jetty in Newport is the only one that I know of that you do not need a license, however the MDR Jetty across the channel does require you to have a license. I have asked DFG while fishing the Newport pier and they confirmed that the Wedge does not require a license.

Nessie Hunter
03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I did a quick search, not sure this is complete????

This is what I found in the reg booklet...

It seems to me they have changed the wording from the past????? I think it *used to say* Ocean facing piers and Made made Jetties that were not break walls or surf protection.... I took that as meaning the Harbor jetties were OK with no lic & public ocean facing piers, Not bays etc???
Looks like they took out the Jetty provision also???
---------------------------------------------
license Provisions
Anyone 16 years and older must have a fishing license to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate,
amphibian or crustacean in California, except for persons fishing from a public pier in ocean or bay
waters.
--------------------------------

Just go buy a dam Lic, with ocean enhancement stamp, why take a chance....

one_leg
03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I think they should fish it w/o a license so we can all find out how much the ticket is.

O_L

ThemBastards
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I wonder if it has changed? We saw the DFG boat cruising the channel several times a few weeks back, he never came by to see if we at least had a license....

fish4keep
03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
i have a quick question well a confirmation or not what's the law about having a license on gettys and rocks? is it man made that you don't need one? IE: seal beach rocks?

Cal

You need a license.

Depending on which one???

The north (west) = yes, you need it.

The south (east) = no, you don't need it.

Ricky-Ray
03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Just go buy a dam Lic, with ocean enhancement stamp, why take a chance.....

Because out of the 50+ day's that I fish the great big pond that's the one day I don't want to carry a license. LOL

WPCBANDIT
03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
I think they should fish it w/o a license so we can all find out how much the ticket is.

O_L
I believe i was told the fine was around 500.00 it is like poaching deer

Fish Dog
03-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Ok, we'll go over it again...

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

License Provisions
Anyone 16 years and older must have a fishing license to take any kind of fish, mollusk, invertebrate, amphibian or crustacean in California, except for persons fishing from a public pier in ocean or bay waters.

Definition of a "Public Pier"

Title 14 Section 1.88 California Code of Regulations. Public Pier. A public pier is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the landmass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters. Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

I know it's a little confusing because the provisions say in ocean or bay waters but then the actual definition of a pier say it's only in the ocean, not in a bay.

To simplify, the only places you don't need a license is an ocean front pier (such as the Balboa Pier) or a harbor mouth jetty (such as the wedge or CDM jetties). Any other jetties, such as the sand retention jetties in west Newport you need a license. If you can't sail a boat between the jetties into the harbor you need a license.

ThemBastards
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Again according to a DFG employee I was told that MDR you needed a license, while the Wedge you did not.

Just what I was told first hand, not hear-say, or code deciphering.

Fish Dog
03-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Again according to a DFG employee I was told that MDR you needed a license, while the Wedge you did not.

Just what I was told first hand, not hear-say, or code deciphering.

That may be on the south jetty of the harbor as there is another jetty for the river or creek or whatever that is to the south so maybe because that's a middle jetty, I don't know. Or maybe it because of that outside blocking jetty that blocks the mouth of the harbor, again I don't know. That's the same code Fish and Game has to go by so if you get a ticket there I think you could beat it in court. Unless maybe there's some local law that requires them and then I'd bet they'd have to have signs up if that was the case. But, the simple solution is spend a few bucks and buy a license and don't worry about it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=marina+del+rey&ie=UTF8&ll=33.970271,-118.448582&spn=0.052817,0.111923&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr

Oh, and by DFG employee, if it was one of those marine biology students that they pay to go out part time and see what kind of fish are being caught, the one's that carry the clipboards, I wouldn't trust anything they tell you about regulations except, maybe, the size limits.

ThemBastards
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
But, the simple solution is spend a few bucks and buy a license and don't worry about it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=marina+del+rey&ie=UTF8&ll=33.970271,-118.448582&spn=0.052817,0.111923&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr

Agreed.:thumb:

Also upon reveiwing your google maps link, and my errant message I was referring to CDM Corona Del Mar, not MDR Marina Del Ray. Sorry, my bad.

