PDA

View Full Version : Non-traditional Thai Beef Salad

sansou
03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
In homage to City Dad's predilection for the spicy foods:

This is a bastardized family version of Thai beef salad that packs a punch, and is best served IMO with white rice, kimchee and whole cabbage leaves (you use them to eat the rice and beef) or alternatively seaweed for Korean burrito style. The process itself doesn't take long, and you can obviously modify the "hot pepper" factor depending on whether your guests can tolerate spicy food or not.

3-4 lbs of flank steak (you can use Costco fillet mignon if you want some truly quality meat, and sirloin is a good compromise so long as fat is trimmed off)
1 bunch of mint coursely chopped
1 bunch of cilantro breaken up by hand
3 or 4 green onion stalks finely chopped
2 medium purple onions
1/4 cup of rice vinegar
2 large tablespoons of Viet fish sauce (do not omit this!)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (1/4 cup if you do not like hot & sweet taste)
6-8 cloves of FRESH garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup of lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 or 2 dried red peppers (substitute your favorite pepper here, so long as it is dried, and finely chopped...I use a food processor OUTSIDE to do this, or you'll be sneezing forever. Mex markets or Viet markets have plenty of choices for dried peppers)

Take a large bowl, marinate the onions in with rice vinegar, fish sauce & lemon juice and sugar and tbl spoon olive oil.

Take the beef and sear in butter until it is at most medium rare. While hot, cut into very very thin bite size slices. The idea is to let the meat bleed out the juices a little on your cutting board.

Take the beef and put in bowl with onions. Take the rest of all the ingredients and dump in bowl, and using a wooden spoon, thoroughly work the ingredients in together. If you're using flank, it's best to actually pound the meat with a pestle to soften it up. Let sit in fridge for a couple hours, and you will discover the citrus & vinegar will have cooked the meat a bit more. I serve it room temp, but warmed up in the microwave is good, as well as cold....everyone is different it seems.

This dish is best the next day after everything has fused together more. Some people add the cucumber but I find it gets mushy too quick, and doesn't taste as good the next day. Others add peanuts or thinly sliced raw carrots (which soften with time in the mixture)...also good.

These portions will easily serve 4-5.

City Dad
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Dang, I'm makin' that!

In case I missed it, what type of seaweed?

Also, is there a brand or type of kimchi you recomend?

sansou
03-12-2008, 11:41 AM
As a korean, I like the toasted thin seaweed. I think the Japanese go for the thick stuff, which I like too, but only in my soup. You can find the toasted & slightly salted stuff in any korean store.

As for kimchee, I like the traditional cubed radish stuff and the leafy type. No particular brand. I buy mine locally here on Convoy St. where there is a couple big supermarkets. Be forwarned that your house is going to smell something fierce once you open the jar.

Fisherman57
03-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Note to self: Move upwind of City Dad's Kimchee Adobe.... :lol:

aboos
03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
making me hungry!! gotta try that one day!

Daryl
03-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Sounds really good. Thanks for posting.

Fisherman57
03-31-2008, 08:46 AM
I finally had a chance to make this over the weekend.... wow, good stuff! :thumb:

~larissa
03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
now i gotta try it... :confused:

sansou
04-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I finally had a chance to make this over the weekend.... wow, good stuff! :thumb:

Did you try "kicking it up a notch" like I mentioned by heating up the dry peppers in a pan before crushing them? The heating brings out the hot factor in the peppers bigtime!

Troutman65
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Note to self: Move upwind of City Dad's Kimchee Adobe.... :lol:

:rofl:;)

TM65

Troutman65
04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Sounds really good. Thanks for posting.

Ditto !!!!;)

Troutman65

Wingnut
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Had this dish before... DELICIOUS! :mrgreen:

Fisherman57
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Did you try "kicking it up a notch" like I mentioned by heating up the dry peppers in a pan before crushing them? The heating brings out the hot factor in the peppers bigtime!

I was supposed to use peppers? :lol: :bang:

OK..... Ill give it another go this weekend and see if I can do it right this time....... will adding the dry peppers result in a hot tailpipe?

Wingnut
04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Just had some of this past weekend... delicious! ;) :mrgreen:

Fisherman57
04-16-2008, 10:08 PM
OK Emeril Sansou...... how long do I heat the peppers and at what temp?

Im gonna try it again Saturday....... then Ill let ya know...

Until then.............. BAM!

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/TEAM57FISHING/chefrich.jpg

Wingnut
04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
OMG, that hilarious Dana! :bigsmile:

Bon appetit Sansou! :mrgreen:

kpn
05-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Just finished the salad. They're GOOD!

Here's the pictures.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/Fisherman7/IMG_1719.jpg
And a beer :lol:.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/Fisherman7/IMG_1722.jpg

Thanks Sansou.

KPN.

sansou
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh man! Nice job KPN! I may have to make some this week after seeing your pics!! (IMO, extra spicy is the best!)

Fisherman57
05-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Now THAT looks good!

CASTAWAY
03-28-2009, 09:03 AM

Careful with those heat up then crushed peppers. I still have three jars full. I'm afraid of them. But once in a while I would sprinkle some on my food.:Razz:

Laab chicken, fish, and taw is my favorite.:Razz: