PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor- seen any bonita around ?

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Has anyone seen the bonita around in King Harbor lately (redondo beach) ??

I'll most likely be hitting it sunday for the usual Halibut & sandies, just wondering if anyone has been spotting/nailing the boneheads...I tried calling the boat rentals there but they don't answer and the sportfishing guys report on the pier was made up...I could tell
Thanks,
Gary

Ricky-Ray
03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Haven't heard of any. Water's still cold for them boneheads.

Cangler
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
A made up sportsfishing report ? ... never ! ;)

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Haven't heard of any. Water's still cold for them boneheads.

Yeah I realize the waters still relatively cold for them but in years past, I used to get the bonita all year long in the harbor there since the warm water from the Edison plant flows directly out of that Bubble hole, it's been quite some time since I've seen them there year round but it does happen.
Thank for the heads up though, all info is appreciated, I used to fish there regularly, I'm going to get back on that area !

A made up sportsfishing report ? ... never ! ;)
Yeah... I could tell that this dude at the sportfishing landings report was was full of $%#@ I pretty much know whats going on without asking...he even mentioned getting sheephead in the harbor...I almost started laughing then...he went on to name just about any possible species that certainly can be caught in the harbor but not this time of season.....

Again thanks for any info from anyone whos been over there lately....normally I talk to the guys at the Rocky Point skiffyard, I usually get a solid answer from them but they don't answer now..

GeordyBass
03-12-2008, 04:06 PM
bathtub fishing anyone?J/K gary...i wanna try this lets go one day...

kgselect
03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I generally fish King Harbor a few times a year. Normally, you won't see bonita & cuda there until Summer (June - Sept. & Oct ), unless the power plant is pumping hot water. Even then, it's not a sure thing. Unfortunately, in the Summer, you have to be careful of red tide, which has invaded the harbor a number of times over the past few Summers. Red tide will kill the bite. Also, live bait is alway an "iffy" proposition. However, I have seen some very nice halibut come out of the habor. Good luck.

ymin72
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
...he even mentioned getting sheephead in the harbor...

There was a rumor last month about a 20+# sheephead that was caught inside the harbor.
I know the landing employees had a "pet" sheephead that they kept feeding.
Not sure if this is the same fish that was caught though.

chris
03-12-2008, 05:51 PM
a couple weeks ago i trolled x raps and luckycraft's for a half hour before leaving dana and we got a 23 and 26 inch barricuda and 15 inch jack smelt. I know a little off topic thought it might help

bonitoboy
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi I went like a month ago. There was only one other skiff out. Most likely Rocky point won't be open until somebody starts catching something in the harbor and word of mouth makes everyone come a running. There was nothing there. Kings Harbor used to be good for alot of fish hali, bonito, bass, mack, but it has dried up the last few years. If you want Bonito try Long beach harbor.

cappo
03-13-2008, 11:58 AM
There was a rumor last month about a 20+# sheephead that was caught inside the harbor.
I know the landing employees had a "pet" sheephead that they kept feeding.
Not sure if this is the same fish that was caught though.

I believe thats the one. Derrick was mentioning that someone caught it.

BakoBassin
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I remember them getting them all year there too, Gary. This was in the 80's.

the spinning reel bandit
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Shouldnt This Be On A Different Board?