Fish Dog
03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Agreed.:thumb:

Also upon reveiwing your google maps link, and my errant message I was referring to CDM Corona Del Mar, not MDR Marina Del Ray. Sorry, my bad.

Ok, I happen to know for sure you got bad info then. PM if you want details but you don't need one at CDM Jetty.

ThemBastards
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh no worries, I have a license. :lol:

atfish
03-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Bay piers you dont need a lic. I have fishied on jetties and been checked, but dont know about harbor entence jetties.

ThemBastards
03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Bay piers.... But not Bay Docks. Make sure people dont get confused by that.

Fish Dog
03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Bay piers you dont need a lic. I have fishied on jetties and been checked, but dont know about harbor entence jetties.

WRONG! Read it again. Although it says public piers in ocean and bay waters in the provisions they go on to define a public pier as not in bay waters.

...primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters...

calvaryguy23
03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
WOW thanks everyone yeah i'm going to just go buy my darn license lol but i love the debate that got started here. thanks all

Cal

Fish Dog
03-17-2008, 06:14 PM
BTW, if anyone has any doubts, Newport Beach is a good example for you. Due to the confusion between the Provisions and the Definition sections they have posted "fishing license required" signs in English, Spanish and Vietnamese on all the public bay docks/piers and on all the sand retention jetties in west Newport (28th - 56th Street). Check it out some time.

ghetto dad
03-17-2008, 07:17 PM
WOW thanks everyone yeah i'm going to just go buy my darn license lol but i love the debate that got started here. thanks all

Cal

lol...thats what i was gonna say man...just get your license, and you wont have to worry about it!!
MAKE SURE THAT WHEREVER YOU BUY YOUR LICENSE, THEY PUT THE OCEAN ENHANCEMENT STAMP ON THE BACK!!! ITS A "SOUTHERN CALI" STAMP......BIG 5, WAL MART, ETC, ARE NOTORIOUS FOR NOT PUTTING THESE STAMPS ON!!

good luck man!!

GD

fish4keep
03-17-2008, 07:24 PM
WRONG! Read it again. Although it says public piers in ocean and bay waters in the provisions they go on to define a public pier as not in bay waters.

Mostly true. BUT not always the case. Some piers in SF and SD "bay" are consider public pier and no license are require....

Good thing your getting a license it's well worth it.....

calvaryguy23
03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
yeah i know about the ocean enhancement i've had my license since i was old enough to get it and have always had that sticker on it. i usually get my license from walmart or big five most of the time. so yeah i will get it when i have some cash and i'm going to need it when i go to bishop in june. i get a second rod enhancement as well.

Cal

twin22s
03-27-2008, 12:30 AM
your guys are funny, i guess if your a pier rat, or have a specific jetty that you fish you don't realy need a liecense. but if your a serious fisherman you need one. what if you get invited by a complete to go out on his boat on the way to your spot(shut up it happened to me, i'll tell you the whole BassKicking story if you ask) and you don't have a liecense, you just missed a free trip cus you don't have one. and say you fishing a jetty, and it sucks, but you see the guys inside the harbor just tearing it up from the bank, but you can't go there, cuz you got no liesense. but my biggest point with this message is this:
you like to fish, you respect the regulations and know that they are there to preserve the fisheries that you love. but your trying to get out of buying a liesence to save a few bucks a year? no complaining when some guy next to you keeps a black sea bass. because i everyone who fished had a lisence, mabye the DFG would have had the man power to bust the guy.

anyway in my opinion its not that much to ask 50 bucks a year to support conservation and enforcement. if not just for your own benifit to be able to fish where ever you want, consider it a donation to a very worthy cause.

PS: how much do you think you spend on fishing tackle and bait a year?

willis949
03-27-2008, 08:46 AM
I saw a guy Wednesday at the Little Balboa dock with no license,drinking Mikes Hard Lemonade and he had gotten a ticket the night before at that same spot.I told hime that it was a steep fine and that they would gladly give you a new ticket every day but he was braindead.I was fishing that same dock last night when that earthquake hit.I tripped out because the water looked like fish were boiling for a second and the dock rocked a little.