PDA

View Full Version : Lone pine 3-7- 3-9-08

sktruth
03-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Arrived in Lope Pine @ about 8:30 pm friday night. We were staying in Lone Pine campground. Woke up to a beautiful sunrise. Made breakfast and waited for friends staying down the hill to make it the campsite. They arrived about 9:00am and we started fishing. Fished Lone pine creek for about an hour with no luck. It was really gorgeous, but a flyfishers nightmare. Brushy like no tomorrow. HORRIBLY anywaise we moved to independence creek. It was the same, very brushy. From there we deceided to try right below pleasant valley dam. It was really nice and fish were rising. I only had one taker, but i missed him. I did manage to catch myself in the back of the head with an elk hair caddis though. Since nobody was around, i cut the line, tied on another and continued fishing. Hardcore baby lol. Got back to the truck as tge sun was setting and managed to pry the thing out of my head. How dumb can i be to forget co cut the barb. Well at least i didn't catch anything. And i got what i deserved. A FLY TO THE HEAD. It was hillarious. Stopped by Shats for some focacio (excuse the spelling) and the smokehouse meat store for bacon. Went to the owens off chalk bluff road as it was getting dark, and i managed to miss the skunk. I finally landed my first two decent sized browns. I was in amazment with theiy beauty. The only other brown i caught was very juvenile and did not have the same colors. Made back to lone pine by 9:00pm. Made some fajitas and contiunued to party. With the time change I stayed up talking with my girlfriend and her father until 3:30am. Woke up sunday and explored the alabama hills. It made a for a wonderfull trip. For a newby fly fisher i was very excited with my rewards. I tried a little of everything and never gave up. It eventually worked out. I can't wait until the next time i get back up to bishop creek or the owens. I love it. Anywiase with that being said, i hope you enjoy all the pics.

sktruth
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
here r the rest of the pics. sry guys for so many.

FISH_HUNTER
03-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Dude Don't Ever Be Sorry About Posting Too Many Pics.
Especially Pics. From Up North On The 395. That Area Is
Sooooo Beautiful. Can't Wait...oh Yeah Nice Fish Btw.

jeff4321
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
dang. i havent fished lone pine since summer. when i was up there i KILLED IT. - i mean. like 60+ fish days. i caught so many fish, i got bored of catching fish. unbelievable?-believe it.

man.

good times, im gunna have to make another trip up there for sure.

Brian_GSC
03-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Cool report, and good look'n brown!

sktruth
03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
i forgot to add, all fish, were caught photographer and then successfully released. No harmed fish.

one_leg
03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Way to go!!!

O_L

Trout-Slayer77
03-13-2008, 03:23 PM
thanks for the report, and congrats on the brownies !!!

BishopTrouter
03-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Very cool report... and as fish hunter said... there is no such thing as too many pictures

big_mike_70
03-14-2008, 09:45 AM
nice pics...and fish...cant get enough seirra photos...ill be up the april 18-20...CANT FRICKEN WAIT

Mater
03-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice pics. Looks fun.

Beancounter
03-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Beautiful pics!
It's never too much!

Granny Fish
03-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Beautiful pictures. A stop at Schat's Bakery and the smoke house always completes my trip too. ;)

txcurry
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Schatt's sheepherders bread, I could eat a whole loaf, and the cheese bread and the jalapeno bread, mmm!
I have fished Lone Pine creek with a short fly rod and nymphs, it's the only way, LOts of brushbusting. I have caught browns in the sandpit and off the beaten paths way back in the out of way places on Lone Pine. For dry fly fishing I like Hot Creek before Memorial day.

steve092
03-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Nice brownie!

Badfish2
04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Those are nice, more and more browns are showing up in the sierras. At the end of last season I caught a ton at Convict in the back