PDA

View Full Version : 5 days on the Owens

retired/lasd
03-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Got back Sunday night after spending 5 days fishing the Lower Owens. The fishing was very slow if not horrible. The water was a very murky brown due to the increased flows by DWP.
On Wed. I fished for 5 hours and never had a bite using everything I had. Thursday I fished from Line St. to Collins Rd for about 7 hours and caught 2 small ones on a Panther Martin lure.

Went to PVR on Friday, the water level was very low but in 5 hours I caught 7, one being 19 inches andthe other 17 inches. both were caught on a green rooster tail.

Sat. about noon I cast a nightcrawler into the river and instantly a huge trout grabbed it, jumped out of the water and I saw that it was at least 5-6 pounds. One big problem, I was standing on a high bank about 20-25 feet above the river witn no close access to get down to the water. After about 1 minute the fish came off the hook. I walked about 100 yards up river where I could get down to the water and put on another nightcrawler, cast, and 10 seconds later and was gifted with a 22 inch pink meated rainbow, which will be dinner tonight.

The wind started about 1230 and it was howling, blowing dust and was downright miserable, fished for about 2 more hours and never had a bite.

Fished Sunday for 6 hours and caught 2 small rainbows. Talked to other fishermen and they
all agreed that the fishing was terrible. Some guys had been skunked 2-3 days straight.

There was the recent fire South of Warm Springs which burned about 75-100 acres on both sides of the river.

I did my usual empty can pick up and brought home 67 aluminum cans that unk. slobs threw on the ground. At 1.75 a pound it gives me a little free gas money, and speaking of gas it was expensive.

The weather was great mid 60's.

Sorry no pictures, I'm not a picture taking person .

FISH_HUNTER
03-11-2008, 08:28 AM
5 Day's Of Preseason Fishing In God's Country Man Your A Lucky Man!
Up There Catching Is A Bonus

troutdog
03-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Congrats on the one that didn't elude your dinner table! Nice report lasd....keep them coming.

TD

INDOANGLER2
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I love that are in the off season, Even though it was slow your still lucky to get away. Thanks for the report.