PDA

View Full Version : Dead Fish, look at your own risk!

SonnyEdmonds
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Chase (Grandson) 6 years old.
Parker Strip
1st week in April 2007
Trolled Rapala Shad Rap CD5, 50' back.

http://home.att.net/~paul.edmonds/fishing/chases_bass_4_2007_001w.jpg

http://home.att.net/~paul.edmonds/fishing/chases_bass_4_2007_005w.jpg

Hook Em young! :lol:
Fought Em and Brought Em to the boat all by himself!

And yes we kept them and ate them. :shock: He wanted to catch his own fish, and eat it. :wink:
"Tastes like chicken" Chase sez, after Grandpa cooked it up on the charcoal, wrapped in foil, with salt, pepper, butter, and garlic salt.
Chase is definately Grandpa's fishin buddy now! (Always was, but he's a lunker hunter now. ) :lol:

bones
05-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Right on Sonny....Nothing wrong with keeping a bass every now and then. Just make sure that Chase knows why we practice c & r 99% of the time.
Good to see ya folks are still getting out on the water.

Tight Lines to ya folks 8)

FlyMaster
05-12-2007, 12:35 AM
I think it's cool that your a grandpa and sharing this beautiful moment...but um....as a member of the C&R Nazi those pics aren't fun to look at

Nessie Hunter
05-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Sonny???

I thought you fell of the edge of the world dude, where you been??? :cry:

Nothing like getting the young ones HOOKED, You are the man when it comes to kids and fishing.. :D

Nice trophies..... :lol: :lol:

I still remember the first bass I caught, cleaned and cooked over a campfire... That had to be about 50 yrs ago...

You Know I am all C&R now.. It comes in time.... :thumb: :group:

Keep up the good work Gramps.. :D

05-12-2007, 10:09 AM
:appl: :appl: WTG!

SonnyEdmonds
05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I think it's cool that your a grandpa and sharing this beautiful moment...but um....as a member of the C&R Nazi those pics aren't fun to look at

Uhh, yep... like these C&R survivors? Clearlake, Kallifornia, last summer:
http://home.att.net/~paul.edmonds/fishing/clearlake_candr_survivor.jpg

Please don't be such a hypocrite. I've cleaned up too damn many fish found rotting in the backwaters, polluting lakes and rivers, while folks go on their merry way thinking they are such "conservationists."
You touch the fish, you break it's slime. It's like I touch you face, the skin gets ripped off. Then you die from fungus weeks later. Agonising weeks later....
I've also caught and kept trout with rusty hooks still in their mouths, and fish with funguses.
But hey, I'm the bad guy. :roll:

I catch and keep about 5 fish a year, on average. Yet I see many fish caught by others, handled, and tossed back. Then a fish hawk takes it, or it winds up blown into the backwaters to bloat and foul the waters.
So how many do you C&R in a year??? How many of those wind up like the picture, Oh Great Buwanna?
There's 3. Did you notice? Or did you just see the one? (There is a 4th one at the top of the picture, but since it doesn't show well, I didn't count it.)

I C&R too. But when I do, I don't touch the fishes.
And please don't tell me you never have kept a fish, or I'll call you damned bass fisherman. Which is a damned liar, actually.

One week of playing, 4 kids fishing on occasion, two adults, 2 fish actually caught, both kept, both eaten. Not wasted. And 3 days apart.

But hey, at least your conscience is clear, right? Your a C&R Nazi. :roll:
You don't see what happens after the fact....
You Da Queen of denial... :lol: And your preaching to the choir. :wink:

Here take a second look:

http://home.att.net/~paul.edmonds/fishing/clearlake_candr_survivor_2.jpg

And you want to flip me ***** about eating a couple of fish? :lol:

FlyMaster
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM

Uhh, yep... like these C&R survivors? Clearlake, Kallifornia, last summer:
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/C ... rvivor.jpg (http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/ClearlakeC&RSurvivor.jpg)

Please don't be such a hypocrite. I've cleaned up too damn many fish found rotting in the backwaters, polluting lakes and rivers, while folks go on their merry way thinking they are such "conservationists."
You touch the fish, you break it's slime. It's like I touch you face, the skin gets ripped off. Then you die from fungus weeks later. Agonising weeks later....
I've also caught and kept trout with rusty hooks still in their mouths, and fish with funguses.
But hey, I'm the bad guy. :roll:

I catch and keep about 5 fish a year, on average. Yet I see many fish caught by others, handled, and tossed back. Then a fish hawk takes it, or it winds up blown into the backwaters to bloat and foul the waters.
So how many do you C&R in a year??? How many of those wind up like the picture, Oh Great Buwanna?
There's 3. Did you notice? Or did you just see the one? (There is a 4th one at the top of the picture, but since it doesn't show well, I didn't count it.)

