PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Beach Question...

GeordyBass
03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm new to fishing the ocean and i wanted to know how to get get to the Kelp fields from the sunset aquatic marina...and what to use...I'm just a freshwater fisherman who occasionally fishes off harbors and rocks....A "noob"...LOL.Can my 12' Boston whaler type skiff make it there?

Fish Dog
03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
First off, I wouldn't take a 12 footer outside the breakwater and, depending on the wind conditions, wouldn't take it outside of Huntington Harbor much of the time. With that said if you're taking the Horseshoe Kelp that's about 4 or 5 miles outside the breakwater, but, you won't see any "Kelp" there. I'm not sure why that area has that name unless there used to be visible kelp there some time back. Maybe someone else here can enlighten us on that. The closest actual visible kelp you'll be able to find is off the Palos Verdes which is about 12 miles (at least) from HH. If you're going to go to Palos Verdes your best bet might be to go to Cabrillo to launch. You'd then be something like 4 miles to the nearest kelp. If you really have the urge to fish some kelp beds from your 12 footer your best bet would be the kelp off Corona Del Mar. You could go out of Newport harbor and make a sharp left as you leave the breakwater and the first kelp is only about 1/3 of a mile from the harbor mouth. This might be doable early in the day in your little boat on a calm day if you watch the wind. In any case if you do venture out there be sure to have a VHF radio (handheld waterproof would do for your boat), a GPS (again, a small hand held unit would do) and a cell phone. I use a Garmin GPS 12 for my boat (19 foot center console) and it puts me right on the spot, or back to the harbor every time. Just be very careful, take your safety equipment, and really watch the weather, especially the wind. It can turn on you in minutes and you can get in trouble real easy real quick. I've had a few harry times in my boat and I know I wouldn't have made it in something much smaller.

GeordyBass
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks for the info.I really want to try this...I was talking to this guy who was in a 10' inflatable
he told me that the kelp fields are a great place to go fish...i thought if his is worthy of going then maybe my skiff can make it...i dont have a gps...I have a 5 mile range walkie talkie..but i guess it wont work...Maybe somebody can accompany me on a trip there...