I C&R too. But when I do, I don't touch the fishes.
And please don't tell me you never have kept a fish, or I'll call you damned bass fisherman. Which is a damned liar, actually.

One week of playing, 4 kids fishing on occasion, two adults, 2 fish actually caught, both kept, both eaten. Not wasted. And 3 days apart.

But hey, at least your conscience is clear, right? Your a C&R Nazi. :roll:
You don't see what happens after the fact....
You Da Queen of denial... :lol: And your preaching to the choir. :wink:

Here take a second look:

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/C ... vivor2.jpg (http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/ClearlakeC&RSurvivor2.jpg)

And you want to flip me ***** about eating a couple of fish? :lol:

Whoes preaching? I said it is a beautiful moment you had with your grandson but as a C&R Nazi those pics are hard to look at. For most passionate bass fisherman those aren't pics we like to look at. As far as your logic goes, it seems to be very tainted and filled with holes. You claim that a majority of bass die because of over handling them prior to catch and release so your solution to it is putting them on a stringer?

Also, those bass you see in those pictures floating are from either inexperienced anglers whom took the fish out of the water for one too many photo ops, or just plain ol simply don't know how to C&R. Or they are from Tourney fisherman who took the fish out too long and then released them. Either way, the problem is taking the fish out too long.

I think it's completely bogus to claim that a majority of bass C&R die afterwards. I have seen numerous posts on FNN alone where different members have caught the same lunker bass with distinctive scars at the same lake on the very same spot. They seemed to have survived just fine.

If your primitive theory was true about bass dying after C&R we'd see TONS of dead bass every day at our local lakes floating. This is clearly not the case.

Also, I have kept catfish and trout, but have never kept a bass (except for stripers). I never keep a bass out of the water for more than a minute unless the tragic event of a gut hook occurs, which on a very rare occasion happened 1 time because I dead sticked a fat ika while I had a nasty birds nest in my bait caster. As I was working the reel, a bass hit it and it took me too long to set the hook and I had the bass out of the water for about 3 minutes while we performed hook surgery. I'm pretty confident that bass died, and guess what? I don't have a clear conscious about it. You can even ask Roger, I told him about how much that bothered me and that I'll never make that mistake again. I didn't even go bass fishing for about a week after that because I felt so guilty for what had happened because of my irresponsibility.

Ultimately, I was not attacking you when I stated my post. I was just saying that it is hard to look at that majestic beast on a stringer like that. But I have respect for what you do, I even took the time to degrade myself by stating Im a 'C&R Nazi'. But you wanted to go there, so here's my response. Good day :D

SonnyEdmonds
05-12-2007, 01:56 PM
..I stopped posting here.

Bones, Nessie, you guys know where I am.
See Ya!

FlyMaster
05-12-2007, 02:02 PM
..I stopped posting here.

Bones, Nessie, you guys know where I am.
See Ya!

Don't take it personally, again I have respect for what you did. Your obviously a knowledgable fisherman who is showing his grand kids a great time. I have a ton of respect for what your doing, I just simply stated those pictures are hard to look at and you accused us C&R people as 'Queen of denial'.

Don't leave because a few people are jerks like me, stay because guys like Nessie and Bones make this a fun site for you.

Nessie Hunter
05-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Well Im one of those C&R Nazi's also...

But I do make an exception for kids and that "Thrill of Victory" they experience, I also realize there is a learning curve that goes with it..

I preach to those that 'should' know better, in the hope that some of it will stick.......

Sonny has been around a long time and I would never question his judgment.

Besides, look at those faces, Who could deny them a fish???

After they clean a few and gag a time or two, the C&R will make a lot more sense.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

one_leg
05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I go away for one minute and I miss the cool family photos.

I wish I could have seen the pics :cry:

Congrats on getting to spend time with the grandkids and putting them on some nice fish.

"I've eaten 1 LMB at the Colorado River". There I said it.

One_Leg

Damen
05-13-2007, 12:28 AM
I wish I could have seen the pics too. REPOST REPOST

FlyMaster
05-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I wish I could have seen the pics too. REPOST REPOST

Picture 2 cute grand kids holding a stringer of one 4-5 largemouth and one 2 lb small mouth...

Troutman65
05-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Sonny Edmonds wrote " You Da Queen of Denial" to Fly Master.

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!! To funny!!!!!!

FishSum
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Big Bend Resort !!! I Love Parker

ghetto dad
05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I go away for one minute and I miss the cool family photos.

I wish I could have seen the pics :cry:

Congrats on getting to spend time with the grandkids and putting them on some nice fish.

"I've eaten 1 LMB at the Colorado River". There I said it.

One_Leg

thats your first step to recovery, one_leg!! :D

joe man
06-05-2007, 08:20 AM
People who bass fish for bragging rights and trophies are as bad as or worse than the ones who eat their catch IMO. I release most fish I catch because they are dinks and I do enjoy fishing as a sport but I also love to eat fish. There are legal limits and as long as they are followed what is the problem? I see people get really upset about keeping LMB but bass are a dominate fish and will survive if kept legally. I see people with hundreds of crappie on stringers (2 years ago at Isabella) and no one cares but take one bass and listen to the flaming you get. Why do trophy hunters endanger the fish they claim to love for a ego boast while flaming people who are fishing for a nice dinner? Stay legal and protect fish population for our kids. BTW nice report and like you I love to take the kids out for a good day fishing. I chose to to teach my kids to stay legal and don't take more than they will use I also teach them to leave a place cleaner than they found it.

ghetto dad
06-05-2007, 08:42 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/popcorn2.jpg

joe man
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
LOL GD get ready. Just my opinion but to me it is right. I am not passing judgement on the trophy hunters but just trying to say don't pass judgement on people who are playing by the laws. I see people who ninja fish and then complain when people keep fish that are legal so why the view that it is ok for one to break the law but not the other. If you can't tell I believe in the law.

Hitts0n
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
looks good to me.......kill kill !!! :twisted:

Tundy
06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm amazed at how sensitive people are (Sonny). I'm a C&R guy but I would never get on someone who wants to harvest a few fish. I would only hope that one would eat what they harvest. I'm a C&R guy for that exact reason - I've had fish sit in my freezer for years and never ate them. The guilt wore on me for not eating them and wasting a life for no reason.

I don't see how anyone who takes the time to post threads, respond, post pic, give fishing reports, etc... needs to even be questioned about his fishing ethics. It's obvious if your here, you care a great deal about fishing.

synenergy52
08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
I personally won't eat LMB cause they taste like *****--ok I tasted it when I caught one as a kid. Trout on the other hand--yum! Or most seafish.

saintarv
08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice pics!

olfishergal
08-06-2007, 11:12 PM
looks like a wonderful time with the kids..........nothing wrong with selective harvesting for a meal..........besides, those kids smiles are priceless.....congrats>>>>>OFG

Sinjin Kim
08-07-2007, 01:41 AM
People who bass fish for bragging rights and trophies are as bad as or worse than the ones who eat their catch IMO. I release most fish I catch because they are dinks and I do enjoy fishing as a sport but I also love to eat fish. There are legal limits and as long as they are followed what is the problem? I see people get really upset about keeping LMB but bass are a dominate fish and will survive if kept legally. I see people with hundreds of crappie on stringers (2 years ago at Isabella) and no one cares but take one bass and listen to the flaming you get. Why do trophy hunters endanger the fish they claim to love for a ego boast while flaming people who are fishing for a nice dinner? Stay legal and protect fish population for our kids. BTW nice report and like you I love to take the kids out for a good day fishing. I chose to to teach my kids to stay legal and don't take more than they will use I also teach them to leave a place cleaner than they found it.

Very well said.

Sinjin Kim
08-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I personally won't eat LMB cause they taste like *****--ok I tasted it when I caught one as a kid. Trout on the other hand--yum! Or most seafish.

I think if they are prepared well, they can taste just as good as any other freshwater fish.

I know guys who 99% of the time practice catch and release, but if they ever got their hands on a smallmouth from pyramid of a largemouth from DVL, those fish are going to the skillet (especially during the winter when bass are supposedly better tasting).